ROCKET MAN

Thank You Sir. Nice to hear from ya'. You know, I thought I'd be kind of ecstatic but, I'm not. I don't know what I am. Anxious, Worried, Scared. Maybe a little of each. I had Frank make #1 on the controller a "Bitch Mode" for the Women Folk. Probably only 350 Hp. I haven't ridden in a solid year because of Mom being sick, which means I will be using the Bitch Mode" myself for a little while, just until I Blow the Cobwebs out of my Brain. You know how that crap is. I'm sure just between the suspension, brakes and wheels, I won't know that bike at all. Gonna have to learn everything, stay alert and pay attention. Won't take long.
Bitch mode is the wise way to work yourself back in. And 350 to the wheel isn't exactly slow......

I find I need a few days just to get over the winter break. This year may be a bit longer with the break, very little experience with the bike to begin with, my up coming flash and finally the lovely SWMBO on the back for the first time. I'm thinking C Mode to start :)

I find I need a few days just to get over the winter break. This year may be a bit longer with the break, very little experience with the bike to begin with, my up coming flash and finally the lovely SWMBO on the back for the first time. I'm thinking C Mode to start :)

A mode, all the time, let the control be in your wrist. It's not overly agressive with a flash at all, it still responds smoothly.
Switching modes means retraining your brain on how the bike will react.
Power can get you in trouble quickly...and it can also get you out of harm's way just as quick.:beerchug:

A mode ,
all the time ,
let the control

be in your wrist .

It is not overly
aggressive with
a flash at all ,
it still responds smoothly .

Switching modes means
retraining your brain on
how the bike will react .

Power can get you in trouble quickly . . .

And it can also get you
out of harm's way
just as quick .

:beerchug:

A mode, all the time, let the control be in your wrist. It's not overly agressive with a flash at all, it still responds smoothly.
Switching modes means retraining your brain on how the bike will react.
Power can get you in trouble quickly...and it can also get you out of harm's way just as quick.:beerchug:
That's the point right there, having to 're-train the brain' is just another thing you don't need to cope with when riding a bike like the Busa.
If you keep it in A mode and focus all your learning capability on this one power delivery mode, it will pay off and you will reap the benefits in no time!
My 0.2c worth.

That's the point right there, having to 're-train the brain' is just another thing you don't need to cope with when riding a bike like the Busa.
If you keep it in A mode and focus all your learning capability on this one power delivery mode, it will pay off and you will reap the benefits in no time!
My 0.2c worth.
Good point Kiwi, the Hayabusa is a bike, any bike has to be re-learned after sitting for the winter months. I find the Busa to be very tame unless you want it to be otherwise.

you guys may well be right. perhaps max power is the way to go
However show of hands. Who here has ridden their bike for less than 1600 kilometres. :)
I think with all the factors mentioned I have no doubt I will spend time when early on in A mode. but I think it will start out in C. My wrist sometimes has a mind of its own. :)

I
However show of hands. Who here has ridden their bike for less than 1600 kilometres. :)
I think with all the factors mentioned I have no doubt I will spend time when early on in A mode. but I think it will start out in C. My wrist sometimes has a mind of its own. :)
I think the point being made is that using modes other than A simply means having to relearn the bike, not only in the beginning of the season, but again when you switch. It's your bike, wife and life, do what you think is best, but it's a valid point. If you're comfortable coming out of a familar turn at half throttle in C mode and forget that you're now in A mode and apply half throttle, things will likely go downhill quickly.

Like Mr Brown said, your call. I have never used any other mode than A and have never had a problem, the bike has to be revved to make it go fast, just use wrist control. It will be a couple months until you have to worry about this anyway with all the snow you have there.

Don't get it flashed then , learn your bike factory soft for awhile . But in A mode , ecu untouched , the bike makes only safe predictable & usable torque under 6,000rpm . Always thought the A B C modes a gimmick , and that you are probably on the wrong bike if you need modes anyway , but I don't live or ride in snow or treacherous conditions I guess !!

I like riding around in C mode if A starts feeling stale. Then the jump back to A is like a new bike with all this speed again.

Actually Road I may indeed be on the wrong bike
It Is heavier than I thought it would be and that has presented the odd moment of concern
Faster the I thought possible. I have yet to go past 8,000 rpm and never in top gear I plan a trip to the local drag strip to get it anywhere near top RPM just for the rush Although it is an addictive sport
I find it a pig around town However I spend very little time there except to get out of it
On the other hand I find it is quite comfy when ridden at speed and I have found speed is where I like to ride it because I enjoy that so much :).
I decidedly need a track day, possibly with some qualified instruction to maximize my ability to make it corner as well as I am sure it can
The modes were of no interest when I bought it but I have learned to like the C mode in heavy rain. I ride in all conditions except ice and snow If it is raining when I am leaving I just gear up for it
Roads here in the early spring and late fall can be cold, covered in salt or sand and thus slippery. I am not a huge fan of the stock rubber but I am too cheap to change it yet:) We shall see how it feels with more experience.
It was all nicely coming together as I grew accustomed to the HP As I said it is by far the most powerful bike I have ridden and the only Tupperware Torpedo ever
So yes I may be at the wrong end of life to be on a Hayabusa However I always wanted one and am not regretting it for a moment. So I do think a bit of getting back in the grove will not take to long and believe fear for me life will take care of the rest even in A mode with a newly flashed ACU.
Johnnie Phatt
Miltons slowest Busa
Also the fastest
because I am the only one in town :)

....you will adapt to the bike, I wouldn't get wrought up over that. It might be heavy for a sport bike but light for a sport tourer and the power can be controlled by the rider.

A little track day and instruction will go a long way to build your confidence and make the bike more a part of your life.

What did you previously ride?

It is a long list of bikes that I have ridden. Two BSA's Four Hondas including the 1500 Gold Wing I currently no longer enjoy. I should probably sell it. And 75 RD 350B Possibly the best two stroke series joy toy ever built Wife and I were thinner then so two up was possible and fun. many fond memories Most recently my last three were an 79 XS 1100 Yamaha. Lots of fun but I think too much power for the frame and brakes of the day. An 1980 GS 850G. Had the money for two bikes at the time and liked it for long rides. It went to both costs and lot of everything in between. Put almost 400,000 kilometres on it with virtually nothing but regular maintenance an alternator and a rectifier To be honest I still think it may have been one of the best UJM's ever built. Followed that up with the 2000 ZRX 1100 another long miler Had it for 18 wonderful years. Modified or changed almost everything on it. Great web group Wonderful people All manner of cool, functional. home built improvements for it. Eventually broke the motor I was going to fix it but the wife said go new And here I am today

...you are well experienced already, just new to this type of platform.

It has been years since I rode this style of platform myself when I had my Gixxer 750 but found myself instantly at home on the Busa. I have a 1200 Bandit which I retired once I got the Busa and it is similar to your ZRX.

I personally think you will be fine and will adapt well to the Busa, just take it easy in the spring like you did on all your bikes previously. I don't think you'd hop on your ZRX and flog it on your first spring ride-same goes for the Busa.

Actually Road I may indeed be on the wrong bike
It Is heavier than I thought it would be and that has presented the odd moment of concern
Faster the I thought possible. I have yet to go past 8,000 rpm and never in top gear I plan a trip to the local drag strip to get it anywhere near top RPM just for the rush Although it is an addictive sport
I find it a pig around town However I spend very little time there except to get out of it
On the other hand I find it is quite comfy when ridden at speed and I have found speed is where I like to ride it because I enjoy that so much :).
I decidedly need a track day, possibly with some qualified instruction to maximize my ability to make it corner as well as I am sure it can
The modes were of no interest when I bought it but I have learned to like the C mode in heavy rain. I ride in all conditions except ice and snow If it is raining when I am leaving I just gear up for it
Roads here in the early spring and late fall can be cold, covered in salt or sand and thus slippery. I am not a huge fan of the stock rubber but I am too cheap to change it yet:) We shall see how it feels with more experience.
It was all nicely coming together as I grew accustomed to the HP As I said it is by far the most powerful bike I have ridden and the only Tupperware Torpedo ever
So yes I may be at the wrong end of life to be on a Hayabusa However I always wanted one and am not regretting it for a moment. So I do think a bit of getting back in the grove will not take to long and believe fear for me life will take care of the rest even in A mode with a newly flashed ACU.
Johnnie Phatt
Miltons slowest Busa
Also the fastest
because I am the only one in town :)
Hi Johnnie , well a good ECU flash will increase the response in the lower rev range , the bike will certainly be decidedly sprightlier , even 'off cam' , and throttle more sensitive . You may find waiting on the flash a good thing , if you are worried about A or B mode , because of this . If you ain't rev'd it past 8,000 rpm , well you ain't seen nothing , even un flashed !! I think the drags sound like a good idea , to safely let it loose !
I don't think getting the Busa at this end of life is a bad choice , I for one are retiring , and the Busa stays in the ride line up no matter what !!
New rubber , good investment , a few dollars for piece of mind trade off , along with that rider training update .
I guess it is 'drum season' for you at present , well keep on rocking to that internal rhythm bro , my brother is a studio drummer , and he has a heap of kits assembled and stored too .

A mode and ham fist in the rain will teach you drifting...seriously.
I drift pretty good in the rain, the dry, not so much. Tires are expensive, and bite...and bite you back easier when it's dry.
In the rain, A mode, the Busa is the same fat lazy pig it always is.
You have to snap the throttle open quick to break the tire loose. Same thing applies on the other end, close the throttle abruptly, and the rear wheel stops suddenly, which is what causes most people to lose control...hence the drifting, roll in it, and roll out of it, lean it where you wanna go.
I'm not trying to tell you how to ride either, rather, what the Busa is capable of, alot more than most people think.
Grip it, rip it, beat on it, it can take it.
It's weight and size make it very forgiving.

Back