Riding in dark with HIDs

karnage

Registered
I left for work this morning and the HID low beam was good and bright but went out after about a 1/2 mile.Came back on then went out, then came back on and stayed on for my 45 min ride to work.What the hell.I rode for 2 days and it was on and stayed on.It was chilly this morning but that shouldnt have affected it right.I emailed the place I got them from.I am afraid at this rate the bulb will burn out.It stayed on all the way home after work.It does light up the road and everything else and is a cool blue color.I will say the stock high beam sucks with that projector housing.Anybody else have this issue??

Where did ya get em? Id be more worried about not havin a light while riding rather than the life of the bulb.

Have ya checked all the hook ups to be sure nothings loose? Id think that may be the issue.

I left for work this morning and the HID low beam was good and bright but went out after about a 1/2 mile.Came back on then went out, then came back on and stayed on for my 45 min ride to work.What the hell.I rode for 2 days and it was on and stayed on.It was chilly this morning but that shouldnt have affected it right.I emailed the place I got them from.I am afraid at this rate the bulb will burn out.It stayed on all the way home after work.It does light up the road and everything else and is a cool blue color.I will say the stock high beam sucks with that projector housing.Anybody else have this issue??

Thats why you have to make sure you install them right the first time.

Now you are probably going to have to take the nose back off, sounds like a loose wire or something.

I agree it sounds like a loose connection. Just go through the install again. Good luck finding the problem!

I did install everything right.I didnt have to take the nose off as it was pretty easy without doing that really.My connections seemed tiight and I taped up the 2 that go to the plug for the bulb.Thing is it didnt do it on the way home or the day before.I will pull the side panel off again and check but the only real connection that can come loose is the 2 loose spade connectors that go to the bulb plug that turns on the relay for the ballast.Everything else was plug and play.There is the heavy ground and power from the battery terminal.I just dont get it why it stayed on on the way home but went out in the morning.Maybe I will unclip the connectors out of the bulb plug and slde the male spades in that way and crimp them down then heat shrink them.

i originally installed the DEI timer relay, but that quit working after a week. I left my OEM high beam in place just for that rewason. I installed a different timer relay and all is good. If you have a timer relay, it could be flaky. Try just a straight hook up and see how that works for a few days.

Disclaimer....this is just my opinion as I am not a HID expert by no means!!

Its on a relay but not a delay like I thought.I take power right off the battery so it gets full voltage allways and I just start it with the key while hitting the start button.Maybe my relay is flakey.It did work fine all the way home from work.Never flickered at all.Once I get back home monday I will open up the side panel and check my connections but the only one that can be bad are the 2 spade connections that push into the headlight plug to power up the relay.

I double checked all the wiring and its good as I figured.I am real meticulous about my wiring.I tried the other ballast and same thing, the bulb went out,came on, went out came on.The company thinks it may be a faulty bulb.I did touch the wires coming out of the bulb and it went out.He is sending me another bulb and hopefully that solves the issue.

sounds like you have it figured out. jiggling the wire and losing illumination it probably is the bulb. Update us after you get your new bulb...

I purchased a set from DDM and seemed to be the only one that had a bulb go bad out of the box. I installed the HIDs, then the high beam stopped working a couple of days later. It was have a very similar problem that you are having with yours. I replaced the bulb and all has been well for several hundred miles. FYI, if you have a Gen II, you can install the bulbs from under the front fairing much easier than taking out the cluster and other panels.

I am starting to think there is something loose but what??I hooked the setup on my car and it stayed on without a hitch.I hooked the ballast direct with the relay and harness and the bulb still went out.Should I ground it on the battery or on the engine??I have it grounded up by the neck under the clutch line bracket right on the frame.Does it matter how its hooked up??Maybe the wires to the ballast are backwards.Wrong polarity??The stock bulb stays on strong.I am stumped but will look again tomorrow.Also you can hook this all up without taking out the cluster or headlight.I just took out the left side panel and the cover underneath the headlight and you can get right in there.I am starting to not like HIDs.

I forgot to mention that it stays lit when the bike is not running.It does this when running.Going out and back on.It works fine on my car which is really confusing me.

Dang I read this thread then on my way into work,my hid on my wifes bike cut off.then after 3-4 mi it came back on, after I restarted while rolling down the road
Posted via Mobile Device

I just purchased a new slim digital xentec hid kit. Do I need a relay or delay 2 hook the lights up proper or just plug and play? I keep reading different things. Oh I have an 04 busa
Posted via Mobile Device

I just purchased a new slim digital xentec hid kit. Do I need a relay or delay 2 hook the lights up proper or just plug and play? I keep reading different things. Oh I have an 04 busa
Posted via Mobile Device

Some folks say you don't need a delay timer...just do some secret handshake sequence thing to keep the bulb from igniting until after the bike is started. Gen II's work well with the starting procedure. Helps prevent excessive cycling on/off/on. My '02 doesn't work with the sequence. I installed a delay and everything is good for now. I also left my OEM high beam in place in case I have a ballast/bulb/igniter problem. Besides, I feel the HID low beam is plenty bright.

Well I think I know what the issue is.It will fire off when the bike is running and around 14.6 volts, then the light goes out, check the voltage and its spiked up to 18 volts so I am sure that shuts the ballast off and my rectifier is shot.Weird that it starts up at 14 volts then spikes up to 18 volts.Guess I will order a new rectifier.Damn it!!Explains why when the bike is not running the light stays on.

Back