rev limiter

bigbusabigbusa

Registered
doing motor work this winter. 1441 with cams 08 crank. was thinking about upping my rev limit with the ecm . i read on the thing i believe boost by smith makes. how far can i safely go with the limiter? 11000 11500 11750 12000. thanks

doing motor work this winter. 1441 with cams 08 crank. was thinking about upping my rev limit with the ecm . i read on the thing i believe boost by smith makes. how far can i safely go with the limiter? 11000 11500 11750 12000. thanks

I think the safe limit is the one it comes with from the box :poke: :laugh:

sorry couldn't resist:rofl:

doing
motor work this winter. 1441 with cams 08 crank. was thinking about upping my rev limit with the ecm . i read on the thing i believe boost by smith makes. how far can i safely go with the limiter? 11000 11500 11750 12000. thanks

its called ecu edit and its the most accurate(and cheapest) way to tune a busa out there!boostbysmith sells everything u need to use it for around $180 and even gives u a free shift light to sweeten the deal. theres prolly even a map to get u started with a similiar setup. you should set your rev limit after u dyno to figure out where your going to be shifting and put it a few hundred rpms above that. I've got my shift light set to 10200 and my rev limit set to 11200 just to give me a little over rev. I used to bump it by accident in 1st gear sometimes whe it was at stock limit....havent bumped it by accident since i raised it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Really in my opinion the only way to figure that out is to have a go on a dyno. If the hp and tq pulls strong all the way through, then there would be a reason to extend the rev limiter. If the hp and tq peak and start to fall off at 10000 or 11000, then there is absolutely no reason to extend the rev limiter.

Really in my opinion the only way to figure that out is to have a go on a dyno. If the hp and tq pulls strong all the way through, then there would be a reason to extend the rev limiter. If the hp and tq peak and start to fall off at 10000 or 11000, then there is absolutely no reason to extend the rev limiter.

nuff said:whistle:

changing your cams can alter what rpm the motor will now go to. but run the bike on the dyno to see where your peak HP drops off at.

+1 no reason to spin an engine to far where the cams fall off. Another good benefit with the ecu editor is how the limiter works. You can get rid of the trouble some "soft limiter" and only have the hard limiter. :beerchug:

Not an expert, but I think knowing where the bike peaks is important, but it's also important to know what the head can take.

thanks for the replies. good info. just wanted to be sure i wasnt going to hurt anything. i understand the part about only needing what the motor pulls. if i quit making power at 10500 then i dont need 12000 limiter. i wanted to know what the stock head and valve train could safely take if i made power till 11500 can it do it safely. thank you

Back