Right side Faring bolt is stripped

jayy

Registered
I guess i tighted the bolts to tight on the right side of the fairing in the middle and at the end by the foot peg ...now there stripped and I can get them out....any ideas?
rock.gif

Get an EZ out drill bit from Harbour Freight. It digs in & will remove the old bolt. You could always just drill it out & retap it.

Get an EZ out drill bit from Harbour Freight. It digs in & will remove the old bolt. You could always just drill it out & retap it.
+1

I had to drill out the one by the kickstand on mine when I first got my bike. It was so dayum tight i striped the 4mm hex hole to a 4mm round hole.

normally ( I use allen socket driven bits on a racket) if I use a brass hammer and give them a sharp tap, then a fresh allen wrench they come out. Your bolts are A2 303 stainless, you should destroy multiple wrenches before the bolt.

never have had to drill out a fairing bolt on a Suzuki.

Oh.... just the head of the hex bolt is stripped its a cirle..... bolt was so tight... I will go with ez out or something I can get from sears or whatever the hardware store has today...

The other option is to dremel (CAREFULLY!!) a notch in the bolt to make it a "flathead screw" we do this all the time on rusted brake rotor bolts on beamers.

I have a GRABIT, does not work neither does the one from sears. But your welcome to try, maybe you will have better luck, I always just make worse a mess out of the fastener.
banghead.gif

I always put a dab of anti-seize on mine. Never got one stuck but I had one that was rounded out pretty good. A rounded Allen wrench is the most useless tool in your tool box!
thumb_up.gif

I have a GRABIT, does not work neither does the one from sears.  But your welcome to try, maybe you will have better luck, I always just make worse a mess out of the fastener.
banghead.gif
I was gonna say the same thing but then 80 guys hop on and tell ya that they are the best thing since sliced bread so why bother. Take notice the grab it ad is all about screws going into wood. Alum and stainless create a bond after awhile...almost like you weld them together. Then when you finallly break them lose it a toss up if the stainless let's any threads behind in the aluminuim.

I got the bolt out...myy partner had a Grabit that didnt work...used a screwdriver and a hammer...i didnt even damage the plastic...

Back