Riding the dragon & surrounding area's

JINKSTER

I Love my Wife!
Donating Member
Registered
Well folks?..the closer it gets?...the more it's becoming more and more apparent that I won't be able to attend this upcoming Busa Rally/Bash...so...in the "Good Faith & Intentions Dept."?...I offer up the following advice for ya'lls continued health and safety...

1. Caution: In the past?..undercover cops in unmarked cars have been known to slide over and waive riders by...where you/your tag will be caught on film (passing on double yellows) and you will bestopped and cited at the overlook for doing so...so watch closely "Who's Who and leaving in What Vehicles" before heading out for a run....either way.

2. Advice: If you simply must run the dragon? (and of course we all must do so at least once or twice) the do it early or do it late...but not during the mid-day tourist rush...last year I stayed through sunday night and left monday morning..and I gotr to witness the strangest thing...about 4:00pm sunday afternoon?...all the hot locals started showing up...Darryl (From Killboy.Com) and Even Ken Wheeler (Of "Wheelers Performance") on his Pink Lizard of a TL1000 was there...as it became apparent to me that the locals are smart enough to wait for the weekend warrior tourists yo pack it in and the popo to head back to the station before they play...stay for sunday early evening dragon run if you can and are so inclined...it's a blast...oh you won't keep up with Ken or Darryl but...the crowd shrinks to near zilch by 4:00pm Sunday.

3. Whe running the Cherohola?..(affectionately known as "The CherryHole")...there's a real bad decreasing radius curve that can bitecha big time...it's located at mile marker 11...so between miles 10 and 12 on the cherohola?..heads up.

4. The "Foothills Parkway" is das bomb for the Busa...and running 143 too HWY28 through fontana to the CROT (Crossroads Of Time) is kick azz....28 runs right along the river and is fun as he11 to run.

5. Don't miss an opportunity to take a day to do the Blood Mountain Run take it right down into Suches where you can do "The Cooler Run"...which is a loop of "180 East/129North/60 S.E."..or?..reverse it if you like.

6. There is no such thing as "Over-Dressed" as far as saftey gear is concerned when riding in that area...if you have protective gear?....bring it all and wear it all...and no..riding pants ISN'T over the top.

7. Ride with like skilled riders and...Don't ride in ultra large groups..3-4 is great...6 is good...8 is stretching it a tad...10 is really pushing it..the smaller you are?..the more organized and safer you will be..and you'll learn each others quirks and habits in short order and rapidly establish a pecking order to ride the pace with formation leading from most skilled to least skilled.

8. Always ride your own ride and never ride over your head especially to "Catch Up"...let'em go...it ain't worth it..and if their worth anything?..you'll see'em wait'in for ya at the next intersection/turning point.

9. Check your air pressure when you get there...it's typically colder in the mountains and tires tend to lose a couple pounds....then check it often.

10. Your Busa will be doing a lot of hard pull grunting through those curves..make certain your chain is well lubed and adjusted and check it at least once every day..I typically do a full maint. inspection/adjust before ever leaving the motel each and every morning...or get it done the night before.

11. Check the road condition reports at the dragonstore or TailoftheDragon.com...they'll keep you informed of the latest including stuff like wet leaves and such.

and that's about it folks...and if anybody else can think of anything else to add?..feel free and L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Good advice on just about any ride I would have to say.

Only thing to add is if your on large group rides find the place where you fit in and make sure you have space before each turn. As Jinkster said above just let them go, on almost every large group ride I go on there are abilities all over the place, sometimes I find myself at the front and other times at the back. I'm old enough to know either place is just fine with me, it's all about the ride anyways, it's not a race! The winner comes home on their bike.

<!--EDIT|manatrader
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145213561 -->

Real good advice.
28 from the 4lane back to Franklin is awesome too. Thats my daily run up there and my way to get to CROT. Last thing, make sure your tag is displayed properly. Thats a big pet peeve of the local police, especially when you cross into Tennessee.

Great advice! Thanks, Jinks!

Sorry you won't be able to make it...

Jinks, the BASH will not be the same w/out you, is there anything I, or other attendees can do to help you make it???
If so let me know by pm or on this thread and we'll get you there one way or another. BTW good write up on the safety issues for the Dragon or any ride.

Carry With You:

* Spare Chain
* Brake fluid
* Lubricant
* Basic Tools

I dont think everyone needs to carry their own set of tools - have a set between the group and that will be good.

If any of you have backpacks that have a water reservoir built in - fill it up with water + electrolyte mix and sip regularly. I do this before ANYTHING else when I go on long runs.

Good advice guys. The thing that would just ruin this event for me would be someone going down a getting hurt and trashing their bike Lets all be careful.

beerchug.gif

Jinks, the BASH will not be the same w/out you, is there anything I, or other attendees can do to help you make it???
    If so let me know by pm or on this thread and we'll get you there one way or another.  BTW good write up on the safety issues for the Dragon or any ride.
Bill...thank you so much for the kind words and gesture and I had a blast riding with yourself, jeremy and warbaby the last year...however...I've got some pending personal issues that are holding me back from attending. But I'll do my best to make the fall bash...also...the bash will be just fine as I'll still be there in spirit.
biggrin.gif

Thank you again my kind friend and, L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Back