Royal Purple?

6000kms in 3 months means its time for synthetic, I've been looking at reviews on the net and all have somewhat mixed results, I read a comparison a year or 2 ago that said Royal Purple was damn fine oil, but now everything I read says its not great ???and I need Amsoil (which is pretty damn hard to get where I live:banghead:), I was using Moblie 1 in my old bike and didn't have to many probs.

My Questions:

Any1 used Royal Purple?/what did you think?

What are your thoughts on the others?:please::beerchug:

Any Synthetic is fine as long as it is classified for Motorcycles. The major difference between the oils is that each one does one thing better. They all use the same base stock (OIL) then each has a recipe of additives they add making it better at one thing. Like RP best at sheer strength or cooling. my Fave is RP but to each his own. RP makes all the oil that Mobil uses in all the equipment they use. So go figure!

Last edited:
I am not sure where you live but you can always sing up to be a dealer for $20.00 a year like i did and get the Amsoil at a very good price. You might find that you might use it in your other vehicles also. Look on line here Amsoil Synthetic Oil Change! Amzoil-Best synthetic oil! Some say Emsoil, Amsiol, Amsol Get an Amsoil packet to sing up. Good luck

sorry about the lack of location details (should be fixed now), I checked out the link but suspect this only applies to the U.S, there is an Aust dealer but it seems Amsoil hasn't really taken off here to the point where its easily available:banghead:

Thanks everyone for your input, its nice to get an opinion and not have to go blindly into the unknown:beerchug::thumbsup:

Any Synthetic is fine as long as it is classified for Motorcycles. The major difference between the oils is that each one does one thing better. They all use the same base stock (OIL) then each has a recipe of additives they add making it better at one thing. Like RP best at sheer strength or cooling. my Fave is RP but to each his own. RP makes all the oil that Mobil uses in all the equipment they use. So go figure!

Not true-Redline and a few others use Group 5 base stocks(ester). Here's an excerpt from their website:
Red Line formulates fully-synthetic oils and chemically-advanced additives using the world’s finest base stocks. Rather than cutting costs by blending in petroleum products, Red Line's motor oils and gear oils use superior ester base stocks that provide extreme stability at high temperatures and superior film strength at lower viscosities where more power can be produced.

I did a test on my 2003 Suburban. 87,000miles and I drive HARD, I pull a trailer pretty regular too. I have used Pennzoil and Castrol since buying it new in 2003. I change oil/filter every 3-4000 miles and the oil is always BLACK/burnt. I tried Rotella T 15w40 on my last oil change and was very impressed. I went 6300 miles on the Rotella T:whistle: by accident. When I dropped the oil it was still pretty clean(brown) not black. Thats all I needed to see. Rotella t and Rotella Synthetic for me.:bowdown:

I think that when an oil changes color, dark, it's absorbing contamnents from the combustion process, etc. I dont think its burnt. If you really want to get into oil then check out this site;

Bob Is The Oil Guy - Forums powered by UBB.threadsâ„¢

And a sub of that, re motorcycles; Motorcycles and Motorcycle Lubrication - Bob Is The Oil Guy

Been using it in cars and bikes for quite awhile, never had a problem. I like it, my 08 runs great with it. You would think most synthetics would be really close in comparison, I'm sure folks will argue it to no end anyway.

Does anyone have experience with IPONE synthetic. I will be changing to synthetic in the spring. My dealer has AMSOIl as well but says the IPONE is very popular.

do a serch on this site for Royal Purple threads-then make up your mind:beerchug:

I use RP in my Busa, my '71 Chevelle, and my '06 300SRT8:bowdown: better gas mileage, better engine temps, and longer change intervals (i go 4-5k miles on Busa, 3-4k in the cars)

Yeah I bit the bullet and got some ( man oils exe here $140 for 4 liters!), goes in tomorrow, should have the fairings back on by the W/E (they scratched it last time they did the service, so I pulled em all this time and whilst the service is being done the paints getting fixed 2)

I'll update on my findings after the first couple of rides:thumbsup: (and yes I'd love to do my own servicing and am a tech by trade but @ 6000ks if somthing goes wrong with the motor I don't want anyone trying to get outta fixing it!) thanks for the help:beerchug:

Any Synthetic is fine as long as it is classified for Motorcycles.

"Classified" for motorcycles?

I am unsure what that means. There really isn't a "classification" for motorcycles. When a manufacturer calls a lubricant "Motorcycle Oil" it usually means they can charge three or four times as much for the same product.

Liquid cooled engines do not suffer the same extremes of temperature change that air cooled engines do. And the old argument that additives in car oils will not deal with transmissions and wet clutches is simply bollocks!

"Classified" for motorcycles?

I am unsure what that means. There really isn't a "classification" for motorcycles. When a manufacturer calls a lubricant "Motorcycle Oil" it usually means they can charge three or four times as much for the same product.

Liquid cooled engines do not suffer the same extremes of temperature change that air cooled engines do. And the old argument that additives in car oils will not deal with transmissions and wet clutches is simply bollocks!

Not true. The second I tried auto oil in my turbo bike, the clutch started to slip. Auto oils are not designed to cope with a wet clutch and gears.

Castrol Actevo 10w40 from CycleGear. Around 4 bucks a quart. Ran in my other Busa for 45 thousand miles. No problems. Still had stock clutches. Some may want to pay 7-9 bucks a quart. Not sure why. I just look at the reality of it. My bike has never overheated or even run hot. Don't figure I need a different oil to lower the temps. Just don't see the advantage of Amsoil, Royal Purple, etc. Bike shifts great as well.

Good luck on whatever you choose.

Back