Retirement Location Recommendations?

GNBRETT

Registered
I plan on retiring in about 5 years at the age of 45 and was wondering what you guys thought about different areas around the country to move to. I have little plans to find another job so the job market doesnt play a role in my decision where to live. just wondering wat peoples thoughts were on different areas around the country if they could just get up and go. im not married and I have no children.

I do like to ski and fish but I also like the warmer weather for the motorcycle. there just seems to be some many places down south where one can live like a king for half of what it cost to live in New England or out in Cali.

I would say Savahanna GA, Ashville, NC or Gatlinburg, TN. All have a great cost of living, mountains for skiing, good lakes for fishing and a long summer for motorcycle riding with a great cost of living and low property taxes.

I like southern New Mexico because it's warm all year. Las Cruces was voted the best place to retire in 2006. The weather is really hot in the summer, but it's dry heat.

Las Cruces, NM
Official Website - City of Las Cruces
Las Cruces, New Mexico facts & figures
Money Magazine: Best places to retire 2006: Las Cruces, NM snapshot

New Mexico Travel and Vacation Planning Guide to Lodging, Recreation, Events and Attractions
New Mexico Travel and Vacation Planning Guide to Lodging, Recreation, Events & Attractions

New Mexico's Online Angling Community
Home - Fish Enchantment - New Mexico's Online Angling Community

I like southern New Mexico because it's warm all year. Las Cruces was voted the best place to retire in 2006. The weather is really hot in the summer, but it's dry heat.

That expression always makes me laugh. Dry or not, 110 degrees is damn hot :laugh:

That said, I do like NM a lot, although I prefer the high lands in the north of the state. A lot more good riding roads than down south, and a lot closer to other states with great riding and fishing :thumbsup:

i would buy a truck and toy hauler, load the Busa, fishing poles, and skis in the back, and spend a couple years touring the US...check out the various places around the country and see where i liked it best before i settled down

Phoenix for the fall, winter, spring, then somewhere else for the four months of stupid hot weather

Phoenix for the fall, winter, spring, then somewhere else for the four months of stupid hot weather

I agree.. Phoenix is great.. I am dure to retire in 5 years so this is pretty much where I'll be staying. Plus there are plenty of mountains around to enjoy all of your activities.. to include the bike! :laugh:

I agree.. Phoenix is great.. I am dure to retire in 5 years so this is pretty much where I'll be staying. Plus there are plenty of mountains around to enjoy all of your activities.. to include the bike! :laugh:

Lets put it this way. If u wanna see snow, drive two hours north, wanna go to the beach, drive 5 hours west, u wanna go to vegas, five hours north. Wanna ride some great roads just ride any direction. Arizona is such a diverse ecosystems and some of the most beautiful country u have ever seen. If u wanna come out and visit we could show.u some cool places

good info. I grew up in south Florida so that is an unlikely place for me to go but the Orlando area seems like it has a lot to offer. beach near by, local race track, the parks obviously, lots of places to eat, cheap housing, no state income tax. I do like the south west to tho. Utah certainly isnt out of the question either. what are the home prices in Utah? man the skiing is worth moving there alone.

I'm already just a few miles from where I'll retire. Little town called Forsyth, about 35 miles south of where I'm at now. Dirt cheap living expenses, 3 lakes and 2 rivers within just a few miles. S.W. Mo/N.W. Ark twisties right out of the driveway. Dirt bike use area (if I'm still able to do that) closer than it is to me now. Hiking/mtn biking trails everywhere. Places to go, things to do. Plenty of tourist traps for old guy summer jobs. Everything that I enjoy doing is right here.:thumbsup:

I would say one of my biggest concerns is affordable housing. anywhere down south seems to fit that bill but some places just seem to be Africa hot in the summer. here its just too dam cold to do anything 5 months out of the year. I dont want to move somewhere that its too hot to leave the house for 5 months out of the year either.

Just remember Orlando is tourist hell...I have a friend that lives there that is moving because it was just a bit too family oriented for him. He's single, younger than you but similar situation. Housing market apparently was moving quickly down there now but who knows in 5yrs.

I'd say western/central NC for cost of living/access/riding/etc if you are looking on the east coast. If you look out west, NM, northern AZ or southern Utah are good. Cant really go too wrong with Austin Tx :thumbsup:

We left VA beach and moved to TN, picked up a 10acs with a stream fead pond, deep well and septic system for $15k Its nice but it takes 45mins to the nearest walmart, kind of a pain some times when you need stuff. But I think its worth it.

where I live now is just too far from civilization so I not moving somewhere that I have to travel 40 minutes to get anywhere. that gets old fast. a place like Orlando does have a lot of congestion and thats something I have to take into consideration. I may just move somewhere and rent for a year to see if I like a particular area then buy.

Tenn is where my parents are and you can live like a fat cat down there and there is great fishing, racing, beauty (smokey mountains at least), no state income tax and pretty good weather. all I know is this part of the country is a great place to earn but a terrible place to retire to. they tax the chit outta you and the cost of living is just outreageous! and the weather sux!

yup, I can relate, I'm just across the sound from you on the east end of Long Island

Go south or west, but gotta be careful with the renting, perhaps look for corporate apartments so you can move around the city some and get a feel for the different areas. Just a thought

If u want to rent down here and phoenix my wife does apartment rentals and house rentals for the valleys largest locating company so she can hook u up

Back