Rossi not penalized

Charlesbusa

Used to be a SoCal Busa
Donating Member
Registered
I was curious about the outcome of Hayden's remark that Rossi passed Stoner on a waving yellow thrown because Checa had an incident.

Did a little research and...

found this

PHILLIP ISLAND, Australia, Sept 17 (Reuters) - Stewards are looking into a complaint that world champion Valentino Rossi overtook a rival at the Australian MotoGP Grand Prix while the yellow flags were out.

World championship leader Nicky Hayden was reported as saying Rossi overtook Australian Casey Stoner on lap 18 while yellow flags were being waved following Carlos Checa's detour into the trackside gravel trap.

Rossi finished third in the race, a result that would see him close the gap on American Hayden to 21 points if the protest is rejected. [/Quote]

from here; http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/art...IDST_0_SPORT-MOTORCYCLING-AUSTRALIA-ROSSI.XML

and found the outcome of the investigation,

On lap 18 there was controversy as Rossi sped passed Stoner under a waving yellow flag following an incident involving Carlos Checa (Yamaha). Rossi retained his position into the next corner and gained precious time on Hayden. The Race Direction later ruled no further action should be taken as it was deemed Stoner had momentarily re-passed Rossi.[/Quote]

from here; http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2006/Sep/060917b.htm

Just thought I'd update you guys and save you time looking for it.

I'm going to review the video again
wink.gif

Just watched the video on motogp.com lap18.

With Hayden right on Rossi's rear wheel, Rossi clearly passed Stoner by out braking him for turn4(a righthand hairpin), on the exit of turn 4 Rossi went just a little wide allowing Stoner to come up alongside him.  It is impossible to tell from the camera angle if Stoner got ahead of Rossi as he rode beside Rossi.  With Rossi on the left and Stoner on the right, Rossi had the inside line through turn 5(double apex left) and Stoner wasn't able to challenge him again.  A couple turns later Rossi passed Nakano putting 2 riders between him and Hayden.  It definately slowed Hayden down and allowed Rossi to pull at least 3/4 of a second at the end of that lap, 3/4 os a second in 1/2 a lap is huge.  On lap 19 Hayden passed both Nakano and Stoner, then later caught up to Rossi's rear wheel.

If I was to judge this, I would decide that Rossi didn't obey the yellow flag and clearly passed another rider.  Additionally I would decide that Rossi did not give the position back to Stoner.  Stoner merely got beside Rossi, Stoner's bike never completely passed Rossi's bike.  And Stoner was forced outside on the next turn because Rossi had the inside position.

But I'm not the judge  
wink.gif

But Rossi did pass on a waving yellow, and I don't believe he ever gave the position back to Stoner.  They looked like they were battling for the position between turn 4 and turn 5. Rossi never held his hand up and allowed Stoner to repass him.

Here's another qutoe from superbike planet;

After the race it emerged that Race Direction were looking at an incident said to involve Rossi overtaking Stoner under a yellow flag. It happened towards the end of the race when Hayden was shadowing Rossi. Nicky says he saw the flag, Stoner doesn't remember seeing anything and Rossi obviously didn't see it. Most people wearing a Honda or HRC shirt regarded it as an open-and-shut case; Race Direction didn't see it that way. Honda are still seething, but Nicky refuses to complain. He must have thought that Rossi would be demoted in the order and it did take him a lap or two to get past Stoner. Actually, Nicky got right up behind Stoner, hoping Rossi would realize his mistake and make room for Casey to go back through and intending to take advantage himself. Nicky's view is simple: 'Rossi beat me on the track, he didn't overtake me under a yellow flag.' He still leads the Championship, but it's Rossi behind him now. Nicky is far more concerned about why he still hasn't got a clutch that will let him do a race start than he is about any yellow flag.[/Quote]

Time for a new clutch huh, time to deliver Honda, only 3 races left!

Here's a poll by superbike planet about the pass;

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/newind.htm/

After listening to one of the commentators question Rossi about the pass, Rossi is saying that he did not see the waving yellow and only person he remembers overtaking is Gibernau
SHOCKED.gif
In addition, why would'nt Stoner protest the infraction?

(newmill @ Sep. 18 2006,21:16) Was a board posted directing Rossi to give back the position?
No.

Race direction choose to look the other way. Would they have looked the other way for Nicky?? hmmmm

Doesn't matter if Rossi saw the flag or not, the rules don't say you get a free pass if you don't see a waving yellow flag. Otherwise riders would always say they never saw a yellow flag!

Race direction dropped the ball on this one. If Rossi wins the championship by 3pts or less, it will be a tainted title...

(busahaya @ Sep. 18 2006,22:14) After listening to one of the commentators question Rossi about the pass, Rossi is saying that he did not see the waving yellow and only person he remembers overtaking is Gibernau
SHOCKED.gif
exactally.
Now why doesn't Hayden win a f%cking race and then it wouldn't be a problem, oh yeah I forgot, HE CAN'T

That's ok, Hayden can use this in the tavern 10 years from now. He'll be a drunk has-been saying "I should have won the championship in 2006, but that dam Rossi cheated in Australia and that's why I came in 2nd. Well that and my "faulty" clutches!"

(black954 @ Sep. 19 2006,06:30) That's ok, Hayden can use this in the tavern 10 years from now. He'll be a drunk has-been saying "I should have won the championship in 2006, but that dam Rossi cheated in Australia and that's why I came in 2nd. Well that and my "faulty" clutches!"
laugh.gif
jump9.gif

(black954 @ Sep. 19 2006,06:30) That's ok, Hayden can use this in the tavern 10 years from now. He'll be a drunk has-been saying "I should have won the championship in 2006, but that dam Rossi cheated in Australia and that's why I came in 2nd. Well that and my "faulty" clutches!"
OK, lets review a previous quote by Hayden from superbike planet,

Rossi beat me on the track, he didn't overtake me under a yellow flag.[/Quote]

Hayden isn't making a scene about the FIM giving Rossi a break. He's acting VERY professionally about this, few riders would act as well.

Personally I think he should make a scene, because EVERYONE knows FIM is giving Rossi a break. Read the rulebook, its in black and white. I doubt very highly that FIM would have given Hayden a break if the roles were reversed.

You would think a 5 time MotoGP Champion would see flags, Rossi is no rookie. If Rossi is soo high and mighty in your view, why didn't he take responsibility??

(black954 @ Sep. 19 2006,06:27)
(busahaya @ Sep. 18 2006,22:14) After listening to one of the commentators question Rossi about the pass, Rossi is saying that he did not see the waving yellow and only person he remembers overtaking is Gibernau
SHOCKED.gif
exactally.
Now why doesn't Hayden win a f%cking race and then it wouldn't be a problem, oh yeah I forgot, HE CAN'T
Correction, he won 2 "f%cking" races.

And before you start talking about Assen and Laguna not counting;
A win is win as long as you didn't cheat(except Rossi, he is apparently allowed to cheat).  Hayden didn't cheat to win Assen or Laguna.
You can make arguments about injured riders, broken bikes, expired tires, and lucky breaks.  But REALITY is that these exist in every race.  Hayden has been injured in the past, Hayden's bike has broken in the past, Hayden's tires malfunction just as often as everyone elses, and every one gets a lucky break(except for Hopkins  
tounge.gif
).

Rossi broke the rules, his team didn't tell him, and Race Direction didn't enforce the rulebook.  Its that simple, just admit it.

So if we see Rossi win the championship, it's because he cheated on this race
all_coholic.gif
. Hayden in my view, is not going to make a big deal about the "waving yellow"because he was not the one that was overtaken by Rossi, it was Stoner. Stoner claims that not even he noticed the waving yellow. Now, if Rossi overtook Hayden, then by all means I would understand Haydens protest given that it was an infraction that was done to him. We also have to keep in mind that it was not Hayden raising the questions, it was his team.

Also, if we also take into consideration conditions that were present at race time, what if there was no divine intervention, would Hayden finish at the no. 5 position of the race? We all witnessed how far back he was from the begining of the race. From pole to almost last
SHOCKED.gif
We'll just have to wait and see what happens in the next few races that are coming up...

Charlesbusa, we should definately watch a race together. I think I would finally have someone as excited and spirited about it as me. I think they both got a break, Hayden with the restart and Rossi with the flag. I'll leave it at that. I would like to see a Rossi/Hayden battle in the next 3 races, it would be interesting to see how they both react with so much at stake.

Back