Rev Limiter

Bike382

Registered
Does anyone have any ideas how high you can run the rpms on a stock bike and not tank the motor?

Can you bypass the rev limiter without buying one of the aftermarket chips?

Just curious.

I'm no engine expert so this all comes with a pinch of salt.

At my local dealer there was a Busa with a torn down engine. It was in sorry shape because the owner had over-revved the engine and floated the valves. Meaning the valves didn't pull back up fast enough to avoid being hit by the piston. So I'd say it is possible to over-rev the engine and damage it -- even without changing the rev-limiter.

The only way to hurt a modern bike engine by over reving it, is IF the valve springs are weak. Maybe 1 with alot of miles.
These bikes are built for "Joe Public", and are built so that Ol "Joe" can't mess it up, easily.
There is a company in Europe that will modify your ECU to rev 500 rpms higher than stock, for a Hayabusa.
They work WELL!
The cost is about $500

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. I am running the Carpenter 210 HP mod and it includes upgraded vavle springs, so I may squeek an extra 1-2K rpms out of this baby at the track.

Thanks again :beerchug:

what about a completely stock haya? i've seen that the revs go into the 'red' zone. how bad is this? I mean, i am still learning the bike and it rises rpms so fast that it gets into the reds before i notice...

I do the mod to the ECU's that allow 660 extra rpms on the 99-01 busa. And as of today I think I might be the only one in the world to successfully raise the limit on oa 02-04. I can tell you 780 extra rpm causes the bike to do funny stuff but I got the 300+rpm mod to work well. I will try 600 next week on a new one. A suprising side effect of what I am doing is a gain in midrange Hp. We have seen as much as 7 Hp gainfrom 3000 to 9000. Don't pay $500 for this mod. I do it for $249 check out my web page for contact info, or I will check back here

Sorry back to the origional question. Safe is a relative term. Anytime you bang a bike off the rev limiter you cause huge stress on the crank. Keep it off the rev limiter on small motors, and you will be fine. 1397's loves this mod.

Back