ROADTOAD's new ride

Here is a couple of pics of the two streeters , L2 and Kato .

Could be , because ZX14R is the 1441cc , you can quickly tell the Gen 1 1352cc from 2 1441cc , by the fins / gills , green on my thing . I have heard @Mr Brown refer to the Gen 1 's as George Foreman grills , don't remember what Jeremy thinks about the Gen 2 's .
The Kawasaki rider doesn't seem to be tucking in well , and the Busa gets use of the slipstream and goes hard .

Could be , because ZX14R is the 1441cc , you can quickly tell the Gen 1 1352cc from 2 1441cc , by the fins / gills , green on my thing . I have heard @Mr Brown refer to the Gen 1 's as George Foreman grills , don't remember what Jeremy thinks about the Gen 2 's .
The Kawasaki rider doesn't seem to be tucking in well , and the Busa gets use of the slipstream and goes hard .
I don't like the grills on either bike, honestly. That being said, they wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

I am going to be riding Kato ZX14R this week , because I got to fine tune the suspension , and scrub in the tires . Plus , I'm hanging to see how it really goes now , motor all freed up and free wheeling on ceramics . The rearsets will have to be fiitted at some point , I will be wanting to refit them with ti asap .

Got Kato out for a quick blast on my favorite local , quick escape road . Well the bike is crazy quick now , that is for sure . It is all freed up , traction control off , fresh rubber . Out on the road , I find the combination of the effortless powerspread motor and the very smooth competent suspension ride intoxicating , it swallows sections of road up as quick as you like and find I can easily change direction , even while using big rpm power in low gears . Certainly , the wide bars help for sure , and of course , overall it physically fits me better than the L2 anyway . I am really enjoying this well liked road , feel I got the suspension dialled in pretty good , it takes any substantial surface irregularity in its stride , soaking it up and instant recovery , forgotten , onto the next . This kit on the road is just good insurance in my opinion , like @fallenarch says , setup Ohlins serve you and your ride well , no matter . The brake are currently stock including lines , and sintered pads , but work well enough , so unlike the tokicos on the Gen 2 Busa , aren't crying out for attention . Of course I have plans , being spoiled for sometime now by the super strong L2 brake combination setup , and will be looked into early in new year for Kato .
I am also looking forward to trying out this machine for comparison on the other very favorite road , many mainly fast sweepers , where the L2 shines and really comes into its own .
As it stands today , what I got from that first real test , on that short length , tight demanding multiple section run , Kato is clearly better here than L2 for me to ride . This , my ZX14R , feels like the better overall streetbike than does the L2 , because my Busa feels more like (and is ) a no compromise handling package , built racer in comparison .

Nothing better than when a plan comes together! Sounds like the ZX is a great road weapon. I was amazed at how acceptable the OEM brakes were on the ZX I rode, very usable and I could live with them. But now that I (we) have experienced the sublime performance of high end Brembos, nothing less than that will do! Looking good and I look forward to your report on that other ride route.

Me too bro , going to be a really close thing I suspect . Hey you notice I got low for my phone camera shots , hahahah , nearly killed me bro , my other hip is giving me hell at the moment . I am looking at our favorite calipers for sure bro , I will get them and carbon lines before rotors , which will be decided on later again next year .

I did notice the lower shots and the bike looks more balanced and formidable too! You can just hold the cell phone down low and not actually bend down. I often do this.

So have you found any local Kawasakis to ride with? To be honest I ride mostly alone but do run into a Busa here and there.

PS: How long does it take to acclimate to the ZX going back and forth with L2? Man when I ride the BMW for a couple weeks and switch to the Busa it feels weird for about 30 minutes. After that it feels amazing.

Last edited:
Back