Rounded Hex Bolt

LightCycle

Donating Member
Registered
Howdy All...

Well, I was just getting started with my mods, and my last fairing bolt rounded on the inside.

I've tried beating it with a hammer, WD-40, using a slightly larger allen wrench, but no good.

The inside of the hex is rounded. I did a search, but only found stuff related to the oil pan bolt.

Anyone know how I can get this bolt out? I'm not off to a very good start.

Thanks.

You rounded a faring bolt and beat it with a hammer?
wow.gif

I may have the wrong bolt in mind, do you have a pic or more detail of which one it is?

Grind a slot into the head of the bolt and use a standard screwdriver. Unless it is one of the bolts that are in too far to get a grinder on it.

I usually use my dremel and grind a slot in it then a regular screw driver.

No pic, sorry. It's on the side fairing. There are about 6 the same size and one big one. I rounded one of the six. It's a recessed hex bolt for an allen wrench.

The allen wrench worked great on the rest. I came to the last one, and it started to round on the inside. I WD-40'd it, still wouldn't budge so I gave it a few wacks with a same side allen bit in an extension to try and reform the hole, which worked until I tried to loosen it again, and the inside of the bolt rounded out.

So I'll need a replacement fairing bolt if anyone knows...

My guess is that the dealer cross threaded it, and it's seized. It's on the left side, so I've never taken that side fairing off.

Take a drill bit and drill the head off, then remove the faring and use vise grips to get the threads out.

It looks like I'm going to have to drill. The bolt in on the left side fairing bottom right. I got the dremel out and put my steel cutter wheel on it, but the bolt is recessed in the plastic at an angle, and I didn't have much clearance for the dremel, so I tried cutting up steel screws to wear down the dremel cutting wheel, but all I did was make a bunch of cool sparks  
beerchug.gif
 and wound up with a bunch of screws cut in half  
super.gif

So I guess I'm going to have to drill, which I've never done. I'll be running out to pep boys tomorrow and try a steel drill bit, and then try to cut a slot into the hex head, enough to get some type of grip on it by something.

It's hard to believe WD-40 didn't break this thing loose. Anyone got any other oil suggestions?

Thanks

I've done that before.

I used a small drill bill and made the center of the bolt a little deeper. I then took a flat head screwdriver that just about fit and hammered it in. It put small grooves down the inside of the bolt and then I just turned the screw driver.

I did it this way because I was scared the dremel would slip and mess up the fairing.

It worked great.

(heavybusa @ Apr. 13 2007,21:28) Take a drill bit and drill the head off, then remove the faring and use vise grips to get the threads out.
you can use the vise grips directly on the screw after you drill it a bit on the center hole.use a drill a little smaller than the size of the damaged hole

Any hardware store will have something called an "Easy-out" which come in different sizes- it is a left twist bit that you insert into the stripped out hole, tap with a hammer to bite into the sides and twist out the screw. Piece of cake.
smile.gif

(phatj33pyj @ Apr. 13 2007,15:06) I've done that before.

I used a small drill bill and made the center of the bolt a little deeper. I then took a flat head screwdriver that just about fit and hammered it in. It put small grooves down the inside of the bolt and then I just turned the screw driver.

I did it this way because I was scared the dremel would slip and mess up the fairing.

It worked great.
+1 Did the same thing! Had the a similar problem with a fairing screw!

Back