Richard Hammond And Hayabusa Seat Height

alan22

Registered
Does anyone know how Richard Hammond or any other below or average height rider safely reaches the ground to control the massive weight of these bikes?

Alan,
Welcome! There are a couple of methods of lowering a Hayabusa mechanically. Lowering links are available that can be used to lower the rear of the bike while the position of the forks within the triple clamps can also be adjusted to lower the front.

Many members have cut the seat pads or have purchased aftermarket seats than can lower the riding position by an inch or so, and also help by narrowing the seat so that the rider's legs are bowed out less.

It must be understood that changing the geometry of the bike does change the handling somewhat-

So, now- how tall are you?

All you need is one tip toe down at stop lights.
You can jump off and walk it back if need be.
C10 will post here soon I'm sure.
He says he's 5'1", and I think his Busa is raised an inch, so he can give you the best 1st hand info.
I'm 5'10" and flat foot most sport bikes when seated. But some dirt and street dirt bikes put me on one foot or tiptoes.
It all really comes down to what YOU the rider are personally comfortable with. Because once the bike is moving, it really doesn't matter.
As said above, once you lower the bike in any way, you affect the handling in a negative way.
Best thing you can do is set the suspension sag for you, your weight (spring change if need be ), and learn to ride it as is.
You'll be happier in the long run

Reactions: c10
I had my Busa lowered, then cut the seat.....realistically, both weren't needed, but now it's what I'm used to and it keeps the guys off of my baby ;)

I'm 5'6" and flat foot it just fine after the mods...mine is the silver/gray '03, with the pink accents thanks to some guys here :rolleyes:

3Busas.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are a few pics . My bird is just about .25 " taller out back than stock from the 190/55 rear tire over 50 series oem model .
I'm 5 ' 1" @ 142 to 144 pounds avg . My left leg is 1.25" shorter than my right leg due to a accident many years ago . You can do anything you put your mind/heart/soul into . Lowering a bike makes it useless in my opinion for any serious corner carving . Dont be shy about moving the bike by hand in the parking lot because you cant walk it while seated like taller folks do . Practice moving it , work out to make sure you are strong enough to handle it . Cutting down the seat = more knee bend ( not good for long haul tours ) but its what the masses do generally .
My 2012 FJR 1300 was .5" taller than OEM with the aftermarket rear shock / upgraded internals in forks . She was a beast @ 650 pounds stock .
Trimmed down to 590 before I moved onto the hayabusa .
20161004_130556_zpsgbccdxgl.jpg
20160515_063300_zpsszunhkvi.jpg
20160409_143609_zpsgyktcd6k.jpg

Back