Riding Busa without mufflers

dvember

Registered
I recently installed the center stand and had to remove the mufflers.  While they were off, I could not resist - I had to start it up.  It sounded like a pro-stocker on a drag strip.  Now as a kid, I raced my car with staight headers only sometimes.  But I wanted to ask the board if this would hurt the Busa motor.  I wouldn't want to do it all the time, but it might be fun to pass a loud-piped Harley.  His pipes would be whispering in comparison.

Here is a few pics of the center stand. Cant even see it really. And dont notice the rear spoiler removed.

100_0475_50.JPG

Probably one short blast wouldn't hurt....through the gears once and putt home slow. Ps welcome to the Board. Ps something caught my eye bigtime...Those lights down low..excellent..who makes them and what did you bolt them to...On the brake caliper bolt-bolts..do they flicker abit on bumps?
Also what brand of windscreen is that..I would love to have a clear one just like it.. PaceM
biggrin.gif

Thanks PaceMaster. The lights are Motolights.
http://www.motolight.com/

And the windscreen is the Sport Touring from Zero Gravity.

The lights are awesome. People move out of your way to let you pass. I guess they look in the mirror and wonder what is coming up on them so fast...must me a UFO!!

The caliper mounts are easy to install and adjust. If you need more information, just ask.

I had MotoLights on my BMW K1200RS.

They're pretty sexy for driving lights -- nice design and finish. The standard bulbs are only 35w or something but they can be upgraded significantly. Plus, they use cheap bulbs you can find anywhere.

The 'Busa's charging system isn't all that, mind you, so if you run heated gear or a bunch of other wired accessories it will discharge your battery faster. More light = HIDs, better visibility from others = extra lights (light triangle).

I have an 01 busa with a Akrapovic full race titanium without the baffle and a powercommander. It has been mapped for this setup. I recently had the canister off and I started it up. It sounded like it had a sidewinder pipe on a pro street. After a short period of time it began to elope irradically so I switched it off. If just pulling the canister made this much difference on mine and it is mapped, it may not be safe to take both stock mufflers off. If you decide to try it,just listen carefully to the motor.

The stock mid pipes are pretty restrictive by themselves so I doubt running without the cans will hurt much, only will be louder.

Watch your temp gage though (lean condition will run hotter). If it gets too lean (too much air flow - not enough fuel) you will damage your engine. Again, just keep an eye on the temp gage.

<!--EDIT|EAKbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1095700350 -->

Do us all a favor (your neighbors too) and don't run your bike sans mufflers.

I wish more folks considered themselves embassadors of our sport. You obviously have no clue what sort of damage you do to our collective reputation in pulling these sorts of stunts.

[/rant mode]

Mcoyte, you are exactly right on the power issue. I have a BMW K1200LT and from those guys I learned about Motolights. No problem with that charging system, but dont leave your lights on with the Busa engine off for very long or you will have to push start...

Thanks GreyRocket for your compliments.

Thanks Gregg for the advice. It was just a thrill to listen to the rumble, but they put those mufflers on for a reason...

PaceMaster, you are very welcome. Tina at Motolights treats you like family. And you can call anytime and they are willing to help. They build those right in their own shop. Very High Quality.

Thanks EAKbusa for the advice. I am sure the engine will get very hot running like that, especially at high revs.

And finally, opdsgt, thank you. But you obviously don't realize your criticism doesn't define me, it defines you as someone who needs to criticize...

Just Ride It....

Back