Rode The Tail of the Gecko today

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
Today was the longest trip I've taken on the bike since I got her. 445 miles round trip. Not sure what got into me as it was a lonnnnnng trip.
Googled the road, dropped my pin, set my directions and off I went. Had I not taken a wrong turn at Alberquerque I could have saved 40 miles off my trip there. Somehow I wound up going south instead of north for 20 miles so I had to turn around and go back. Hey I was enjoying the ride. By the time I got there I was low on fuel and had to ride 15 miles passed the road to find premium fuel? wtf? Went to 3 stations well past my destination to find one that had something other than regular or diesel. So again I was late getting there. By the time I got to Bunker Hill rd which is supposed to be the bottom end of the loop I had been on the bike for almost 4 hours with stops.

Ride data..
http://maps.google.com/?q=http://share.abvio.com/a81d/4353/4c3d/8ec2/Cyclemeter-Motorcycle-20110616-1211.kml

Get there...stop..take obligatory 'pics or it didn't happen' pic..
8ef4a010.jpg

After that much time on the bike I was thinking 'I hope this was worth it?'
Then I saw this?

What's this strange kinda sign? Never seen one before...:whistle:
63af6d43.jpg

So, the road was actually two or three roads all connected for a total of about 12 miles. Alot of sand inside the corners and alot of bumps. Anyone who really has curves and twisties where they live would really not get excited over it. I did a bit. I didn't go there to rip it up as the roads are rural roads with homes and people and driveways and road kill, alot of road kill and other stuff. Besides I just went there to see if any curves or corners existed and see if I could lean it over a bit. It was pretty cool.
About 6-8 slow speed corners with long straights separating them. Took me about 10 minutes to go one way. I'm loading the video on Youtube now but it taking forever?

So you are asking if I did succeed in getting her farther than kickstand angle?
Look Ma no chicken strips...:thumbsup:
63417b43.jpg

600f5f4c.jpg

Five hours later and I'm on my way home. I do a 100 mile stint and decide to top off because the fuel is scarce out there. I pull into a shell gas/truck stop, kinda big place in the middle of frickin' nowhere, about 5 miles west of Sebring. Pull in, get off bike and see a couple B'Kings getting gas. Maybe they will say 'hey'? Na they just ride off, ok no problem. I unzip take my helmet off and start heading into the store for a drink before I get gas. Pass this guy, make eye contact so I say 'How's it going?' as we pass, we pass and about ten feet later the guy says 'Blanca is that you?' I'm trippin? Middle of nowhere about 150 miles from my house and about same from his house I meet another .org brother. He says his name is Rick Ekstrom. Lives about an hour north of me and both of us are three hours away from home and meet there? WEIRD?

Obligatory 'pics or it didn't happen' pic...:laugh:
d9a35c7a.jpg

Odo pic...
9fa80ef0.jpg

Total of 9 hours and 445 miles with stops. At 80-90mph I was averaging 45 to almost 50 mpgs? The whole trip there was flat as usual, just orange groves and cattle farms mixed with drought dead tomato fields. It was a long trip for a few corners but even if there hadn't been any I still had a great ride. Was it worth it to ride all the way there just for that road? No but again all in all it was all day on the bike and who could complain about that. It was hot!
I drank almost six bottles of soda, tea and gatorade and didn't let any out.

I am sure it's not that bad now but, when I was a kid I had a book ( The Best And The Worst) somewhere in that area was the worst exit to miss. Somewhere in a swamp if you missed it it was like 75 miles to next exit to turn around or 75 miles total either way it would be a big uh oh if you were tired on a bike and ready to get home.

50 mpg ??? did you get it retuned or something, your bike was getting worst gas mileage than mine last time we rode together.

Nice write up, I've yet to go on a long ride I want to plan it so I don't hit all the speed cameras which is very hard in Britain.

50 mpg ??? did you get it retuned or something, your bike was getting worst gas mileage than mine last time we rode together.

No I took the Xtre off remember?
Seems like the bike is settling into herself and getting really good mpgs now?

Hey Blanca, It was great to meet you yesterday afternoon. It's funny when I saw you pulling in the station for some strange reason I knew it was you just from seeing pics on the forum. Hope to hook up sometime and pound the pavement around the lake or something like that

P.S. He only had 125 miles on the clock when I saw him, so dont believe what he said. JUST KIDDING!!

Take care my friend,

Rick

Back