Riding gear review.

Jynx

Registered
OK...now that I have about 600 miles on the bike and my gear, I thought that I would provide a throough review of my riding gear.

Here is what I have:

Icon Mainframe Rubitone helmet in flat black (with clear and a dark smoke visor)
First Racing leather jacket - black
Icon Hooligan gloves - black
Icon Motorhead boots - black

Helmet
First things first, I love the looks of the helmet.  I took all of the stickers off of it (cept the dot/snell sticker), since they looked cheap anyways...and like the look a lot better.  The helmet is stable at high speed, and I have yet to get a sore neck from buffeting (though my ZG DB helps in that regard).  The helmet does lift unless you are FULLY tucked...but some like this, as it pulls you up a bit, relieving hand pressure.  The helmet has a tendency to "whistle" though at speed, which is annoying, though I don't wear plugs all the time.  The little fog shield that comes with it is completely and utterly worthless...and in fact I think it makes fogging worse.  The helmet doesn't vent the shield area well enough for my liking...and under 45 degrees, is pretty bad.  It does have decent venting up top though...the vents on top DO work, and the helmet was nice and comfy when I rode it in 82 degree weather.  Not too hot...vented well.  Though not certain how it will work when the temp soars...  The quality on the inside of the helmet is decent...the cheekpads come out...though for the life of me, I can't figure out how the liner comes out to wash...though it is supposed to I believe.  Also the "chin mesh cover" keeps wanting to come out on the one side...but it is removable with 2 little tabs though...so when summer gets here it comes off, but it does help with cold weather (and may be part of the reason that it fogs easily).  The quality on the outside is, meh, not as good as I had hoped...the top tunnel vents, right in front...the plastic is lifting and is going to require me to glue it down with superglue...though it is not noticable from more than 2 feet away.  The rubitone coating on it, does show finger marks a bit...and bugs stick to it a bit more, but I love the flat black...so I will call that a wash.  For comfort...the helmet excels.  I have a big melon...7 5/8...and the 2x fits nicely.  It was a little tight at first, but it is conforming nicely.  Visors are fairly easy to change...but you have to make certain that it is snapped in fully...do one side at a time...or the little levers will pop up when you flip it down.  Visors offer no visual distortion.

Pros:  Looks bad ass, top venting very functional, comfortable, removable cheek pads, quick change visors work nice, stable at speed.

Cons:  Liner not removable like it states, rubitone shows marking easy and bugs stick, whistles at speed, poor quality on the top vent channels, fogs easily, breath deflector worthless

Conclusion:  I paid less than $200 for the lid...and to a certain extent "you get what you pay for", I still feel the lid holds it's own with lids twice it's price in terms of features and functionality.  I give it a 7 out of 10.

Jacket
The jacket has a removable fleece liner, and the arms are a 2-part leather/canvas-like material duo...with leather on the outside, canvas like material on the inside, with adjustable straps on the arms.  It has a zipper vent on each upper arm, 2 on the chest, and a big one in back.  Also features an inside pocket for a cell phone, etc, and adjustable waist straps, as well as a zipper for attaching pants.  Also has 2 vertical small reflective strips in back, and a deep cut tail section for tucking.  Has a mesh lining with removable soft pad armor in the elbows, upper arm, shoulder, and back.  Feels like a full back protector could fit with no issues.  Well, I have to say that I absolutely LOVE this jacket.  It has every single feature that I was looking for in $400+ jackets.  The jacket is comfortable as hell...and VERY warm with the liner.  45 minute 40 degree romps are easy with just a thin "mock turtleneck" under it (to protect the neck a bit).  If the temp gets above 60 though, you want that liner out...too warm.  Also don't make the mistake of wearing it with short sleeves when it gets warm.  It clung to my arms and I ended up tearing 2 little loops on each arm on the inside that attach the liner to the jacket on the inside arm trying to get it off.  Jacket looks nice...has an athletic cut to it...and for guys with a bit of a pouch...is very flattering (if I must say so myself).  When it gets warm out...well...82 is warm in WI...with no liner and with all vents open, it felt like I had air conditioning.  I see NO problems wearing this in upwards of 90-95 degrees.  Not too bad for a thick leather jacket.  My only gripe with it, is that when wearing a t-shirt under it, the velcro enclosures are kind of scratchy and annoying...but that could be resolved with 15 minutes and some scissors to trim them up.

Pros: Looks, has every feature of $400+ jackets in a $220 package, nice thick leather, adjustable arms, plenty of functional venting, 3 pockets (1 inside), adjustable waist, zipper for pants, removable warm liner, collar not too thick, and comfortable as hell.

Cons: None

Conclusion: GREAT jacket for a GREAT price.

Gloves
The gloves are not "full gauntlet", coming just past the wrist bone area, are full leather, and feature reinforced palms and fingers, and nice thick armor on the front and sides, with a wrist bone protector, and have a velcro enclosure.  All stictching is on the outside, so the inside is VERY comfortable.  I love these gloves!  They are not too hot to wear on warm days (though may get hot in 90+ weather), and are VERY comfortable and seem to shape nicely to be even more comfortable the more I wear them.  The stitching and armor ont he outside is a stellar idea for comfort...and the nice cotton lining they have make them perfect in terms of comfort.  The 1st couple times I wore them though, took a little getting used to them so that I was not bumping the flash to pass button with my index finger).  My only knock on them, is that they are NOT a cold weather glove...and if you ride for more than 15 minutes below 50, you will know it.  Hands freeze on a 45 minute ride at 40...

Pros: Comfort, fit, looks, protection, excellent general purpose glove.

Cons: Not very good in cold weather

Conclusions: Love them and recommend them

Boots
The boots are over the ankle "work boot" style boots, with double snap-shut enclosure/straps...one across the bridge of the foot, one above the ankle.  Feature a no-skid sole, toe-bars for shifter feel/grab, and leather protectors on the inside for heat protection and for extra wear against rearsets.  Out of all the of the equipment that I bought...these are by FAR my favorite.  Love them, love them, love them.  If I wouldn't look like such a dork, I would wear them around all over, just because they are so comfortable.  I could ramble on forever about how comfortable they are.  The boots are SOLIDLY made...and would offer EXCELLENT protection in a crash.  They are great in warm weather, and are warm enough for 45 minutes in 40 degree weather...  My only knocks on them is that you really have to break them in before you ride with them...they squeak a bit on the buckles when you walk, and if I had a choice I would make the soles a bit thinner to provide better peg feel.  And being SUPER nit-picky...with the rubber on the stock pegs...the shoes are REALLY grabby...like they don't want to let go.  On pegs without rubber (which I want to get), they would be kick ass.  But quick...run to the nearest reseller and BUY THEM!  You will love 'em just as much as me.

Pros:  Comfort (x10), keep feet warm in cold weather, not too hot in warm weather, 2 adjustable snap enclosure/straps, shifter feelers, and sitcky soles.

Cons: Squeak when walking, sole too thick?, possibly too grabby on stock pegs.

Conclusion: What are you waiting for? Order them already.

<!--EDIT|Jynx
Reason for Edit: None given...|1116397333 -->

Back