Rotor Failure

tinmann840

Registered
I did a walk around and noticed the left front rotor broken. I rolled the bike forward to check the rest of the rotor and it would hang up when it got to the caliper. You would think that would be noticeable when riding. Now it's going to be almost impossible to find a Galfer front wave in that color of light blue. I guess I'll put the stock ones back on tomorrow. I contacted Galfer and I'll probably buy a brand new set. These were used.

IMG_20160903_132045766_zps1lzpgc8b.jpg

Last edited:
It's freakin snapped in half. Short of something hitting it and causing a fracture, I'm at a loss. What's the thickness of the rotor measure? Are you 100% there Galfer and not knockoffs?

Last edited:
That looks pretty ugly. I wonder what can casue a rotor to break like that. I'm glad it's a galfer and not China rotor or there would be some interesting comments on here. LOL!

That looks pretty ugly. I wonder what can casue a rotor to break like that. I'm glad it's a galfer and not China rotor or there would be some interesting comments on here. LOL!
I know, I already get flamed enough at my union local hall for riding a Japanese motorcycle. I may not be able to ride in the MC club but nothing stops me from going Tora, Tora, Tora on them and riding all around them going Bonzai! Bonzai!.

Seized buttons holding the supposed-to-be-floating rotor to the hub plate maybe? I see rust on the cracked surface, could have been fatigued and cracking for a while before it let go.

I'd say you were lucky that nothing catastrophic happened! Imagine a front wheel sudden-stoppage at speed. :shocked::grim:

Seized buttons holding the supposed-to-be-floating rotor to the hub plate maybe? I see rust on the cracked surface, could have been fatigued and cracking for a while before it let go.

I'd say you were lucky that nothing catastrophic happened! Imagine a front wheel sudden-stoppage at speed. :shocked::grim:

I was think the same thing the rust might be from all the rain we got from the hurricane. Even though I keep it covered it was still outside.

Maybe I've missed em...but I'm not familiar with that pattern on any galfers I've seen.

The teardrops I've seen (Arashi). But the round holes are what's throwing me off. Galfer throws their name and their patent on everything.

Back