Right hand going numb

ChinoCIA

Registered
When i ride for an extended period of time my right hand keeps going numb. At first i thought it was because i was white knuckling the grip unconsciously while i rode. So now i make sure im not gripping to hard on the throttle, but my hand still gets tingly and numb. So i was thinking, are my gloves too small? I wear the icon stealth pursuit glove fyi.

What kind of physical condition are you in ? Since dropping some weight and eating right most of the time my hands falling asleep from poor circulation has dissappeared. I also make an effort to use my back muscles to hold myself up instead of leaning all my upper body weight on my hands. After a while I forget to hold myself up to get the weight off my hands. Less pressure on your hands should improve circulation.

Try consciously using your legs more on the tank. If your legs are not a little fatigued after a ride then you need to use them more. Your legs and tank are there to keep you in position. Your hands are only for steering, braking, clutch and throttle not for holding on.:thumbs:

Glove size can play a factor, you want them to fit, but not be restrictive. ZR and kendo are spot on, you may also be putting your body weight on your hands. Grip the tank with your legs and relax your upper body. If you need to, scoot up on the tank and use your stomach to support your upper body.

I've had this going on for a while now. My hand is also ALWAYS FREEZING COLD !!! I have diabetes, so I know that plays a huge role with me. I was also in an accident last year, and now I have lost most of the muscle in my hand. Probably from babying it ?

#1: You are leaning on the grips too hard. Move your body forward for a more upright seating position; use helibars and risers to get your hands up even further.

#2: Part of being a diabetic is decreased bloodflow/nerves to your extremities. That is definitely a possibility. Watch your blood sugar when riding, exercise, lose weight and try the same things mentioned above. Good luck.

Vibration can also trigger numbness, make sure the front tire is properly balanced. My hands are pretty sensitive to vibration and poorly balanced tires have caused me all sorts of grief in the past.

I'm VERY conscience about NOT leaning on the bars. Because I was guilty of this for a long time. Now I make sure I can lift my hands off the bars without my body moving.

I'm still trying to lose weight, already lost close to 100 lbs. I can't beleive I was that heavy. It didn't take long either, with eating McDonalds at least once a day. I watch my sugars close now too. I didn't for years like an idiot, and I'm paying for it now. Can't feel my feet hardly at all, and have no pain sensation in arms & legs, and been in the hospital 2 times in the past year because of an infection in my foot.

Kinda off topic, but aren'y you supposed to put a lot of your weight on the foot pegs as well ? I remember seeing a video with pro racers, giving tips on a bike, saying that their but is almost never on the seat. And when you're done riding if your legs aren't sore, you weren't doing it right ?? Wish I could find that video again. It's the one that taught me about how you should be able to take your hands off the bars while in a turn, withought your body moving. When the guy tried to let go (while on the sside stand), he almost fell off the bike.

SORRY for the thread-jack !!

Another possibility is carpal tunnel. Friend of mine had the same thing where his hands would go numb after a short time of riding. Had the surgery and no more problems.

Gonz

Try some heavier bar ends and get a cramp buster for a couple of dollars. Getting into more expensive options if you have long periods of throttle use you can a throttle lock or a true cruise control.

u installed Kurkuyn iso grips that are a bigger diameter. seems to help. that might be a step u can take to help take away some pain. also make sure u get the heavy bar ends for those grips if u choose them. my hands arnt very well either. a good glove and grips can help. i just take more breaks now also

My right shoulder is jacked from playing football, lifting weights, etc..... sometimes if I lay the wrong way i'll wake up and my entire arm will be numb or i'll have an intense throbbing pain. when I ride my busa and I'm just cruising with my hand basically jus cupping the throttle my pinkie and ring finger will sometimes go numb from the vibration. I ditched the weighted bar ends for bar mirrors and did an R1 throttle tube swap so I'm sure these contribute to extra vibration. But recently I rode a HD nightrod for a little over 2 1/2 hours straight and there was plenty of vibration there but the handgrips were larger in diameter and a lot more comfortable. I had them things gripped riding down the highway and not once did I feel any numbness or tingling so you might want to look in2 a set of padded grips and see if that does the trick

Everytime I buy a bike I always buy a set of foam grips. I think the brand name is "Grab On". However, other grip makers may offer foam grips in their inventory. They are definately softer and make riding a more comfortable experience. They use to be dirt cheap at $6 a pair. Don't recall the price I paid last time but it wasn't much.

What cruise control are you guys using? I bought one but I can't get it to fit.

Also put 1 inch bar risers on and that made a difference.

Still waiting for a used set of heli bars to show up... or make my own.

ProGrip 761 gel grips.
Sometimes listed as scooter grips, but work on motorcycles fine.
They are thicker in the center and taper down to each end.
They aren't rock hard, or squishy either, a happy medium.
I had them on my gen2 and my B-King and they make a big difference.
Available in open or closed end. Had the open end on the Busa, and accidentally ordered closed ends for the B-King. No problem though, just cut the end out with a razor blade and you can't tell the difference.
They're cheap enough to try too, less than $12 shipped.

Pro Grip Motorcycle Street Grips Black PG761BK Free USA SHIP | eBay

ProGrip 761 gel grips.
Sometimes listed as scooter grips, but work on motorcycles fine.
They are thicker in the center and taper down to each end.
They aren't rock hard, or squishy either, a happy medium.
I had them on my gen2 and my B-King and they make a big difference.
Available in open or closed end. Had the open end on the Busa, and accidentally ordered closed ends for the B-King. No problem though, just cut the end out with a razor blade and you can't tell the difference.
They're cheap enough to try too, less than $12 shipped.

Pro Grip Motorcycle Street Grips Black PG761BK Free USA SHIP | eBay

I like this idea. I am sure the foam works well but it looks kinda dorky. I am a little skeptical that they will make a big difference in had numbness/fatigue since they look similar to stock grips. Sixpack, is it the gel and/or the shape that makes the difference? Would like to try them but not sure this would be enough to make a diference for me. I am using a 1" riser and Throttlemiester and that is really helping. When the throttle had starts going numb I just put on the cruise and shake out that hand and I am good to go for a while again.

Check out a product called motorcycle cruise 2. Its an inexspensive cruise control that works very well.

Roddie

It happens and you might find that you are helping the problem, gloves , grip, etc. I ride a good bit, so I'm less affected, but it still happens. I try to change positions from time to time, use my abs, squeeze the tank with my knees, lay on the tank, lean on my left forearm. It helps with the numb hand, sore back, and butt. My feet use to go numb too, you just have to change up now and then, or at least it has worked for me. Best of luck.

There's things you can change on the bike to help as well. Different rear sets, helibars, etc.

I like this idea. I am sure the foam works well but it looks kinda dorky. I am a little skeptical that they will make a big difference in had numbness/fatigue since they look similar to stock grips. Sixpack, is it the gel and/or the shape that makes the difference? Would like to try them but not sure this would be enough to make a diference for me. I am using a 1" riser and Throttlemiester and that is really helping. When the throttle had starts going numb I just put on the cruise and shake out that hand and I am good to go for a while again.

The shape made a big difference for me.
On my gen2 I had 1.5" risers, then heli-bars, then .75" risers and heli-bars combined, and finally a Spiegler bar conversion(dirt bike bars).
Everything is going to be a personal preference, but the shape of the 761 grips fit my hands better.
The gel also wasn't too soft to were it felt spongey or hard to hang on to, but it isn't rock hard to where it transfers vibration either.
They aren't a miracle fix, but I found them a lot more comfortable than stock.
I'de definitely recommend them and that's just my opinion, but of all the things I've tried on many bikes the 761's are a big improvement for only a few dollars.
If you try them and hate them, worst case you're out $12.:beerchug:

Back