Rpm spiking!!

poytress11

Registered
So only had my busa short time and been riding a lot lately and lastnight was riding around was in second gear around 6000rpm and it sounded like the rpm spiked super high but i didnt go any faster any ideas?

Need more info. Did you hear any noise? What year is you bike? How many miles? It could be your clutch slipped or it could be a bad second gear. I am sure it could be a hand full of other things as well.

One time? Or has this been going on for a while?

Was/is it cold outside?
When was the oil last changed?

Guess you will have to ride it some more and see if it keeps happening.

If all the gears are fine EXCEPT 2nd then you found your problem most likely.

Mine did that yesterday, but the road and tires were cold and the arse kicked out a little on me. I upshifted. Your problem could be related to the Gen I second gear issue, or clutch ( oil level good, have you changed the oil recently ? ), probably not bad sprockets because you should feel that one. Never heard of cush drive rubbers doing this.

Supposedly the oil was changed right before i bought it two weeks ago. I rode today and it didnt do it so i dunno what happened and it did it later in my ride so bike was warmed up

My rear tire broke loose. True story but I was just being funny. The reason I asked is the clutches are wet and low oil level can cause issues as well as using the wrong type of oil.

Did it make any noise when the RPM came back down? Were you on the throttle hard? Try to make it do it again, if it feels like a chain jumping while in second gear, you have found your problem. If it will act up in other gears you'll need to keep looking.

I was on the throttle pretty hard and it did it yesterday again when it was cold i think i will tighten my chain and go from there

I live in alberta canada and it doesn't happen all the time so i dunno i will keep an eye on it if it begins to cause problems i will get a mechanic look at it.

Try not to depress the clutch too much in second and see if it still happens. Most likley its slipping in 2nd.
It may be a good idea to replace the clutch plates as you may not know what the previous owers riding habits were, they could be burnt and hence slipping.

I tend to use Suzuki OEM whenever I can, not much of aftermarket selection up north + shipping / duty etc.
However, there are a few member supporters that can recommend good aftermarket clutch baskets.

Back