Riding Gear(apparel)

TheBull350

Registered
Hey,

I just got my 03' busa and I'm lookin for a good coat. I ride in mostly warm to hot weather, Don't even know if I want leather or not! Never had a coat before, so I don't know where to start. Has there been a poll on this before? If so let me know how to get it. I really like the Hayabusa jackets from Suzuki but damn $700
rock.gif
?? Is that outrageous or what? Thanks for any help or info,
rock.gif
rock.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

marcus

rock.gif

rock.gif

confused.gif

Hey Bull welcome to the board.
I wear a Joe Rocket Meteor 3.0.....really like it but with jackets it usually comes down to what fits best, price, and personal preference.
Alot of good gear available now days.

Welcome man!

I have a Joe Rocket tex/leather mix (maybe the same one MSF has) and it is way cool in the Summer... I also have a First Gear sport jacket and it breathes pretty nicely (except those 90+ dayz). Finally, I have a First Gear Pilot something or other for the Winter and the Track. All great jackets...

IMHO - you shouldn't ride with a jacket or gloves... Occassionally, I catch myself riding to my dad's (3 blocks away) or 7-11 without one, but otherwise it is on. To dangerous out ther man. Be safe!

you can pick up the new AGV hayabusa replica jackets for $240 plus shipping.

I have the Icon TiMax jacket and I really like it. I got the black one which gets a little warm when you have to sit in traffic or a long light. But it breathes nicely when you are moving and is very light. It also has little titanium threads woven into the fabric that should prevent it from shredding as fast. PLus the jacket is unique which I like and I get a lot of compliements on it. But some people say I look like the terminator or robocop when they first see it but they generally like it. Here is the cheapest I have found it.

http://www.kneedraggers.com/index.php?partno=521-ICON-TMTJ2

Lots of choices.......
I have 4 Joe Rocket jackets (Love the price, fit, & quality). Phoenix for warm weather, Meteor for below 75 degree's, and if your looking for leather Heard Vanson is the only way to go!

The one you are wearing when you go down...Guarentee that will be the best one....

I have a big ole' woody for Vanson...Pricey but the examples I have seen are well worth it...Good stuff, fit right...

I have a set of Tourmaster mesh jacket and pants, about $160 each. It's decent. The only complaint is that I wish the upper arm had a velcro strap to minimze the exceess material flapping at speed. It seems cooler than perfed leathers, but a little more "naked" too... as in some less protection.

I woudn't use it for track time..., but it should be fine for seeing the countryside.

http://www.helmetharbor.com/streetclothing/tourmaster/opening.htm

I have a set of Tourmaster mesh jacket and pants, about $160 each.  It's decent.  The only complaint is that I wish the upper arm had a velcro strap to minimze the exceess material flapping at speed.  It seems cooler than perfed leathers, but a little more "naked" too... as in some less protection.  

I woudn't use it for track time..., but it should be fine for seeing the countryside.

http://www.helmetharbor.com/streetclothing/tourmaster/opening.htm
I have both a full perf leather and the Joe Rocket Phoenix (Synethic Mesh).
I bought the Phoenix to replace my Full Perf Leather and to be honest, I just do not trust it. I was under the impression that the mesh was Cordura Nylon (tough) find out that it is in fact freakin Polyester, yeah the same crap dad's old disco shirts were made out of. I dunno about you, but until I see some real tests, I am pretty hesitant to wear the Phoenix...Still hella better than a t-shirt, but thats a lot like saying a half helmet is better than no helmet...True, but your ass still might be toast.

Get a good perf leather, Real protection and ventilation...

"I bought the Phoenix to replace my Full Perf Leather and to be honest, I just do not trust it."

Pretty much the same, here. The textile mesh just doesn't give the same secure feeling as leather. I've got a one piece Kobe race suit that's perfed. It's got great armor and the thick leather gives real peace of mind. Trouble is, it is just too damn hot for touring... even perfed.

I divide riding into two types: racing/track work and general riding. On the track, I am accepting that I am at the edge of the stability envelope. Crashing is a real prospect... just a slight mistake away. And, the suit is capable of accepting several get-offs and still providing good protection.

In general riding, I do NOT push the envelope. There is certainly remaining risk, of course, but not such that I still dress as if for the track. This is where the much cooler mesh gear comes in. In Savannah, in the summer, it REALLY makes a difference. But, in my opinion, it looks pretty much like a one-time affair. Use it to crash (slide) once and probably replace it.

Hey,

I just got my 03' busa and I'm lookin for a good coat. I ride in mostly warm to hot weather, Don't even know if I want leather or not! Never had a coat before, so I don't know where to start. Has there been a poll on this before? If so let me know how to get it. I really like the Hayabusa jackets from Suzuki but damn $700
rock.gif
?? Is that outrageous or what? Thanks for any help or info,
rock.gif
rock.gif

marcus
$700
rock.gif
? i got the new 03 busa jacket and love it... its ok in the hot 90 deg weather too, good vents

oneida has them for 239, mine was instock when I ordered it and received it in 2 days

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guys,

The August issue of Sport Rider magazine has a great article on riding gear for different riding conditions - hot, cold, wet.
Check it out.

I have a Vanson leather with front panels that fold down for warm weather riding and it works very well. Great jacket, great fit and overall quality and it makes me feel protected.

I just bought an AGV mesh jacket for "hot" days and it has armor in it, but I agree with the Sport Rider article that you would probably be in for a bit of road rash if you went down in it.

For trips or long day rides the "vented" Vanson is a great jacket.

Kent

Vanson is the only way to go. If your on a budget like me go for the cheaper stuff but rememer cheaper isnt always better. I just picked up a FirstGear S-Pilot jacket and I must say, im pretty impressed with the quality. I got it for $200.

Big E do you know if that Jacket comes in a Navy blue or all black with white writing? That jacket is something I would like to have.

Seeing your from Maryland...I wouldn't wear it once I got back to Fort Washington. I wouldn't cramp your style pimpin'.
afro.gif

Joe Rocket Velocity decent protection vents and more user friendly than the solid leather and priced right. All black so it matchs my socks.

Hey one more thing,

I found a Joe Rocket Comet jacket, kinda like it too. It's the textile but it has leather patches on the elbows and shoulders, how are these? Really no budget but need something kinda cool for warm weather, and this jacket seems kinda nice.

Back