Riding style for safety

darth frosty

Registered
I was on the way home from work today(In my truck it was chilly this morning.) I saw a couple of Guys on crotch rockets (couldnt get close enough to ID them) and these cats were riding all over the freeway. You know the type switching lanes, Standing on the footpegs, an accident waiting to happen. As I watched there antics, I began to think about my own riding style and philosophy.

When I am on the HWY, I tend to stay in the Left lane. Obviously this lane does tend to be faster, But the main reason I do this is because in the left lane danger can come from one direction (in the form of a cager invading your space) and normally you have the shoulder as an escape route if necesary(also you have less chance of being in someones blind spot.) I ride with the thought that everybody on the road, not only doesn't see me, they are out to get me as well.

This may sound harsh But I think back to a Jay Leno joke. He was talking about being stuck in traffic and getting mad at the bikes that split lanes. He said that even he as an avid rider, gets the thought in his head 'what if I opened my door.' Like I said this was a joke, but sadly there are sick people on the road.

All of this got me to wondering what are some of your riding habits and philosophies for safety?

I drive extremely defensive, never allowing myself to ride in anyones blind spot. I like to stay just ahead of the traffic, but hardly ever pass. I dont swerve around or stand on the pegs, but the odd time I put my feet on the back pegs to move the pain to a different part of my body for a while.

I am still unsure about the whole lane splitting deal- I never ever share lanes, I like the 2 second rule.

Back