Rotating Sphere 4 Stroke Engine

Robot

Donating Member
Registered
Here’s a 4 stroke engine concept you have to see to understand, the Peraves Superballmotor uses a multipart sphere to replace the usual crankshaft, rods and pistons of a normal internal combustion engine.

The moving parts of the sphere have ceramic balls on their exterior which travel in grooves in the case surrounding the sphere. The rotating motion of the sphere causes the moving parts, which serve as pistons, to go through the 4 stroke cycle in 2 working chambers, which would be comparable to a 2 cylinder engine. Air and fuel are introduced at the sides near the rotating axis, are supercharged through the use of prechambers, flow into the gaps in the sphere created by the motion of the sphere, followed by compression, power and exhaust as you would expect. You have to watch the animation on their site to see the whole process because a description doesn’t work very well.

"Start Video" is at the bottom of the page, LINK:

PERAVES

Server for video must be overseas? Takes a looonnnnggg time to load.

WOW John! Very interesting, I'd like to see this up close and personal. Any output/fuel consumption numbers? After seeing the little Arielatom roadster, makes me wonder about putting one of these at each wheel of an exoskeletal package like the Ariel....???

Cool technology! :thumbsup: :beerchug:

Last edited:
downloaded the wmv file and watched. very cool concept. i would like to actually hear what it sounds like.

hmm... wonder what the tolerances are and how it actually seals the "chamber"...

Last edited:
Sounds like a variation of the rotary that sits in my car right now......

Now that it's finally downloaded and I have watched it...I guess I don't really understand how the strokes actually exert force and turn the motor over....Seems like an overthought rotary with more things to go wrong...but who knows?

Last edited:
looks pretty sweet to me. Youd achieve rotation by the chambers expanding, which would force the ball to rotate, because the ceramic balls have channels that they're forced to follow. as they separate, they're also forced forward.

I bet you could get RIDICULOUS RPM out of that, too.

Back