"Robbing the engine of oil while wheelieing"

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
"Robbing the engine of oil while wheelieing"
is this fact or assumtion? I don't wanna do ANYTHING to harm my engine [well, anything over the top] so, I might not do wheelies if it creates a "grind the metal" condition.

Experiences here?

Never heard of it, but from a mechanic's view;its possible if your wheelling like 2 minutes or more at a time. Can't imagine the system running out of oil in just a few seconds. It's gotta be much worse when you first start it(all the oil is at the bottom), so I don't advise "revving" your engine until oil temp starts to rise.

Not experianced but I would have to say no problems unless you're standing it straight up. The oil pick up tube sets in the lowest part of the tank so it should get oil. Just keep an eye open for your oil light.
oops.gif

yea it is true. Coming from some nutcases I know who can ride wheelies over 5 miles long (no exageration), you can starve your engine of oil. But it has alot to do with-

1) where you oil pickup hole/tube is located

2) how long you wheelie (at least 4 miles before cavitation begins)

The old Honda 900rr's had an oil hole similar to all other bikes, it was in the middle of the oil pan. But the CBR 929/954 have the oil pickup in the back of the pan, allowing the engine to get oil even during wheelie! Some people say it's because honda knew how much people were stunting their bike! LOL

As far as I know, only thw 929/954 have the oil pickup at the back of the engine, all others its in the middle.

But unless you can ride a wheelie about 4 to 5 miles, I wouldnt even worry about it.

Mike

Very true......but......50 foot wheelies aren't gonna do it.
constantly doing wheelies through 3 gears definately will.
The windage tray is an excellent idea!!!!

Thanks guys! I don't think I'll EVER have a problem since I have sworn myself to short wheelies and no other stunting ever. Good info!
smile.gif

what happens is when you reach the balance point on the Busa (it's pretty high)....oil is forced into the air box, along with the oil sending unit not being allowed to work properly. I think this is what they were talking about.

Happens on the 1000's as well........my friend blew his engine that way.

The old Honda 900rr's had an oil hole similar to all other bikes, it was in the middle of the oil pan. But the CBR 929/954 have the oil pickup in the back of the pan, allowing the engine to get oil even during wheelie! Some people say it's because honda knew how much people were stunting their bike! LOL

As far as I know, only thw 929/954 have the oil pickup at the back of the engine, all others its in the middle.

But unless you can ride a wheelie about 4 to 5 miles, I wouldnt even worry about it.

Mike
Yeah the 900RR's had that problem and a lot of people blew their engines doing wheelies. I am sure Honda replaced a few engines under warranty due to this problem.

Back