ROADS AROUND TAHOE-GARDNERVILLE NEVADA

AQUADIOSMED

Registered
anyone on the board, or any one, know of good roads around Carson City, Gardnerville, Lake Tahoe, Reno Nevada????

Good Roads:

twisty, few cars,

thanks for your input!!!!

I owned a second home in Gardnerville in the early to mid 90s. It's the best place in the known universe to ride dirt, and has some very good highways as well.

The finest road in the area, and a road that will stack up well with the best in the world is highway #89 from #395 at Topaz Lake, west to Highway # 4. It is only about 20 miles, but it is quite high(you could see snow)and has spectacular scenery, as well as all of the riding attributes. Worth riding in both directions.

From there you can ride Hwy.#4 west(left off #89) over Ebbets Pass down to the Gold Rush towns such as Angels Camp. The highest portion of #4 is narrow, tight and tricky. Very pretty but not a fast road. Careful. After Lake Alpine it IS fast.

If you don't want to go that far, you can turn North on #4(right from #89)through Markleeville(nice lunch stop)to Woodfords and Highway #88. A right turn takes you back to Gardnerville, and a left takes you up and over Carson Pass. A fast road with a fair amount of traffic, but spectacular scenery. Will take you to the Gold Rush towns of Jackson and Sutter Creek.

It's possible to go up one pass and return over the other by taking the main road between Jackson and San Andreas(to Angels Camp) That would make a long day, though.

Another road in the Gardnerville area is # 208 East off #395. It connects with #338, #339, and eventually # 95 by Walker Lake. These are not as spectacular, but are lightly traveled and worth a look.

The highway to and past Virginia City, out of Carson City is OK for a short jaunt.

The Highways around Lake Tahoe are pretty, but slow and heavily patrolled.HEAVILY!

If you are going to the Lake, Kingsbury Grade comes to mind and perhaps Highway #50 from No. Tahoe to Carson City.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

I'll second all of slowhand's comments as I live near Angels Camp and these are some of my favorite riding areas.

All the passes are open now and I've been over them (with exception of Tioga Pass, Hwy 120 through Yosemite) and they're all in good shape.

Does anyone know what's going on during the month of Sept 26-29 time frame in Reno.My wife and I are trying to get a hotel room at Circus Circus for that time frame and was told all the hotels were booked up that week end.We are going up for the Street Vibration and I'm bringing up my Hayabusa this year.Anybody else is going to this motorcycle event?Does anyone have the in's to Circus Circus so I can get a room that weekend,any help would be welcome.

I'll second all these comments about the ride. I just got back from Fallon NV (east of Reno). I took Carson Pass from Jackson CA to Kirkwood and then in to S. Tahoe. Spectacular scenery but the ride is just a little better than average. Highway 50 from Tahoe to Carson City has some great high speed curves for the busa but it IS heavily patrolled.

On our way back we jumped on 89 between 395 and 4. AWESOME! After popping back out on 395 we crossed the sierras at Sonora Pass, HWY 108. This was about 80 miles of great scenery and everything from tight switchbacks to sweepers.

If you make it into the sierra foothills try hwy 49 just north of Mariposa. Great turns for about 20 miles.

Bottom line, you can't go wrong on any of the passes across the sierras.

If you want to try the high speed stuff jump on 50 east of Carson City.

Next time any of you guys ride the sierras drop me an email
Buzzlatka@hotmail.com

SLOWHAND & BUZZ:

Thanks for your response, will you please e-mail to me at aquadiosmed@msn.com

would like to discuss stuff that might be boring for others

How is the perfomance at altitude???

does the bus compensate o.k.???

does anyone know how a carbuerated bike handles the elevation at about 5,000 feet when tuned at sea level???

Alan

Back