Rollers/pins on the chain

Teewat

Registered
TLDR:
Rollers/pin have maybe 1/8” of play in them on(I’m assuming stock chain, with 12k mi) can’t find any info relating to this, so I’m asking if it’s still rideable til I get it replaced by next weekend or if I should keep her parked til then

I just picked me up a ‘14, man let me tell you, gorgeous bike. Everything is mostly good, quick question in regards to the chain. I picked it up looked her over everything looks good, rode it a few days chain loosened up a bit, unless it was already a tad loose and I didn’t notice I’m not entirely sure, but I don’t think that’s the case. So it loosened up on me drug across the exhaust a bit(two brothers slip on) not sure if the exhaust maybe wasn’t positioned the best but it happened, got some grit on the chain cleaned it up and got to lookin at it, the chain itself looks fine, but I’m pretty sure it’s the stock chain that’s been on there 12k mi, the rollers/pins barrels whatever the technical term is I’m not sure, has a bit of play in it, not a substantial amount imo but I’m more or less entirely new to the chain driven bike, I’ve tried and tried to look it up to no avail but I can’t find anything related to that specific question about the roller/pins havin play all I see is about the chain stretch or kinked, called my cousin who’s been in the Hayabusa business for a good few years he says it’s fine, called a shop they said shouldn’t have a lot of play. I tensioned the chain cleaned it up good, I have parts on order to replace it but was curious in the meantime if it was still rideable or if it was at risk of failure. I’d guess maybe at 1/8th inch of play in it and that’s probably on one of the more worse ones, tyia

First of all welcome to the forum...

As for the chain, 12,000miles isn't that many on a stock chain unless it was abused by riding in a lot of sandy/dusty conditions and never cleaned...that's what wears them out. These bikes come with a robust chain from the factory and they can take a lot of abuse.

Perhaps take a picture or video of the play you are concerned about so we can see it here...one thing I have found is it is really hard to give such advisement without actually seeing what you are concerned about.

Yes so I apologize with my unfamiliarity, turns out I overlooked what I was looking for. I was looking for chain stretch, for some reason I was thinking the stretch came from the plates not the pins(duh ) I measured the stretch, pretty accurately at 12.53(imo) I’d have to upload the video on pc, sprocket looks good though not pointed no damage no uneven wear inside vs outside. I tensioned it up I’d say I have about 3/4 play in it now, 1/2 up 1/4 down on bottom side, not as much clearance from the exhaust as I’d like so I got it a little tighter, she’d rubbed on it a bit from slack

3E9202D6-A6E9-4F2B-9304-7FD831443922.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes so I apologize with my unfamiliarity, turns out I overlooked what I was looking for. I was looking for chain stretch, for some reason I was thinking the stretch came from the plates not the pins(duh ) I measured the stretch, pretty accurately at 12.53(imo) I’d have to upload the video on pc, sprocket looks good though not pointed no damage no uneven wear inside vs outside. I tensioned it up I’d say I have about 3/4 play in it now, 1/2 up 1/4 down on bottom side, not as much clearance from the exhaust as I’d like so I got it a little tighter, she’d rubbed on it a bit from slack

View attachment 1653703
When you clean the chain, don't forget to clean the sprocket too...

TLDR:
Rollers/pin have maybe 1/8” of play in them on(I’m assuming stock chain, with 12k mi) can’t find any info relating to this, so I’m asking if it’s still rideable til I get it replaced by next weekend or if I should keep her parked til then

I just picked me up a ‘14, man let me tell you, gorgeous bike. Everything is mostly good, quick question in regards to the chain. I picked it up looked her over everything looks good, rode it a few days chain loosened up a bit, unless it was already a tad loose and I didn’t notice I’m not entirely sure, but I don’t think that’s the case. So it loosened up on me drug across the exhaust a bit(two brothers slip on) not sure if the exhaust maybe wasn’t positioned the best but it happened, got some grit on the chain cleaned it up and got to lookin at it, the chain itself looks fine, but I’m pretty sure it’s the stock chain that’s been on there 12k mi, the rollers/pins barrels whatever the technical term is I’m not sure, has a bit of play in it, not a substantial amount imo but I’m more or less entirely new to the chain driven bike, I’ve tried and tried to look it up to no avail but I can’t find anything related to that specific question about the roller/pins havin play all I see is about the chain stretch or kinked, called my cousin who’s been in the Hayabusa business for a good few years he says it’s fine, called a shop they said shouldn’t have a lot of play. I tensioned the chain cleaned it up good, I have parts on order to replace it but was curious in the meantime if it was still rideable or if it was at risk of failure. I’d guess maybe at 1/8th inch of play in it and that’s probably on one of the more worse ones, tyia
Welcome aboard. Manual says to fount 21 pins and measure from center to center of those. If it measures more than 12.57” it is time to replace it. I just went through this on mine and was over that number so installed a new one at 18k miles.

Back