Riding Gear Question - Went out today to buy and came home frustrated

They look, fit, and feel good.
Leather doesn't expire.
I have replaced my gloves and helmets several times in 21 years.
The Joe Rocket leather is thick and high quality(at least it was then).
Leather conditioner has kept it from drying out or cracking.
If I didn't feel safe in it I wouldn't wear it.
It's my gear, I inspect it, I take care of it, time passes, alot of it, and they're still good.
I have looked at several new suits, some of which the leather wasn't as thick, and did not feel like it would physically protect me nearly as well.
The speed hump went out of style...then came back, and I see it as extra protection for my neck, limiting helmet movement backwards like a Hans device, and extra padding on my neck in a crash.
I bought them when I was 23...I'm almost 45...and they still fit me correctly.
I see no need to replace them.
I am considering a new suit in the future for an airbag jacket, otherwise, I'm good.
I didn’t mean any disrespect six.
I suddenly wondered about how the thread holds up after all this time is all
It made me go and check my leathers and realise the threads are all nylon based, which I assume doesn’t age as such.
Ive recently replaced my jacket with a new tech airbag jacket and I must say, once on the bike I can’t tell any difference from that to my old one.

I’m currently in the process of getting new pants as over the last 12mnths gone from a 38-40” to a 34-36” waist. And everyone keeps making fun of my baggy, noshape arse. :D
The new ones will be my first set with sliders on them

It made me go and check my leathers and realise the threads are all nylon based, which I assume doesn’t age as such.
Ive recently replaced my jacket with a new tech airbag jacket and I must say, once on the bike I can’t tell any difference from that to my old one.

I’m currently in the process of getting new pants as over the last 12mnths gone from a 38-40” to a 34-36” waist. And everyone keeps making fun of my baggy, noshape arse. :D
My bad, I didn't think any disrespect was meant, I was just explainging my thinking on their age, sorry it came across that way:beerchug:

My bad, I didn't think any disrespect was meant, I was just explainging my thinking on their age, sorry it came across that way:beerchug:
....geez....get a room you two......:lol:

Very interesting - Leathers are still favored by all for a lot of reasons. I did find a gentleman locally in Toronto area so 2 hours away that will make a custom suit - 2 piece for about $1000 Cdn. That is with my own design / concept ( Kanji symbols or Suzuki or Hayabusa text whatever ) and in my own colors of choice. He said bring a photo of what you like and we can build it guaranteed and custom fit. SO this is certainly an option - he was going away for two weeks vacation so may go this route very soon. I have been researching Textile options to see if I can find something with good armor and possibly an air bag solution.

If I go textile I know it will fit and adjust far easier. I own a few Joe Rocket outfits in Textile and they are amazing - love the Alter Ego I think that is its name but it comes with two jackets - one protective outside jacket and another completely different jacket which is mesh for hot summer riding ( both with armour ) - I used these all the time for obvious reason - mid day hot as hell take one jacket off - well on the BUSA one does not have saddle bags - problem where to put take off jacket - I know real world issues...

How important is it truly to wear per-curved form fitting clothing or does it make all the difference :)
SO many options to consider - technology is changing so fast - its hard to keep up with it to be honest. Never needed an airbag before, but, now in my 60's well I don't need to wish I had is my point.

Lasso Leathers

I find pre curved in the gloves and elbows work well for me. Especially on the busa. Sit, relax, lean forward and everything seems to fit in a non stressed, neutral feeling.

Knowing I have an airbag jacket hasn’t changed the way I ride. Ride exactly same as before. But as I’m not going to mend as well or fast as I would have in times past, it’s a nice little thing to have at the back of your mind. Plus the look on peoples faces when you tell them my jacket has an airbag is priceless

Sorry leather, even looked at the latest d-air Dainese and the issue was very tight in the chest elbow pads too high and way too tight. I was looking at two piece packages since the suits the specs would never work. I found in order to get comfort I had to go a lot larger, but then the waist was huge. Pants were way to short to get waist even close. Was really frustrating- I know 1st world issue. I found a guy who makes custom which I may have to go with.
The first proper 2 piece leathers i bought i thought were too short so swapped for a larger size to get the length right then the waist was to big.

Thing is the pants didnt need to be ankle plus long cause your boots completely protected there anyway , your pants go into the boots not over.

I was used to older traditional leathers that were made to go over boots and the jackets just sorta hung off ya.

Preformed jackets are the way to go i reckon.

I use my leather 2 piece mostly and occasionally the textiles if away for a few days during winter.

Very interesting - Leathers are still favored by all for a lot of reasons. I did find a gentleman locally in Toronto area so 2 hours away that will make a custom suit - 2 piece for about $1000 Cdn. That is with my own design / concept ( Kanji symbols or Suzuki or Hayabusa text whatever ) and in my own colors of choice. He said bring a photo of what you like and we can build it guaranteed and custom fit. SO this is certainly an option - he was going away for two weeks vacation so may go this route very soon. I have been researching Textile options to see if I can find something with good armor and possibly an air bag solution.

If I go textile I know it will fit and adjust far easier. I own a few Joe Rocket outfits in Textile and they are amazing - love the Alter Ego I think that is its name but it comes with two jackets - one protective outside jacket and another completely different jacket which is mesh for hot summer riding ( both with armour ) - I used these all the time for obvious reason - mid day hot as hell take one jacket off - well on the BUSA one does not have saddle bags - problem where to put take off jacket - I know real world issues...

How important is it truly to wear per-curved form fitting clothing or does it make all the difference :)
SO many options to consider - technology is changing so fast - its hard to keep up with it to be honest. Never needed an airbag before, but, now in my 60's well I don't need to wish I had is my point.

Lasso Leathers
I have a couple 2 piece leather suits I ordered of ebay and they took my basic measurements and did a decent job and for what I paid I was more then happy with them and they seem pretty durable but hopefully I never have to test them.

Back