Ride Video w/the GoProHD..

HillbillyTom

Donating Member
Registered
Got some vids with the new camera the other day, so thought I'd post one.
Took it in 720P 60fps, file is too big without editing to go on Vimeo, and YouTube takes some out of even the raw MP4 file. Next ones I do, I'll use 30fps to see if it makes noticeable differenc + or -, and how much that will reduce the file size (maybe enough to fit in Vimeo's 500mb limit).
Got some requests on some of the others I've posted for "unobstructed view", so..
[/MEDIA]

How's the vid quality on your screens? In full screen on my 24", it looks a little grainy compared to the original. Also looks to loose a little quality over a certain road speed. My dirt videos are quite a bit clearer with all other things being equal.
I'm open to any suggestions from the video folks on how to make 'em better.

Last edited by a moderator:
unless you do slo-mo there is no visual difference between 60 and 30 fps

I think it looks pretty good. What r value did you use? I started out with r3 and then moved to r2. Much smaller file sizes. Not jacking your thread bro, but here is an r2 video, what does it look like to you? Any differences in quality?

Mt Scott Ride on Vimeo

I was using r3 too. I'll go with the r2 for the next batch, hopefully drop the file size down some.
Tried editing one with Movie Maker Live, doubled the YouTube degradation. And once again, MM Live works great for editing dirt videos. Going to have to find something different for street videos I guess.

Last edited:
I was using r3 too. I'll go with the r2 for the next batch, hopefully drop the file size down some.
Tried editing one with Movie Maker Live, doubled the YouTube degradation. And once again, MM Live works great for editing dirt videos. Will look into the avs4you that you used too. Don't want anything fancy for editing, just trimming for size and removing unneeded sections.

Tom, I use WMM for editing, I have to use the avsfyou because I have to convert the video into a format that WMM will recongize. If you have MML, then are you running Windows7? You dont need to convert your video, just something to edit with. Am I off base bro?

Yes I have Windows 7. MML accepts the MP4 file just fine, and converts it to a WMV file. Seems to be the only file conversion choice it offers, and no option for NOT converting it. But the converted WMV file is about 35%-40% smaller than the MP4.
Yup, just need to trim and shorten usually, unless I'm trying to slide one under Vimeo's 500mb size limit.

Yes I have Windows 7. MML accepts the MP4 file just fine, and converts it to a WMV file. Seems to be the only file conversion choice it offers, and no option for NOT converting it. But the converted WMV file is about 35%-40% smaller than the MP4.
Yup, just need to trim and shorten usually, unless I'm trying to slide one under Vimeo's 500mb size limit.

Cool, I thought I was on the same page with you, just wanted to make sure. So even if I had window7, and used WML, it would still be converted? I think I will stick with XP and just buy the avs4you converter. :laugh:

Most of the converters also lose image quality as they convert....

SO IN ORDER TO GET YOUR MONEYS WORTH OUT OF IT HOW DO YOU OR WHERE DO YOU GO TO UPLOAD THE FULL HIGH QUALITY HD MOVIE YOU ARE SHOOTING ?
Can this not be done ?
Can you not post a HD perfect quality vid here ?
All of you seem to be talking about 'converting' in one way or another .
WHY ?
I want one but its not sounding as easy as a Sony Handi Cam as far as the files go ?
Dont want to buy camera and then have to buy 100 dollar program or whatever to convert it ?

HillBilly your movie looks fine to me.
I watched it in 720 on youtube.
Seemed fine.

SO IN ORDER TO GET YOUR MONEYS WORTH OUT OF IT HOW DO YOU OR WHERE DO YOU GO TO UPLOAD THE FULL HIGH QUALITY HD MOVIE YOU ARE SHOOTING ?
Can this not be done ?
WHY ?
I want one but its not sounding as easy as a Sony Handi Cam as far as the files go ?
Dont want to buy camera and then have to buy 100 dollar program or whatever to convert it ?

Seemed fine.

Well, even if you can't upload it to the web in full HD, you can still watch it on your TV in full HD. It comes with component cables and you can also play them from a usb drive plugged into the TV (if you have a usb port on your TV). If not, you can add old videos back onto the camera to watch them on the TV again. So it's still worth it regardless of whether or not you can upload them to the web in full HD.

Can this not be done ?
WHY ?

Seemed fine.

They don't HAVE to be converted to another file. The vid I posted is the raw MP4 file, straight from the camera. I'm needing to convert them for file size considerations, and the fact that the edit program I'm using does it automatically.
File size so far has been part of the problem for me (the reason I'm going to use 30fps instead of 60fps for the next batch of vids), the vid I posted is 948MB in size. Vimeo for example, has a 500MB maximun you can upload per week, unless you pay $60 per year for the + version.
Longer Hi Def videos, no matter what camera or format you use, are going to experience this problem.
YouTube doesn't have any file size restrictions, but does have a 10 minute limit on anything you upload. So your back to editing (and in my case of MM Live converting to a WMV format) to get your vids to fit into the 10 minute time frame.
This is the first time I've used the GPHD and am in a learning mode with it. Still got a lot to figure out and try yet.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back