RIDER DOWN update

NCBusa2001

Registered
Hi everyone. Here’s an update on my crash situation. The adjuster came over and looked at the bike (came a day early and I wasn’t there) and estimated $4300 worth of damage. The insurance company is cutting a check less my deductible. He did not ride it or bring any measuring equipment (calipers, micrometers..ect) and told my wife “I cant tell if the forks are bent.†(And I assume any other front-end damage).

Since he’s been out a friend of mine was able to take the bike for a spin (yes, without the right peg). He noted no wobbles, lean, or pulling to side at all. He did hear a moderate “scraping†sound that was speed related. After closer examination I noticed that the right front rotor was scraping the brake pads over about a 7 inch outside circumference. The left one is fine.

-Should I get a “readjustment†in the damage check to cover this new finding? Can I assume that the rotor is the only thing that needs replacing? (Given that there is no headshake the front wheel is OK…right?)

I am trying to put the bike back together in stock form.
For those members who have major custom bikes, Do you have any left over stock parts that you might want to sell for a 2001 blue and silver? Please refer to the last post to see the bike pictures.

But a short list of parts is;

- Exhaust pipe sock or aftermarket from the exhaust ports back. (Will consider pretty much anything except a full racing pipe. I would like to keep my low-end power.)
- Right foot peg
- Right front fairing
- Speedometer glass
- Right mirror
- Rear plastic
- Front brake reservoir cap
- Front brake rotor
- Right exhaust hanger

That’s a start. If any one can help or answer questions please post a comment. You all have been an excellent resource. I am eternally thankful. Chris

Hi everyone.  Here’s an update on my crash situation.  The adjuster came over and looked at the bike (came a day early and I wasn’t there) and estimated $4300 worth of damage.  The insurance company is cutting a check less my deductible.  He did not ride it or bring any measuring equipment (calipers, micrometers..ect) and told my wife “I cant tell if the forks are bent.† (And I assume any other front-end damage).  

Since he’s been out a friend of mine was able to take the bike for a spin (yes, without the right peg).  He noted no wobbles, lean, or pulling to side at all.  He did hear a moderate “scraping†sound that was speed related.  After closer examination I noticed that the right front rotor was scraping the brake pads over about a 7 inch outside circumference.  The left one is fine.  

-Should I get a “readjustment†in the damage check to cover this new finding?  Can I assume that the rotor is the only thing that needs replacing? (Given that there is no headshake the front wheel is OK…right?)  

I am trying to put the bike back together in stock form.  
For those members who have major custom bikes, Do you have any left over stock parts that you might want to sell for a 2001 blue and silver?  Please refer to the last post to see the bike pictures.  

But a short list of parts is;  

- Exhaust pipe sock or aftermarket from the exhaust ports back.   (Will consider pretty much anything except a full racing pipe.  I would like to keep my low-end power.)
- Right foot peg
- Right front fairing
- Speedometer glass
- Right mirror
- Rear plastic
- Front brake reservoir cap
- Front brake rotor
- Right exhaust hanger

That’s a start.  If any one can help or answer questions please post a comment.  You all have been an excellent resource.  I am eternally thankful.  Chris
Talk to Rhythm, I believve he may have some parts soming up pretty soon, and you can get some pimp wear for your ride...

I'ld take the bike down to my local dealer and have them give it the "once over". The adjuster probably doesn't ride and has no interest in anything except cutting the cost as low as possible and saving the insurance company some $$$. While on the other hand the local mechanic makes his money fixing problems and will most likely point out everything and anything wrong. Get an estimate from him and give it to the adjuster before you accept the check....imho

Dezzy, who do you take your bike to, any reccomendations? All the ones around here pretty much suck.

There has to be some one that still has a few parts lying around.

Thanks, Chris

Definately get another estimate from a mechanic. Best option is take your bike to a suzuki dealership. Tell them you want it fixed like new, no shortcuts. Have them do an estimate(their estimate charge is claimable from your insurance). Then the insurance adjuster comes and will use the dealership's estimate as a guide. The adjuster can't lower the estimate amount from the dealership's estimate, unless the company has specific guidelines to quote to you. For example, I want the left engine plastics replaced, but the insurance company's policy is to try repair before replacing.........Be sure to have the dealership include on the estimate(in writting) that hidden damage may exist. That allows you to file a supplement for any additional charges.....................Now since the adjuster has allready looked at your bike, I would definately find out if you can file a supplemental claim if you find additional damage the adjuster didn't orginally find. Hope this helps.

Also, just because you got an estimate from a dealer doesn't mean you have to fix it with them. Just don't tell them that until after you get your check. The check will be made out to you not the dealership. Also, word of caution. You are reponsible for ensuring proper and complete repair work is done. The insurance company will do nothing for you if the mechanic does a shoddy job.

told my wife “I cant tell if the forks are bent.â€￾    After closer examination I noticed that the right front rotor was scraping the brake pads over about a 7 inch outside circumference.  The left one is fine.  
Hi ya NC...how ya doin, ma' man .

Sounds like another awesome GUESS from some insurance fughead ( my appologies to all the insurance fugheads out there ) . I wouldnt be thrilled with his offer . You pay insurance for a reason.....and this(yer crash) is a pretty good reason . "Insurance Boy" cant tell if the forks are bent , neither can I , till I've taken them apart and rolled them stanchion tubes across a thick piece of glass(or similar flat surface) .
One rotor is draggin' . Is it the rotor,the caliper,the wheel,the leg,the stanchion.... did his estimate include the price of one stanchion,1 fork seal,1 gaitor,some 10 or 15oil,etc etc. If it was me NC...I'd wanna know for sure . I'd wanna know that just the rotor took a lick...even thou its pretty well protected by the wheel .

His first offer was for this...I'd counter offer him with that... based on whatever you can come up with .
Tell him the bill for clearing the frame alone is gonna be(mucho $ monies) you know...to chec it for straightness .

I'd price out everything you think yer gonna need to put it right...new prices...not used crud....then add 25% for incidentals....figure out labour,then tripple that(you know shops) and hit him with a counter offer .

Just me..."Paranoid Rubber"....l00kin' out for ya...

RSD and charlesbusa thanks for the posts. I believe I will take your advice and get an estimate from a Suzuki certified (whatever that means..guess they passed a test) repair person (don’t want to be gender biased). I am a fairly competent wrench head from my teens. However I don’t have the super duper gyro-lazer-frame checker thingy in my garage so I go to a “proâ€. Problem is no one around here does either. We have a Harley Yamaha shop and a Kawi dealership (who’s tech is Suzuki certified..go figure). The Yamaha guy has been at it FOREVER and his approach works most of the time. He tends to do the “old mechanic thing†which is to make something run and ride from point A to point B. He is not exactly a “welcome to the 21 century†type of person (which is fine when you own a pan head but not for a busa). The kawi dude knows EVERYTHING and is a wise age of what, 22 or something. I wouldn’t trust him to hem my inseam much less work on my ride. The place where I bought the bike their “mechanic†dropped the dam thing against a moped in the showroom 5 minutes after I signed the papers.

God I hope dezzy7 knows some good people in Raleigh. At any rate, that leaves me trailering the bike for hours just to get an estimate. I’m scared that if they don’t have good equipment they will take RSD’s route (rolling on a flat surface. Kind of like a pool cue on a pool table). That will instantly cause the incurrence of more shop fees.

Thanks for the all the advice and comments. Comments still welcome.

Pieces of advice from me.

Don’t follow your sudden stupid riding urges and you might avoid all of this bad karma and hassles.
Ride for fun but be safe.
Remember what you ride and what it is capable of doing.
Remember when you are riding that there is a time and place for everything, and that time and place might not be right now. Chris

Back