ROADTOAD's new ride

You can remember your bike when it was stock?

Like I said, it will be a fire breather when you turn yourself loose on modifying it.
Yes remember stock , for the most part . For one , the purchase was the timed with the final full demise of my right hip . My first impressions were the bike was revolutionary to me in terms of power and reliability , it did everything at least okay except brake feel and comfort , but then some things amazingly well . I remember thinking how stunning a bike the Gen 2 was , a production bike really designed to blitz the 1/4 mile and accelerate to top end faster than any other production vehicle at the time , first and foremost ,to also be endowed with such all round competence was simply amazing to me . The Busa touched me like no other before , I knew it was going to be a bike that would evoke a passion only previously approached by oiled cooled Gixxers , but not even close to matching my devotion to the L2 Hayabusa .
The L2 , as all my past bikes , I fit my own chassis mods etc. bar motor internals , so I know my bike very well . The journey with her has always been an investment in not only money , but also my invested soul . To be honest , I remember every part of my continuing journey with this bike .
I now come to be a first owner of a Kawasaki , now another bike has also struck me as rather amazing , and also worthy of at least my best attention .

Every thing I’ve read, said the Busa handled better, at least when ridden in a sporting manner. Not true?
Yes , to some degree true , because the zx14 is a taller bike , it seems to suit me very well , I find it very responsive and fluid through tight turn and I am telling you right now , all bullshit aside , it handles better in tight corners than a stock Busa .
The one thing I think we are not considering here , is the 190/55 tire fitment , already on the bike , this I think has transformed the bike along with setting the suspension . All this aids turn in , same as when you do a 55 aspect tire on the Busa .
So , I still haven't ridden a stock ZX14 , with the stock 190/50 , but the same cannot be said about the Busa , in that I changed the stock Busa over to 190/55 early in ownership for want of the same enhancement .

Well I am going to fit up the Ohlins TTX39 tomorrow , got some 7075 t6 suspension links to replace the steel stockers as well , and I am waiting on some M12 titanium race hex to arrive to replace the steel bolts , but might have to put them in later .
This was due earlier , but arrived today , a nice unit resprung for my weight , of note there is no manual ride height adjuster for the Kawasaki TTX .

Nice bike, Roadtoad! In reading your comments regarding handling, I can't say the same for the Gen1 ZX-14 v the Gen2 busa. My 08 busa has always handled better than my my 08 ZX-14. Now that I have reduced the weight of the 14 and upgraded suspensions, it is about equal to the busa in handling but it is so much lighter, I would expect more. I have heard Gen2 ZX-14 has improved handling but never had the opportunity to ride one. I plan to get a Gen2 engine in my Gen1 frame someday. That was an improvement for sure!

Nice bike, Roadtoad! In reading your comments regarding handling, I can't say the same for the Gen1 ZX-14 v the Gen2 busa. My 08 busa has always handled better than my my 08 ZX-14. Now that I have reduced the weight of the 14 and upgraded suspensions, it is about equal to the busa in handling but it is so much lighter, I would expect more. I have heard Gen2 ZX-14 has improved handling but never had the opportunity to ride one. I plan to get a Gen2 engine in my Gen1 frame someday. That was an improvement for sure!
Yeah , I really like the handling so far , considering the forks are still on the soft side , the bike is proving to be a hell lot of fun in the twisties .
The 1441cc ZX14R has had some factory chassis tweaking compared to the Gen 1 , and even in this base stock form , is showing promise . It seems to suit my 120kg 6'4" fat ass quite well so far .
I am pretty confident I will be able to extract the very best out of this bike for a wild street weapon , whether it can match liter bikes in the twisties ... on some roads like the L2 , we will have to wait and see .

Was real lucky locating this set of Ohlins FGRT807 25mm cartridge for my ZX14R . One

owner from new , in beautiful well cared for condition , just under US $ 900 !! Stoked with that price , got to win sometimes !!

They will be dropped off to my Ohlins tech for full service and re sprung for me shortly .

Nice forks. People get tired of me saying this but it is so true: Forks rule the bike. They help dynamics (turning), are the front end to every bump, and they are 60% of the braking system. Those will make you proud @ROADTOAD1340 !

I sure find the stockers on my bike to be more than capable of doing their job. I recall my old GSXR with the non inverted forks were able to get the job done as well and these are a far cry better than those.

Those forks are certainly eye-candy though...

I sure find the stockers on my bike to be more than capable of doing their job. I recall my old GSXR with the non inverted forks were able to get the job done as well and these are a far cry better than those.

Those forks are certainly eye-candy though...
While you may not truly need this level of performance in your daily rides, these are way more than eye candy. I recently got to ride a stock Busa and that really made the difference obvious! Admittedly when I got mine I was after the candy but get used to that control and it's like a drug.

You can set up conventional forks very well , as well as stock usd forks , don't worry about . These Ohlins are beautiful road or race forks when setup correctly , well worth the expense usually .

I find with how I ride now, I could never use a set of Ohlins to anywhere near their potential in order to warrant the expense same as the lightweight rims.

I can relate to the desire though, I had Race Tech parts in all my previous conventional forks and I could definitely feel the difference. I used Progressive rear shocks in my previous bikes and they worked well for what I was using them for.

It is a dreary, overcast, rainy day here and when I went into the garage and saw my Busa sitting there, my mood was immediately lifted...it could have pogo sticks for shocks and I'd still love it.

While you may not truly need this level of performance in your daily rides, these are way more than eye candy. I recently got to ride a stock Busa and that really made the difference obvious! Admittedly when I got mine I was after the candy but get used to that control and it's like a drug.
I hear you and agree, those are serious shocks for certain. if I never ride a bike with them, I'll never miss them.

Back