Rolling resistance...?

Blacksmith

Registered
Seems like I have too much on my rear wheel. I was spraying my chain yesterday using my stand so for the first time I could spin the tire instead of rolling it across the ground and it seems like the tire doesn't spin as easy as I expected. Am I wrong to assume the tires should spin like they're on greased ice? My F250 is 4x4 with manual locking hubs and the front tires roll easier on it than the rear does on my bike. Is there that much drag from the chain or do I need to have the bearings checked?

There is a lot of drag on the rear wheel of a motorcycle. The bearings and grease are usually not as friction free as automotive components. Every link in the chain is a cause of friction as it rolls over not one but two sprockets The front sprocket is connected to a shaft for more friction. The better the chain is for keeping in grease lubricant the higher the friction. Your truck has more weight and the mass is greater to keep it spinning and only the spindle bearings to overcome. Plus it may have synthetic grease specifically designed to maximise mpg. This less of a concern for bikes.

I've looked at those and wondered if they were worth the money. So you recommend them for street/non track bikes?

Yes, they are fine for street use, and as for the actual bearings themselves, the ceramic is superior in many ways.
I've done what I recommended above, and was amazed(they will go in my next sportbike).
Do they make a noticeable difference on a time slip? No.

I did a lot of research into ceramic bearings in my search for new wheels. Yes, they do provide less rolling resistance than steel bearings and they are safe for the street. But most ceramic bearings don't have dust covers as the ceramic surfaces are harder than steel (I'm told). So, ceramic bearings require more maintenance. They are designed for racing applications where the teams take the wheel off after every ride and inspect the bearings as well as everything else. So I decided that I would rather have a more maintenance free wheel than a freer rolling wheel I have to watch (and I saved $400). Yes, I'm the king of buying way more hardware than I need but just didn't see this one.

Back