Rostra cruise control unit

Mr Bogus

Trouble Makers Inc.
Donating Member
Registered
I am installing the Rostra cruise (all electric) and am having a bit of a time finding anyone that has done this on a busa... anyone have any info on this? (busa install)

I did find a pretty good article on a ST1300 but busa specific would really be nice

thanks!

Randy

he is talking about a "throttle rocker"

grip.jpg

I have a Throttlemeister but want a true cruise control. Audiovox has one but is vacuum operated and I want full electric (Rostra) But there are some questions about the VSS and the Tach connections as well

Throttle rocker? comes right off, throttlemeister replaces the bar ends. Just that running the throttle lock leaves the bike changing speed 10-20 mph depending on the road grade.

Yes there is a Busa specific thread on this install. Search is down so I can't help find it but I know that somebody installed an all electronic unit.

I have the audiovox. I think all the in install threads are for audiovox CCs. audiovox makes the vacuum servo and an all electric. It should be basically the same. The audiovox doesn't require the VSS for manual transmission vehicles, just the tach input. I'm pulling the tach signal from a single coil and set the servo to monitor 2000 ppm. I don't know if that helps.

So are you saying that the VSS is connected to the coil lead in addition to the tach sensor?

This is what I posted in your thread in Electical Mods:

I believe it was the pink wire from the stock speed sensor that I hooked the VSS wire to. As for the tach wire, I hooked into the main harness on the left side of the bike so the wire was yellow/blue. I don't remember the exact ppm but I'm pretty sure my switches are set like this:
1-4 off
5-7 on
8-9 off
10 on
11 off
12 on

Thanks for the settings jjmetheny ... Sorry I missed the post on the thread (auto subscribe would be such a nice option here)

This unit cost 2X as much as the audiovox but the no vacuum part makes a lot of difference when running a lot of hills.

back to the garage...
beerchug.gif

Just to let you guys know, years ago Rostra made all the Audiovox units,, And i think its still the same!

This is how I have mine wired, all connections where made at the main wire harness on the left side of the bike.

Bike                 Cruise
Yellow/Blue    -    Dark Blue
    Pink         -       Gray
    Red        -    Orange/Green
   Violet       -     White/Black
    Brown      -       Brown
I have the ground hooked to the battery.

If you have LED taillights you will need to wire in a relay. This was taken from the FAQ on the Rostra site.
<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
Note: When using LED tail lights will require Automotive Relay five function to bypass brake
system LED do not let Violet wire cold side brake see ground threw brake lights. Wire in as
following:

85 to cold brake (+12V when brake is pressed)
86 to Ground
87 N/A
87A to violet wire from cruise harness
30 to Ground[/quote]

I have the relay wired in already.. I have resistors back there already for the TS so the flasher speed is correct but as the brakes are on much more, I figure the relay is safer than a resistor that is going to build heat.

I found a spot behind the motor to mount the servo but not sure that is the best spot... not sure but looks like it might fit in the right side sidepod (under pillion)

I am also concerned about the control switch. Not very weather proof and as I ride in the rain, I am going to have to either build or find a waterproof housing (cover/backplate) for this. I think I can seal the backside with silicone and then just make a water tight coverplate.

ok I am assuming that the VSS is the unit located by the sprocket (photo) I do not have my fluke meter here and so can not see if I am correct could someone verify this? The pink wire would be this one (VSS)in th photo?

vss1.jpg

vss2.jpg

good deal, I found where it and the tach lead pop out on the left side of the ECU... Really did not want to break the insulation out where the weather could get to it

Back