RIDER DOWN, Crashed the busa Fri 13th

Thanks for the comments. Anyone have any ideas about my exhaust pipe question above.

Please keep the comments comming. They are helping out and I am much appreciative. Chris

Thanks for the comments.  Anyone have any ideas about my exhaust pipe question above.  

Please keep the comments comming.  They are helping out and I am much appreciative.  Chris
dont even think about it....insurance has you covered right.
Dont start tinkering with it....let the shop do it . The pipes, what do you want a bent , then later straightened out pipe for . Get a new one . Once metal has been bent a few times its integrity will have been comprimised . Sure ,it wont fail today,maybe not tomorrow either , but one day it could pop right thru one of those crappy seams . I say crappy, 'cause they were crappy before yer mishap.

Let the shop/insurance thing play out . Some of the dudes on here...me included think you should just have it written off.
If you decide to go the other way.....be carefull .
Let the pro's do it .
Unless you have frame straighting lazer equipment in yer basement.....
I'd let the pro's have a go at it first .

Have a good night........RSD

seriously man....dont even go there . Dont even think about askin the the insurance guy if that pipe can be straightened out using a "Barbara Mandrell" bender , or blender , or what-ever-the-fug you wanna call it . Look at it man....

It's toast .

post_6_50083_busawreckrearview.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
by the way dude.....is this yer backyard...or do you live in the neighbourhood park . I see a street sign in the background , but that doesn't look like road leading up to it.
It looks like(the sign) says right turn only . Right turn to where . This looks like a field that gets used ocasionally for a little baseball .
Anyways....have a good one....RSD.

post_6_50083_busawreckrearview.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow glad your in 1 piece! Busa looks not too bad considering... now what about the wake boarding?

RSD, Thanks for the exhaust tip. I was worried that the insurance guy would show up and “convince†me that it could be bent back. I looked a little closer and noticed that the flange at the bolt on is warped. The specs don’t show any part numbers for replacement individual pipes. There is no “mid pipe†to speak of so am I to assume that the whole exhaust header pipes have to be replaced as one unit? If that is the case I can’t imagine how expensive the OEM parts are. I’m dying to check the part numbers with the dealer. Maybe the replacement/labor cost would cover a yosh full exhaust. That would be nice.

As for the yard, well, that is part of my front yard and I haven’t been able to mow due to my misfortune. I live on a curve that is just lower than the landscape (hence out of view). Trust me centipede is a pain getting started in sand. Everything around here was underwater a while back and sand is the only base material. Makes riding kind of,…,interesting at times around most corners.

And yes, the kids love playing baseball in my back yard. I also have a 125 meter shooting range that I had built a few years ago. Had a huge loader build a 3 sided berm (like 12 feet high) and flatten out a 25 meter pistol range. I have active targets, stationary targets, pepper poppers and stands for large paper targets. Then there’s the skeet thrower and rifle bench close to my deck. Can you believe that I have 6 neighbors within a 1/10 mile radius, and no they don’t hate me. Cool people. ATV’s, Motorcycles, loud rock guitar, drums, shooting, and one LOUD 68 firebird, all in all I am fortunate to have such tolerant people. My 72 year old next door neighbor still rides an old Honda GS 500, though funny he’s never asked to ride with us.

Thanks for the posts and commentary. Chris

So gald to hear you are OK!

In the picture above from the back of the bike, The back end looks off center. It may be just an optical thing or your subframe is bent to the left side. Do you see the way the seat and tail dont center up on the tank? Have them check out the frame for straightness and then the subframe for cracks and bends. Something is not right there. Lets hope its not the frame if you intend to keep it.

First things first any crash you walk away from is a good thing I'm glad you arre going to be ok.If you have the gear wear it it will help.Speedy recovery dude.

RSD, Thanks for the exhaust tip.  I was worried that the insurance guy would show up and “convinceâ€￾ me that it could be bent back.  I looked a little closer and noticed that the flange at the bolt on is warped.  The specs don’t show any part numbers for replacement individual pipes.  There is no “mid pipeâ€￾ to speak of so am I to assume that the whole exhaust header pipes have to be replaced as one unit?  
You are correct my "banged up buddy" , the exhaust is one really big unit , (actually 2) , a piece does come off the left side, its just a little short piece , it can be removed to facilitate easier removal of the whole system . The things a real bastid to get off thou , the exhaust changes I've done ,I've never bothered to try an split the pipe at these types of connections , there always rusty an' crusty usually.

By the sounds of yer last post , you have got yerself one awesome set up .

Have a good day man.....speedy recovery .
biggrin.gif

Remember this, bikes and cars are totally different to insurance companies. Most companies will try their best to repair an automobile but will try to total a bike. The reason being, if a wheel flies off a car at 30 there's a good chance the driver will be able to safely stop, not the case on a bike. If they decide not to total your Busa they will REPLACE every bent, broken or scratched part. It's very helpful to have a shop owner you can trust. Now depending on how particular you are with your bike, this means you can either a) fix it to pre-crash specs, b) just fix what's unusable, live with some scratched or bent pieces, and pocket the rest, or c) just get your check, part the rest of the bike out, and buy a brand new one with money to spare. The choice is yours, and by the way, if you decide on "c" I got first dibs on the motor.
wink.gif

Hey NC,
glad you made it out intact.
you need to take the bike to a reliable dealer & have them do a detailed estimate w/ a list for every part damaged & also the labor involved to repair it. dont take any crap from insurance people, every part damaged needs to be replaced.
judging from the photos im guessing itll be a total (hopefully) i can see at least 4 gs in damage & labor not to mention the stuff thats not obvious like fork tubes, rotors, frame, swingarm, & any bearings (headstem & swingarm) rims, axles, triple clamps etc...
once you add up the parts & labor you could by 2 bikes.
good luck & let us know what happens & who the insurance co. was.
Pete

firedevil.gif
if they do total it & your confident that the engines ok you should try to by it back from the insurance co. before they ship it to salvage or auction. part it out esp. the motor im always getting people asking me where they can find an engine for sand rails, hill climbers & custom bikes & i always tell them to check flEa-bay.

Thanks for all the info. I didn't know that about car repair vs bike repair. I was afraid that the adjuster would take the "bend it back" attitude. I have a detailed parts schematic and have all of the needed part numbers. I'm going to call around on monday and price out all the parts. That way on Tuesday when the adjuster looks at the bike I will be armed with the replacement parts cost.

However, do you have any idea how to estimate labor costs?
If I come up with a replacement parts cost totals is it some precentage of that total or does it revolve around the number of parts?
If they "total" it how much would they pay me (any ideas those of you who have been there) and how much would it cost me to "buy" it back?

Again thank you all for all of the wonderful info. Chris

mate im sorry to hear that,nother busa down in 2 weeks man
sad.gif

glad to hear ur ok tho,insurance wont pay out alot you kno what there like,hope you sort sommin out tho mate,you got the group of us here backin ya, so i hope all goes well for ya.

Thanks for all the info.  I didn't know that about car repair vs bike repair.  I was afraid that the adjuster would take the "bend it back" attitude.  I have a detailed parts schematic and have all of the needed part numbers.  I'm going to call around on monday and price out all the parts.  That way on Tuesday when the adjuster looks at the bike I will be armed with the replacement parts cost.  

However, do you have any idea how to estimate labor costs?
If I come up with a replacement parts cost totals is it some precentage of that total or does it revolve around the number of parts?  
If they "total" it how much would they pay me (any ideas those of you who have been there) and how much would it cost me to "buy" it back?  

Again thank you all for all of the wonderful info.  Chris
dealerships or more specifically service departments have flat rate manuals that give bike specific info on how much to charge customers & how much to pay mechanics which are very detailed for every part or job (ex. replacing a clutch may cost or pay 1 hr.) once they assess the damage they break it down & look up everything that needs to be repaired. thats why i strongly suggest taking your machine in to the people who do this everyday & know of all the small but exspensive damage things to look for. you want to find a good mechanic or service manager to do this not some rookie hack. usually the estimate is paid for by the insurance company & if not get a price for an estimate from the shop most of the time its between .5 to 1.0 hr of shop rate which is worth it esp. if you find something you overlooked after the settlement.
firedevil.gif

Pete

buying it back is something you just have to feel out sometimes theyll tell you what they want for it & wont budge other times they will take an offer dont get to greedy though some salvage yards will give a pretty penny because they know they can part them for a little less than new parts do some research for motors especially.
firedevil.gif

good to see your worried about the bike, the busa always comes first
tounge.gif

when my girlfriend sat on my bike and fell over with it, it got a scratched mirror cover, broke the brake handle, scratched the left side eng cowling, scratched the front fender, scratched the muffler and bent the exhaust bracket. The bike wasn't even moving and it ran up to $2100.00. Yours will probably total..................Two things you can do, save money fix it yourself and wonder if its still solid or take the money pay it off and get a new one and use the old one for your next crash. It can happen again.

Back