Rookie Mistake #15

mcoyote

Registered
Fortunately, I was just backing out of a driveway and gouged a chunk out of the front fender. Estimates for $200+ to replace (painted), $220 for genuine Suzuki carbon fiber, $150 for Sebimoto carbon fiber, $0 to just yank the 6 x 4mm Allen bolts and live without it.

The Sebimoto unit should ship on Monday
smile.gif

...Maybe I DO exist to serve as an example for others after all...

Don't feel to bad.......... I did the same thing less than two months ago! Left a nice little round indentation in the fender and cracked the plastic where it bolts up.........

Sorry to hear about this mistake, it is an easy one to make.

You could buy one of these thingies (pic attached)... You can get them here:
www.bikebone.com.

Or, just make one yourself with some bright colored masonary twine (available at all homo depots).

Finally, you could do like I did and get the Xena disc lock which has an alarm that goes off if the bike moves.

-Ripper.

cable.gif

You could buy one of these thingies (pic attached)...

...Finally, you could do like I did and get the Xena disc lock which has an alarm that goes off if the bike moves.
The tether might be a good idea, BUT:

Actually, I HAVE a Xena disc lock -- that's what I was using. I didn't want to mention it because I like the product so much, but it didn't go off when I got on the bike, righted it, and started moving, even though it beeped correctly when I locked it.

It's one of the new SS units with a 14mm pin -- prolly has low batteries.

Dont feel bad, I've done it too. I also was lucky and just backing up easily, but it left a dent in the fender. I'm not going to replace it, I figure I'll do it again anyway.

i put it on the back disk and forgot it and took off hard and bent my rotor and gouged threw the swingarm brace

nice huh
got a 03 swingarm to replace it with then ill weld the brace at work and sell it

MISTAKE #15....Hmmmmm I thought it was MISTAKE #1... I stopped using my XENA for the very same reason (had one one my 600). That products works correctly maybe 40% of the time???

Yeah, I was going to say, Just put the #### thing on your rear disk (CLOSE) to the non-moving parts. Plan ahead just a tiny little bit and place it closest to non-moving parts that you are going to contact first when you touch your ride next.
I used a disk lock for about 5 years and never had a problem, simply by placing it in such a way that the minute I picked up the bike it would bump and prevent the bike from moving....Instant clue in. It's not that hard...
I think MikeyUSF had the best idea though. Fug the Disc locks...Just don't use them...

I have a disk lock for my Busa, the thing I like about it is it has an alarm built in it. Ya move the bike and the alarm gos off.... Very cool and very safe... you could be sleeping and you would not mess up..

I did the same thing about five years ago when i was riding a zx6r. Cracked the front plastic about 3 inches, didnt bother me that much because the fender was designed differerntly than the bus, the crack was in the black plastic mounting arm. When i sold it the guy who bought it tried to give me 400 less, because he said thats how much it colst to replace it, little did he know i had one in the garage that i had bought for 129.00 the day before, if he wanted it. Funny thing though he still bought the bike for what i was asking, i guess he felt very stupid

Ouch!!! Doesnt it just beyond mess you up when you do things that you could have easily avoided. I am the worst at it and it eats me up and I generally loose my temper and break more things and then get disgruntled cause i did that. Take it easy.

Back