Riding Experience

Riding Experience - how much training?

• no training, and no license, but I still ride.

Votes: 165 99.4%
  • some training, no license, but I still ride.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no training, but I do have a valid M class license.

• I tought myself and, I have a license.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • training from the school of hard knocks, I have a license.

• training from a freind/relative, I have license.

• MSF beginners course and a license.

• MSF beginners and advanced course and a license.

• beyond MSF advanced course (please explain).

• to complicated for this poll, allow me to explain in a post...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No formal training, just talked with a lot of people especially my mechanic (who has a race team) and read a LOT of articles in Motorcyclist mag. Oh and practice practice practice...

I got started riding by crying for a whole year for a mini-bike.
On my 6th birthday the dream came true.
A Rupp Bandit frame with a new 2 1/2 hp Briggs and Stratton engine.
I have been upgrading ever since.
Just had another B-day so I am into my 33rd year of riding.
No formal training ever.

Started out at 15 and a half..riding a guy's Suzuki 90.....
Then moved to Sweden....no car or mc riding driving till 18...
so it became a 39cc Husky moped..then 50cc then 100cc.
Raced mx many years...125,250,400,500cc..350 yam,500yam,
honda 750,kz1000,900gpz kawa,gsxr1100,fzr600 which i roadraced,cb1000,kawa concours 1000,and finally a Busa...
pure love for the thing AND "respect"...no formal training...
15 and half years old--start---now 52..."lot's of miles later"
Still loving it..BIKES..nuthi'n like wheelies with the wife on the back...last weekend...

Explanation: MSF beginner course, advanced course, and one-on-one on-road training -- helped alot. Lots of practice, also, every chance I get.

I dont know if anyone is still reading this topic but oh well I will shoot anyway. I was really disappointed in the MSF advance rider course. For one it didnt help at all in my opinion. The instructor was all telling me to slow down for the swerve part of it. He didnt understand that you will be going faster than 20mph during real life accidents. I thought it was a joke and a waste of time. Maybe it was just the course I got.

I loved the MSF course; I waited 5 months to get in it, and it really paid off...I've been riding for just over a year, and yes, I've crashed (but, don't most of us at least once? I call it my learning curve)...better to crash the Harley than the Busa!

I recommend the course to anyone that wants to learn to ride over just taking to the streets...

k5 - sorry your MSF experience wasn't the best...we had cool instructors and great group of "newbies" as well as some seasoned riders. It was a great mix. Maybe the advanced class would be good for you? I hear it's pretty intense...but, I suspect you'd fair well in a closed track course where you can go faster than 20! Ride safe! cool.gif

I took the MSF (MonsterSpeedFreak) course......been working on it for 26 years and I'm still not finished....I'll stop learning the day I die.

I basically taught myself and I have a license. After riding the busa for a few weeks now I realize that I don't have the skills I thought I had. I grew up riding dirt bikes and dual purpose street/off road bikes and a few cruisers but none of this really prepared me for the busa. Sport bike riding is a whole new world...

I hope to catch the MSF Beginners course soon. I'm also taking it slow and easy getting used to the whole sport bike/busa thing. I can see improvement in my skills with each riding session but I still want the MSF course ASAP. Based on what you guys have said, I think the MSF course should put my learning rate into overdrive.

Bullet -

It was amazing to me to see what I thought I knew vs. what they taught me, and I had zero experience...my husband's been riding a lot longer than I, and had some experience with dirt bikes growing up. Even he said he learned quite a few things in the MSF Beginners course (he only took it to encourage me)...

As soon as I'm done with my Georgia law enforcement Instructor Training Course (two more weeks of that left) I'm going to get in the next available local MSF class. I can't wait. I'm sure it'll be way more fun than ITC! cool.gif

Team Suzuki Advanced Rider School 1994
MSF/KMP Instructer Training 2000
Ed Bargy Road Racing School 2002

Formerly Licenced Novice WERA
Currently Licenced MSF Rider Coach / Instructer
AHRMA Road Racing and Trial License - expired this year cause I ain't racin' this year. re-newal next year though.

:devil: both my parents ride ----bmw's--- I learned on a '74 suzuki RM 80 @ 5 yrs old. Raced motorcross until 1985. My parents helped me buy my first street bike '86 FZR 750. I learned everything from my parents....besides 100 or so track days. no motorcycle training courses.......I hear that they are good and recommend them to any one that is interested...

Got my first bike at age 8, going at it ever since. ALso MSF Beg course, and agree with Ninja Eater, never enuff!!!;)

WHEN I WAS 7 MY DAD TAUGHT ME ON MINI BIKES AND THEN A HAD A 125 ENDURO WHEN I WAS 10 .. smile.gif THEN RODE THE REST OF MY YEARS ON STREET BIKE WITHOUT A DL... UNTIL A YEAR AGO... biggrin.gif

I taught myself on a friends mini bike. My first personal bike was a '79 KZ 1300. Six cylinder baby, motor sticking out each side of the bike, six into 1 exhaust, no baffle, ROCKIN' BABY!!! Still have it in the garage, next to the 1300 Busa.

I was raised on/around bikes~ Got my first one at 12 years of age~ It was a Suzuki dirt bike~ Got my first street bike at 19... a Kawi~ Been riding ever since~
My wife just completed the MSF Coarse this past weekend~ Finished 3rd in her class (of 12) even~ It's a great coarse for beginers that are looking to get started on the right foot~ The Advanced Coarse is great for the experienced rider... even if he/she thinks they have seen it all~ Once the Mrs has built up her confidence level... we are gonna do the Advanced Coarse together~ cool.gif

lessons from my pops when I was 6; 17+ yrs experience; class M license.

Taught myself on a buddy's Interceptor 500 18 years ago plus the basic and experienced rider MSF courses. We're required to complete the experienced rider course every three years here. The training is on a super sticky aircraft parking ramp. Fun, fun fun. No chicken strips allowed.

I also have taken a road racing course in order to get my race license. On top of MSF Beginner and Advanced!

Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back