ROTORS AND WHEEL RUNNING HOT

outlaw06

Registered
Code:
 [ATTACH=full]1428460[/ATTACH] I have a 2005 le hayabusa,had the wheels chromed last year,replaced the pads w/EBC HH pads,and am running stock rotors,w/ the exception of the front carriers have been chromed,the problem im having is the rear rotor is getting hot eneough to fry a egg on in just a short distance,maybe 10 or 12 mi,without any hard braking,the rear wheel is also showing more heat than it should on the hub,the front wheel on the right front rotor is getting warm but nothing like the rear rotor and the left front rotor is running cool like they all should be running,im afraid ill run into bearing failure if i keep running this bike,ive got it parked until i can figure out whats going on,any help would be appreciated,by the way the bike rolls freely with no drag on the pads when i roll it in neutral,this is what has me stumped.PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• hello.gif
    hello.gif
    6.3 KB · Views: 48
How do the rotors look? Do they look baked? You will need to get the rear wheel off the ground to check for wheel alignment, and to see if the brake pads are dragging, or if the caliper's pistons are hanging up. I know you said the bike rolls freely in neutral, but I strongly suggest re-checking everything with the wheel in the air.

I would:

1. Loosen and re-torque everything to spec. (If you haven't already)
2. Check and/or flush the brake lines. (Old fluid can accumulate moisture and cause thermal expansion)
3. Check rear brake adjustment. (From pedal to master cylinder)
4. Check wheel runout (You may have one or more bearings starting to go)

Edit:Spelling

If it rolls and nothing is hanging up when the rear is off the ground checking it then run it and don't worry. Unless the heat isn't coming off the brakes and it's the bearings getting hot. Maybe time for new bearings. Easy and cheap peace of mind.

If it rolls and nothing is hanging up when the rear is off the ground checking it then run it and don't worry. Unless the heat isn't coming off the brakes and it's the bearings getting hot. Maybe time for new bearings. Easy and cheap peace of mind.
I say bearings, get it fixed asap.

Blue1

i have the same problems since going to the hh pads im getting ready to change them out . my bike i an 07 and having this problem i dont think its my bearings so im gonna chnage the pads out to so mething else to see if it stops.

Also check the chain adjustment/wear, if you have tight spots (lack of lubrication) or it does not have enough slack, it could cause extra friction and possibly pull the rotor into contact with the pads. Happened to my '01 right after I bought it because the chain was not adjusted right and the a$$ who owned it before me never lubed the chain.

The HH pads are not the problem. Check to see if the calipers are dragging and check your right foot. You might unknowingly be slightly applying the rear brake as you ride. Check for any kinked brake lines. Actually, check everything related to the rear brake completely. It's probly something simple. Don't assume the worst right off the bat, work up to it. The HH pads do create more friction, that's how they work better, but they shouldn't be causing your problem. I think you might have a corroded caliper that's slightly dragging.

The HH pads are not the problem.   Check to see if the calipers are dragging and check your right foot.  You might unknowingly be slightly applying the rear brake as you ride.    Check for any kinked brake lines. Actually, check everything related to the rear brake completely. It's probly something simple. Don't assume the worst right off the bat, work up to it. The HH pads do create more friction, that's how they work better, but they shouldn't be causing your problem.  I think you might have a corroded caliper that's slightly dragging.
And they do get dirty.  
winkold.gif

r8

View attachment 1428580

Were the inside chromed also? You stated "since you got them chromed" it might be the problem. The pistons could be sticking or something is blocked.

Also check your fluid level. To much fluid is not a good thing. When the fluid gets hot it expands (of course) then retracts when cool.

As you use the brakes the pistons don't retract as they should due to expansion of the fluid. If you are checking the wheel movement and the fluid has cooled down just a little it will turn freely as it should.

Also check position of rear spring clip. If installed backwards your rear pads will never fully retract.

r8

DSCN3620.jpg

The HH pads are not the problem.   Check to see if the calipers are dragging and check your right foot.  You might unknowingly be slightly applying the rear brake as you ride.    Check for any kinked brake lines. Actually, check everything related to the rear brake completely. It's probly something simple. Don't assume the worst right off the bat, work up to it. The HH pads do create more friction, that's how they work better, but they shouldn't be causing your problem.  I think you might have a corroded caliper that's slightly dragging.
And they do get dirty.  
winkold.gif

r8

View attachment 1592709 </span>
[/Quote]
laugh.gif I wonder who those went to? laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Code:
 [ATTACH=full]1428732[/ATTACH] I have a 2005 le hayabusa,had the wheels chromed last year,replaced the pads w/EBC HH pads,and am running stock rotors,w/ the exception of the front carriers have been chromed,the problem im having is the rear rotor is getting hot eneough to fry a egg on in just a short distance,maybe 10 or 12 mi,without any hard braking,the rear wheel is also showing more heat than it should on the hub,the front wheel on the right front rotor is getting warm but nothing like the rear rotor and the left front rotor is running cool like they all should be running,im afraid ill run into bearing failure if i keep running this bike,ive got it parked until i can figure out whats going on,any help would be appreciated,by the way the bike rolls freely with no drag on the pads when i roll it in neutral,this is what has me stumped.PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!![/quote]
I appreciate all the feedback on my rotor situation,i was asked do the rotors look baked? yes my rear rotor does,the right front one is running on the extra warm side but the rotor looks fine,the left front side runnin cool as it should,ill check the calipers today,i did not have them chromed,but i did have them powdercoated,and they did a decent job of not getting anything in the piston bores,and i bought complete rebuild kits from suzuki,and had them rebuilt,put on a full set of galfer ss brake lines,HH pads and new fluid,may have put 600 mi on the bike since so i dont think corrosion is a problem,i know the wheel is adjusted properly and the chain is lubed,for this is when i first noticed this problem as i was preheating the chain prior to relubing it,ill get it off the ground again and look further,could be brgs,the bike only has 3500mi but that dosent mean they cant go bad,thx again,outlaw

Attachments

• hello.gif
    hello.gif
    6.3 KB · Views: 42
Code:
 [ATTACH=full]1428788[/ATTACH] I have a 2005 le hayabusa,had the wheels chromed last year,replaced the pads w/EBC HH pads,and am running stock rotors,w/ the exception of the front carriers have been chromed,the problem im having is the rear rotor is getting hot eneough to fry a egg on in just a short distance,maybe 10 or 12 mi,without any hard braking,the rear wheel is also showing more heat than it should on the hub,the front wheel on the right front rotor is getting warm but nothing like the rear rotor and the left front rotor is running cool like they all should be running,im afraid ill run into bearing failure if i keep running this bike,ive got it parked until i can figure out whats going on,any help would be appreciated,by the way the bike rolls freely with no drag on the pads when i roll it in neutral,this is what has me stumped.PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!![/quote]
I'm having the same problem with my '05 rear brake.

I just replaced the pads with EBC HH (I did the front last year) and I've noticed after a ride of 20 miles with minimal use of rear brake that the rotor is too hot for me to hold my hand to (only outer part, not the carrier).

I checked wheel alignment (OK), jacked up the rear end and there is a little drag by the pads, but not enough that I can't spin the wheel 1/2 turn without effort. I also pushed the rear brake pedal and released and the pads come off the rotor, but the slight drag is still there.

When I put new pads on I also bled the brakes (and put on a new Pilot Power). When I topped off the master cylinder I filled it to the top line (the full line). I'm thinking take out a little brake fluid?

BTW, when I put the new HH's on the front last year I also bled the brakes and did not have the hot rotor problem.

Drumminman

Attachments

• hello.gif
    hello.gif
    6.3 KB · Views: 49
This would be my approach to the problem:

Remove the rear caliper. Using a big flat screwdriver, push the pucks all the way into the caliper. Reinstall the caliper and ride the bike. Keep your right toe on the peg so there is no chance of touching the brake lever. If the wheel/rotor still gets hot, it's not the brake. I'd also clean the pucks very clean with brake clean and a tooth brush as to make sure they are working properly.

I have a sneaky hunch the crome may be the culprit, causing the pucks to stick and not release properly?

Stupid question, but the the bearings were all removed before the chroming and then relpaced after the chroming correct?

Back