Rode an 05' GSX-R1000 today

BentValve

Alive & enjoying it!
Donating Member
Registered
Today my dealer let me test drive an 05' GSX-R1000.
Being that I have a great deal of seat time on my Busa in a short period of time..7400 miles in about 3.75 months I really have gotten to know the bike so when I got on the Gixxer I was able to feel every minute differnce. I will try and cover them all.

The engine sounds different and its loud..not sure it is actually louder but it seemed it.

The bike is unbelievably flickable, in more ways than I expected. Just cruising down the road you can tell that
its just going to fall in the lane if you want to do so...and it does. Very quickly. Cornering..awesome..tires were new and I have no experince with the bike so I took it easy..but again it just falls.

The busa on the other hand is heavy, even just driving down the road you feel the heft, when you change lanes its not hard but its just that you can feel the weight under you. You almost feel like you need to plan ahead some because its going to take a second to get in the lane and get going...however crack the throttle hard and she will stand right up and adjust right away. While the Gixxer just moves over and is ready for the next command.

Comfort, big surprise here...well not exactly but what I have read is true. Compared to the Busa its as comfortable and I am almost afraid to say it because its a can of worms...but it was just a first impression so it may not be how it is in the long run....so here goes...its more comfortable.
The reach for me @ 5' 9" does not feel much less, the
seating postion is not much more aggresive and it does
not feel any more agressive @ my height.

Power..well I only dug to about 8 grand on this bike so its only a taste. But I did a few roll ons to about 75 and she goes..immediately I felt the lack of torque compared to the Busa BUT it accelerated..or seemed to accelerate faster.
She just went to 75 ...the Busa rips to 75. I guess I could say the 1000 does it more elegantly..it was very nice and id like to feel it again.

Now..sitting on the bike for some reason I felt higher up, I feel lower on the Busa and more in it. Perhaps this would change with use but thats how it was.

The Busa has the big wide dash, awesome analog gauges and on the freeway it has better wind protection in the shoulder area. I had to crouch a bit further to get in the bubble. I cannot say I minded it because the Gixxer CUTS thru...you can feel the resistance on the Busa. Perhaps its because of its weight.

The Busa is what it is...frankly if it weight the same as the Gixxer then it would no longer be a Busa. The Busa feels more planted...BUT I dont think it really is. The Gixxer was quite happy to be cruising down the highway.
I could best describe the Busas ride like this...it feels like your in a car. You know for sure your on a bike on the Gixxer. The Busa give me a sence of safety when crusing.

I have a feeling though that with some use the Gixxer would offer near the same sence of safety.
But still that big front end aint there so maybe not.

The Gixxer cuts thru the wind like a scapel just like others have described the Gixxer...it handles the same way.

Motorhead said it best...the Gixxer is no replacement for the Busa. Its true.

But the Gixxer is way more fun..I could really enjoy one and I probably will. I may keep it a year then go back to a Busa..I dont know.

The sales guy's room mate has one that is broken in fully, he said he will arrange it so I can take it for a ride.....I am going to get to run a Gixxer hard then and see what its like.

I have time to think it over because 05's are scarce.

If I get one it will be a red and black 06' ...the dealer will give me a sweet deal. They are scheduled for Aug. or Sept.

I will post again when I get to ride the broken in one and go ride the piss out of it.

They are fun. Glad you enjoyed yourself. On one at 6'4" I look like a gorillia riding a naner, though. At least it's a Suzuki.

Chris

Oh and I forgot to mention the gearbox and brakes....gearbox is smooth like butter. Brakes...well I forgot to try them...cannot say they were much better but then I have mechanics hand so pulling hard with my right hand is not a big chore.

The 05 gixxer 1000 is awesome. Had one out today for the second time and man what a bike. I'm 5' 9'' and 160 lbs and thats how I felt about my 2 rides.
It is what it is and I was not ashamed to tell my nephew his gixxer felt faster than my busa. Would I get rid of my busa for one? No way but I'd love to have one in my stable. Oh and BentValve . I felt the same way you did.

Sounds about right for going to a litre from a busa. I had the same impression on the litre (not gixxer, but...) accellerating harder, but I think a lot of that is an illusion from the lighter feel and the weight transfer difference. Even though I haven't rode an '05 gixxer I think you probably summed it up pretty good.
wink.gif

Well I went for a ride on my Busa after I posted this...damn I love that torque...though
I did not ride the Gixxer past 9K so there is more to be had. But still, messing around from 1K-6K the Gixxer simply does not have the pull the Busa has.

The 3 things I am having a hard time letting go of are these:

1. Torque
2. Wind Protection and feel of stability at speed
3. Its a Hayabusa man, I ride with my friends and I get all the attention...the Gixxers get none.  
cool.gif

I guess I have a 4th...I love looking at the Busa dash and I love the analog gauges.  The Busa styling is very sweet.

<!--EDIT|BentValve
Reason for Edit: None given...|1121961633 -->

Sounds about right for going to a litre from a busa. I had the same impression on the litre (not gixxer, but...) accellerating harder, but I think a lot of that is an illusion from the lighter feel and the weight transfer difference. Even though I haven't rode an '05 gixxer I think you probably summed it up pretty good.
wink.gif
BT, be honest...are you really enjoying your 600 that much after having 2 of the fastest bikes ever made??

Personally I could never go to a 600cc, never. I am already tripping about losing 30ft lbs of torque ...with a 600 id be losing 55 ft lbs!!!

Ive talked to 600CC owners and they can keep up with any bike in the corners..but when the 1000s come out of it, then its all over.

Hey BentValve, didn't you have SV650 before Busa? That's the bike I will get one day if I decide to downsize, light and flickable V-Twin, also inexpensive and insurance is cheap as well.
smile.gif

Yep light and flickable ,@ 80mph it was litterally hell on the freeway...I could barely hang on...not to mention if I wanted to pass a car a Dodge Caravan would likely beat me around a few cars.

Try one though, you might like it. Myself...never.

I rode an 03 Gixxer and I truely felt the Busa was better in all aspects. Stability, comfort, and speed. Rode a 04 R1 and the same thing but both bike are high rpm machines so you have to get them in that range to really feel it. Shifting was way better then the Busa but I was not as comfortable in the turns probably because I am used to my personal bike. Nail either liter bikes off the line and be prepared to either back off the gas or flip. Busa will just spin with the 6in over arm on it and pull to red line in every gear. I also think that both liter bikes require you to hike those legs up high in order to get your feet on the pegs. Both liter bikes also caused numb hands after a few miles for me. I love the liter bikes as I do any motorcycle so don't take my opinion as gospel. Busa still is the best in my book. Oh and the last thing is the aftermarket exhaust on the R-1 heats up the bumm like your sitting on a stove!!!

BT, be honest...are you really enjoying your 600 that much after having 2 of the fastest bikes ever made??

Personally I could never go to a 600cc, never. I am already tripping about losing 30ft lbs of torque ...with a 600 id be losing 55 ft lbs!!!

Ive talked to 600CC owners and they can keep up with any bike in the corners..but when the 1000s come out of it, then its all over.
Couldn't be happier. I wouldn't swap my 636 for a busa and a 10r together unless I could sell one of them to buy another 636 after the deal was done. I have my fun in the corners and care nothing about railing the straights now. I have no desire for all the straightline power anymore. I want to be the guy that rides a 600 well enough to smoke the litres in the tight stuff, not the guy who parks a litre in the corners and catches back up to the 600's in the straights.

I don't feel at a loss at all going from the litre to the 600. When the 636 is in it's powerband it has more than enough power to get you into trouble in the twisties. Also, you can't seem to give this beeyotch enough corner speed to satisfy it. No matter how hard I've pushed it learning it's characteristics it always begs for more corner speed.

I'd be perfectly happy getting passed in EVERY straight by a litre or busa... as long as I could ride well enough to stay with or ahead of them in the twisties.
wink.gif

If your thing is blasting straights then a litre or busa make much more sense. Either would no doubt provide more bang for your buck in that type of riding. If your thing is twisties, as long as you learn the powerband of the modern 600 Super Sport bikes and stay in it you've got plenty power to get yourself in a mess.
biggrin.gif

BT, ive talked to a few occational track riders and a couple of very serious track riders.
A good rider on a liter bike will smoke a 600 any day...again its that corner pull out speed that really screws the 600.

But I ride with a guy with an 03' 1K Gix, and a guy with an 05' 600 Gixxer. Both are faster than me and the 600 rider always has the most thrashed tires after a ride. Those 2 stay right neck and neck the whole way..even in the corners. So it seems to me that the 600 rider is riding the poop out of his bike while the 1000CC bike is just loafing along.
I cannot really explain why this is happening...it could be just that the 600s tires are softer compound.

I dont think you can say a 600cc bike can out corner a modern liter bike though....it just the liter bike dont have to work as hard.

Personally id get tired of having liter bikes pass me by on the straights or pulling out of a corner. Why work so hard at a corner just to have some punk beat you on a straight? No way, beat him in the corners and the straights!

Dont you even miss the toruqe?

Anyways that is my train of thought on this for now and I am sure as I mature as a motorcyclist those things might change.

I myself would ride a 1000 or a 600 if I wasn't 6'7" 300lbs. When I ride on one of those I look like I was a pedestrian bending over to pickup a quarter when a guy on a 1000 or 600 ran into my butt. All that is left poking out is a tail end and wheel.

I like effortless triple digit cruising and RIGHT NOW low end power. I imagine if I rode a 636 I might wanna tarde too, flickable bikes are addicting.

I myself would ride a 1000 or a 600 if I wasn't 6'7" 300lbs. When I ride on one of those I look like I was a pedestrian bending over to pickup a quarter when a guy on a 1000 or 600 ran into my butt. All that is left poking out is a tail end and wheel.
laugh.gif

...frankly I dont feel the 600's or 1000's to be very small, perticulary if you see the kind of bikes that you get in India...
tounge.gif

I hope the picture proves a point
biggrin.gif

01jul21_4.jpg

Thanks for the review, I'm going to get a 1000 for the track and short rides, just do not know which one yet. I'm leaning towards the GSXR 1000 or the Aprilia. I like the Aprilia since you do not see them on every corner, kinda like the busa not all over the place. The R1 is a good bike too, but it's on every damm corner, I can not go any where without seeing one of them.

Once I get the money, I plan on getting a Gixxer1K as a second bike. The cruiser bike for me must have been a fad, cause I've already lost interest in that hunt.

Back