Ringing in the ears

I have it also. I believe mine was caused from shooting hand guns without hearing protection. Dumb, I know. Mine is constant, but not so bad to make me any more crazy than "normal". I have heard that there are devices that can duplicate the ringing tone, therefore cancelling it out. How ever that works. :banghead:

I'm a member of this club. Mine ring constantly. I can't hear High pitched sounds because they are aready in my head. Brakes squeeking and such. I don't know of a cure but it sure would be nice to hear normally again. I also have a very hard time understanding what it being said on TV. Sounds like they are mumbling so I have to use the captions when I'm really interested in a show. Some one please help us hearing impaired people.:thumbsup:

Same here as everyone else....would like to hear of this home remedy myself...just about willing to try anything...I try to tune it out also..:laugh:

I've got it too; unprotected handgun shooting when I was younger (and stupid) tank cannon and turbine jump aircraft...

There isn't a cure; when the ringing stops, you'll be deaf...

Best you can do is protect what hearing you have left.

The only thing that helps me is to avoid at all costs complete silence. Sure there's likely some medicine out there that will help a little but likely it rots kidneys and your pecker quits working. Personally, I think we're a pretty damned over medicated society as is, so yeah.... Keep background noise going, and one thing that really helps me is sleeping with a fan running in the room providing just that little bit of white noise.

In complete silence, I will gradually go insane... OK more insane... However, it's so rare that I encounter complete silence that most of time, I forget I have tinnitus.
What Revlis said. Background noise is the key.

You get the ringing because some of the frequencies your ears can here have had the tissue damaged and can no longer hear that frequency. So your brain fills in the gap. It sucks, but the medications for it have terrible side effects. Not worth it in my opinion. Just try to always have some background noise and wear hearing protection when doing things with loud noises.

Huh?

Same here. Steady ring...all the time, but was worse when I was married. Back then I had a ring but also alot of blah blah take out the trash blah blah don't leave you boxers on the floor blah blah blah you are deploying again blah blah blah. Divorce cured that part. Now if I could do something about the ringing...

Last edited:
:banghead: Now I have it.... when I listen,,, good thing I don't have much attention span! Ya, sorry for the BAD ideas, I get allot of them :laugh:

Huh?

Same here. Steady ring...all the time, but was worse when I was married. Back then I had a ring but also alot of blah blah take out the trash blah blah don't leave you boxers on the floor blah blah blah you are deploying again blah blah blah. Divorce cured that part. Now if I could do something about the ringing...

:laugh::rofl::laugh:

jeez allot of us have it, i dont really remember when mine came about, but it seems i have been dealing with it for about 15 yrs now..

Funny this topic should come up.

Just two weeks ago I went to a VA rep to check into getting VA benafits.

After the guy goes through my record it turns out I have at least 4 qualifying disabilities noted in my medical record. He pretty much said since it is in my medical record those are a done deal.

He then asked me if I had any hearing loss. I was really sure how to respond and he says.

"when you are in total silence do you hear anything" And I said well there is a low humming noise that is constant, but I only notice it when It is totally silent.

he looks at me and says "you have hearing loss" and I said "no kidding? that humming noise I hear isnt normal?"

and he said "nope"

Go figure.

Then I thought about it and realized 9 years of working around fighter air craft, sometimes having my head about 6 inches from the jet engine at high power with the throttles in military while I was doing fire bottle checks probably would have caused some hearing damage :rofl:

But at least it isnt as bad as what pacemaster describes, I have talked with people that have rining so bad in their ears it almost drives them crazy

For years I used to go the drag strips, dirt tracks almost every weekend,listen to loud rock music and my job site was extreemly loud all with out the benefit of ear plugs. The ringing was subdued at first but got louder over the years. Generally, I tune it out.

tinitus is when the little bones of your inner ear are vibrating constantly. There is no known cure and thank God I don't have it as bad as some people I've heard about where it literally drives them crazy and they have to be medicated. Wardie

Huh?

:rofl:

I've got it too; unprotected handgun shooting when I was younger (and stupid) tank cannon and turbine jump aircraft...

There isn't a cure; when the ringing stops, you'll be deaf...

Not necessarily so.
My father is deaf in one ear and has ringing in THE DEAF ear and NO ringing in the good ear. Screwed up, huh?
I've had ringing for my whole adult life. It ain't getting any better. I went to an audiologist for a hearing test and he said there's really nothing to stop it. Like others, the only time I don't hear it is when I'm in a REALLY loud environment.
I would LOVE to hear total silence again. It's one of my little dreams.

Thanks for responding.... Surprised other here have it too.. maybe shouldn't be though.
There are many ideas out there on reducing the ringing....I have nerve damage due to a very bad sinus infection.. In 1981. No cure or surgery available.
Believe me i have had every test there is by ENT's.and my doctor too.
Just a few things.... less salt is good, Less stress is good, Ginko B, Coffee cruda, goldenseal hydrastus ?? Is what a person wrote in the E book i bought and said he got much relief. Alcohol , caffein , Nictotine also can make it worse.....That sucks........
Alcohol is how i can go to sleep.. almost pass out...and sometimes i do in my rocking chair...Oh the peacfullness of that. But as soon as i wake up it's just screaming at max volume. Just lately its been louder than usual causing me much grief. Just trying to cope.
Oh and avoid aspirin , ibuprophen , Tylenol is OK. Take care gang.

Last edited:
I have heard of a few people say that taking the supplement beta carotene helps but doesn't totally get rid of it... if anyone tries it let me know...
Beta carotene contains vitamin A (the real source of relief) which can be toxic at high levels... however when you take Beta Carotene you don't have to worry about that as the excess A is flushed from your body... unlike if you chose to take a true vitamin A supplement

Back