Robbed the wrong guy perhaps?

motogp08

Registered
Troubled teen killed trying to rob off-duty officer
By Lou Michel
News Staff Reporter

Fifteen-year-old Kelvin Rodolph picked the wrong person to rob.

The emotionally disturbed teen walked up to off-duty Buffalo Police Officer Lamar McCulley and demanded his valuables in the predawn hours of Friday outside an East Side gas station-minimart.

When the officer failed to respond quickly enough, Rodolph raised what appeared to be a semi-automatic handgun inches from McCulley’s face and again said, “Give me everything you have.â€

“At that point, the officer did give him everything he had at the end of a 9 mm Glock,†PBA attorney Thomas Burton said late Friday in providing details of why he believes McCulley acted in self-defense. It turned out the weapon Rodolph pointed at the officer was a BB gun, but Burton said, “At the moment it happened, it might as well have been a cannon.â€

McCulley told a close friend he was not trying to kill the teenager, but only protecting himself.

Burton said, “As the officer discharged a fusillade of shots,†he backed away and tripped over garbage cans, regained his footing and saw that Rodolph was still pointing the gun at him “and so the officer fired again.â€

One of the shots struck Rodolph in the face and killed him, according to the teen’s maternal aunt, who viewed his body at the Erie County Medical Examiner’s office late Friday morning.

“I know he was doing wrong, but did the officer have to use lethal force?†Debbie Rodolph, the aunt and a nurse, said of the thwarted robbery at East Delavan Avenue and Grider Street.

It is unknown if Rodolph, who dropped to the ground when the gunfire started, was struck more than once, or if he fired his BB gun at the officer.

McCulley had completed his night shift in the South District at 1:30 a. m. and had gone out to purchase food. He was wearing a jacket over his uniform when the teenager walked up to him, police said.

Rodolph was the subject of a front page Buffalo News story earlier this year about people with disabilities in need of assistance through Supplemental Security Income benefits from the federal government.

He had attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, which made it hard for him to concentrate, and oppositional defiant disorder, which caused him to defy all authority figures, his mother told The News in May.

McCulley, a 26-year-old probationary police officer, ran away from Rodolph, took cover behind a Dumpster and called 911 on his cell phone at about 2:40 a. m. seeking backup assistance. Within minutes, the area was swarming with on-duty police.

Detectives obtained fingerprints from the young man to help in identifying him, but when daylight broke and the neighborhood began to stir, word of the fatal shooting spread.

By late morning, a few of Rodolph’s friends appeared at the home of his mother and stepfather on Wyoming Avenue, several blocks from the shooting, and asked if the teenager was home.

The teens said they had heard a light-skinned black teenager had been fatally shot.

Jay Burnett, the stepfather, who is engaged to marry Rodolph’s mother, Karen Rodolph, said he had not seen the teen that morning and hurried over to the shooting scene, where a friend of the family approached him.

The friend told The News that he suggested Burnett ask the officers there for a description of the youth who had been shot. As it became clear that the youth matched the description of his stepson, Burnett started screaming “that’s my son†and headed home to break the news to his family.

“Kelvin had problems, but he was basically a good kid,†said Leslie Furman, the maternal grandfather of the youth.

He and other family members made a plea to investigators in the Professional Standards Division and the Erie County District Attorney’s office to conduct a thorough investigation and not rush to judgment.

Don’t rush to judgment

They were concerned that the police department had already released a preliminary determination that McCulley had acted in a justifiable manner. Burton said at least five shots were fired by McCulley and possibly more. The clip in the Glock holds 17 rounds and one in the chamber.

“No shooting should be decided that fast. The family is pressing for a thorough investigation. I want to know why the officer had to shoot to kill? Why not shoot to maim,†the grandfather asked.

“It was a BB gun. My nephew could have fired all he wanted and it wouldn’t have hurt the cop,†said Debbie Rodolph.

“We are at the very preliminary stages of the investigation. Homicide detectives conduct the initial investigation and Professional Standards conducts a parallel investigation,†said Chief of Detectives Dennis

J. Richards, who offered assurances that all aspects of the case would be thoroughly investigated.

Richards said McCulley faced an extreme situation with a gun pointed at his head. “In situations like this, there are no winners,†the chief said.

McCulley, a Buffalo State College criminal justice graduate, has been placed on paid administrative leave, a standard departmental step, pending the outcome of the investigations.

Burton, who serves as counsel to the Buffalo Police Benevolent Association, said state law is very clear on individuals being permitted to defend themselves in a robbery.

“You have no duty to turn tail and run when someone is trying to rob you with a weapon. That goes for a citizen or, obviously, a police officer,†Burton said. “It turns out it was a BB gun, but that’s of no account because the victim of a robbery doesn’t have to learn to his disagreeable surprise that it is a real weapon.â€

Rodolph was wearing a knit cap covering the top half of his face and a bandanna pulled up over his mouth and nose, Burton said.

Tragedy for all

He said the incident is a tragedy for all involved. “As long as the officer lives, the image of this will be burned into his mind, and there’s a dead kid over a botched robbery. I’d trade all the lawyering skills on earth if we could disengage the mechanics of this senseless type of violence,†he said.

Issuing a statement through relatives, Rodolph’s grief-stricken mother said her son was recently discharged from the residential unit at Hopevale, a Hamburg facility for troubled young people, and was supposed to receive follow-up care for his conditions, which also included a diagnosis of bipolar disorder, which causes extreme mood swings.

“He was supposed to receive mentoring assistance. We were supposed to get the help in the last two weeks and they never came here or called,†said Furman, her father, in making the statement on her behalf.

Debbie Rodolph, the older sister of the mother, said her nephew was in dire need of help from the system.

“He needed the system to work for him and it didn’t. Now he’s dead. My sister fought so hard to get him help,†the aunt said of the mother’s battle with the government to gain benefits.

Judy Rafalski, associate executive director of Hopevale, confirmed that Rodolph had been released from the facility on Aug. 15.

“When we discharge a youth, they can go home or be hooked up with other types of services, but because of the confidentiality for the youth and family, we can’t talk about cases specifically,†Rafalski said.

She expressed compassion for the youth’s family.

“It’s a horrible thing, and we definitely extend our condolences to the family. That is just a tragedy,†Rafalski said.

Rodolph, who was 5-foot, 6- inches, weighed about 160 pounds and was of biracial background, was the middle child in a family of five siblings.

Halloween decorations festooned the front of his family’s home and a steady flow of friends showed up throughout the day to offer support and hugs as the family tried to make sense of the nightmare.

Funeral arrangements, which are incomplete, will be handled by the Brian K. Lewis Funeral Home on Sycamore Street.

News Staff Reporter Gene Warner contributed to this report.

lmichel@buffnews.com

Uh, I'd say when you point ANY gun at an officer on-duty or off, you've pretty much relinquished your right to oxygen! :sarcasm:

I feel sorry for the family, friends, and anyone else who knew this young man. But if he was so in-balanced, he shouldn't have been on the streets to get himself killed by an officer...*shakes head*

indeed a tragedy but the officer was reacting.

my heart goes out to the family but there does comes a time to accept responsibility.

unforutnately this young man paid the ultimate price for his poor decision.

would it be such a "tragedy" if he had gotten drunk and ran a car into a tree and killed himself. I think not, we never would have heard about it.

I'm a veteran Police Officer with over 12 years of service. and for those who have never looked down the barrel of a loaded gun i can tell you it's not as fun as it sounds. neither is the emotional and mental trama suffered after a tragic event such as this. but when threatned you don't think, you react.

I have never had to take a life, but i have to prepair myself to do just that every day of my life. I pray that i never have to, but if it comes down to it, I know deep down that it will not be my decision that will cause me to take a life, but my reaction to their poor decision to save my own or someone elses life.

my heart and prayers goes out to all involved.

indeed a tragedy but the officer was reacting.

my heart goes out to the family but there does comes a time to accept responsibility.

unforutnately this young man paid the ultimate price for his poor decision.

would it be such a "tragedy" if he had gotten drunk and ran a car into a tree and killed himself. I think not, we never would have heard about it.

I'm a veteran Police Officer with over 12 years of service. and for those who have never looked down the barrel of a loaded gun i can tell you it's not as fun as it sounds. neither is the emotional and mental trama suffered after a tragic event such as this. but when threatned you don't think, you react.

I have never had to take a life, but i have to prepair myself to do just that every day of my life. I pray that i never have to, but if it comes down to it, I know deep down that it will not be my decision that will cause me to take a life, but my reaction to their poor decision to save my own or someone elses life.

my heart and prayers goes out to all involved.

Very well said!:bowdown:

I love it when people claim their kid was, "basically a good kid," but they don't take responsibility for the kid attempting to terrorize someone into believing they have a gun so they can rob them. Of course, no such parent is ever brought to task for allowing the kid to have been allowed out if he had mental problems. No parent is ever brought to task for not teaching the kid that robbing people is wrong.

Too many people never want to take responsibility for their own actions any more. It's getting ludicrous.

--Wag--

Some friends of mine have a son that has been "diagnosed" with ADHD and ODD. I've know the couple since we were in our late teens and have very high regards for both of them so I've never said much but.. I've also watched them raise the boy and have come to the conclusion his "problems" are dirrectly related to their PPP disorder. PPP= P*** Poor Parenting
Easier to just let him get by with everything, he never had to worry about making excuses for the stupid **** he pulled, his mother would make them for him. Father is a trucker and gone most of the time and when he does get home everything is old news and once again, easier to just blow it off than do anything about it. Boy is not quite 16 and on a year probation for riding around with another kid in a stolen pickup complete with a stolen gun in it.
I've always told them he would have a great future in the DOC.:hmmm:

My condolences to the family of the criminal (make no mistake, the officer was the victim here.) However, if blame needs to be assigned, what was a 15 year old doing out at 2am?

The family asked why lethal force needed to be used, with the grandfather going so far as to inquire "why not shoot to maim?" Some people have no clue. The officer was presented with a deadly force situation with minimal time to react. I challenge anyone to stand there and question an apparent armed robber as to the authenticity of their weapon. Gangbangers nowadays are painting real guns to look like florescent toy guns in hopes of making LEO's hesitate in deadly force situations. I don't care if it was a hairdryer that was being pointed, the kid made a very bad decision and the officer reacted admirably. Tragic?...yes.

As to the grandfather saying "shoot to maim," many trained people have a hard enough time hitting a stationary paper target where they intend to; throw in fearing for your life as someone points a gun at you, with the accompanying adrenaline dump, along with both of you moving, and you're lucky to hit anything. People believe the crap they see on TV. Shooting to maim makes about as much sense as thinking that a standard police sidearm will stop a car if you shoot the engine.

Police are trained to shoot to stop the threat, not to kill. Anatomy and physiology shows that the best way to stop an aggressive action in a human is to target center mass.

Once again, my condolences to the family, but more importantly to the officer who has to go through the rest of his life knowing that he was FORCED to take another human life.

these types of stories, where the victim fights back with deadly force should be prasied as front page news, letting all the criminal elements [that can read or hear the storeis] learn that people WILL fight back.

kid would have been lass likely to try that stunt knowing people will fight back OR might be packing.

the more the criminals think they can get away with, they more they will. if they think stealing someones watch might get them killed, maybe they will think twice about it.

I don't know the kid or the family so I have no personal feelings for their situation what so ever. the child made a choice and got one of the predetermined results. All I see is a stupid criminal and a citizen that did his part by saving tax payers THOUSANDS in bull crap court costs and prison expenses, not to mention his own life.

Yes, if it was my family I would feel differently, but BY CONSCIOUS CHOICE, my family is no where near anything like that. If it was my family getting robbed, I would hope they would kill the agressor also.

I agree with Tom. WHY ISN'T THERE A "DISORDER" about poor parenting? Everyone too afraid to pull that thread?

How did I know someone in the kids family would say leathal force wasn't necassary. I bet the kid was on drugs. AND the parents DO have some responsibility in this.

I FEEL SORRY FOR THE COP

Hmmm I do feel bad for the cop having to shoot some idiot...

Now something that struck me right away was that they did not bring race into the story... must not have been a white cop?

My thoughts and prayers go to to the officer who will be scrutinized, questioned and most likely sued for his actions and the fact that he will have to live with this for the rest of his life. Make no mistake here, I commend the officer for his actions and it sounds as he did everything right.

As for the 15 year old. If he had issues and disabilities he should not have been allowed to run the streets freely.

My thoughts and prayers go to to the officer who will be scrutinized, questioned and most likely sued for his actions and the fact that he will have to live with this for the rest of his life. Make no mistake here, I commend the officer for his actions and it sounds as he did everything right.

As for the 15 year old. If he had issues and disabilities he should not have been allowed to run the streets freely.

Exactly!

Precisely what I said!:bowdown:

hmmm i do feel bad for the cop having to shoot some idiot...

Now something that struck me right away was that they did not bring race into the story... Must not have been a white cop?

that's the only time they don't bring race into play is when it's a white person. But does it really matter the race?

WTF? "oppositional defiant disorder"? Have we made up a name for some new BS disease so that we can blame something/someone else OTHER than the perp, or HIS PARENTS for him being out in the middle of the night? Jeez, how sad, - BUT, if you stick ANYTHING in my face and try to rob me, or threaten my family, it's you or me buddy...

Oh, wait, that's right the Dems would take your gun away. How about the DEA agent that got killed in NO a few weeks ago, because he was going to a bar and left his service weapon behind to follow the law, only to be chased down, robbed and killed that evening?

I am a law-abiding citizen that sometimes legally carries - and unfortunatly, there seems to be a reason for it.

WTF? "oppositional defiant disorder"? Have we made up a name for some new BS disease so that we can blame something/someone else OTHER than the perp, or HIS PARENTS for him being out in the middle of the night? Jeez, how sad, - BUT, if you stick ANYTHING in my face and try to rob me, or threaten my family, it's you or me buddy...

Oh, wait, that's right the Dems would take your gun away. How about the DEA agent that got killed in NO a few weeks ago, because he was going to a bar and left his service weapon behind to follow the law, only to be chased down, robbed and killed that evening?

I am a law-abiding citizen that sometimes legally carries - and unfortunatly, there seems to be a reason for it.

+1 on the Oppositional Defiant my arse... Kid lacked effective reinforcement, structure and discipline.. Call it a disorder now.. BS! In other words, he was a rebellious little mofo.

Last edited:
"why not shoot to maim?"

I carried a weapon and went through weapons training. I was taught to go for body mass and if you pull a weapon and fire, you shoot to kill not mame. This is taught to everyone that is burdened with the responsibility to carry a weapon in the line of work police, security etc....

From my handgun class years ago:

1. Aim for center of mass
2. Follow thru (2nd-3rd-4th) if you aren't sure; never turn your back on a target you're not sure is down
3. You are financially and legally responsible for that bullet once it leaves the barrel.

I feel sorry for both, but the police officer is the only one totally innocent here - and he's STILL got to live with it on his conscience.

Back