Resurrecting an 01

NiteRunnr

Registered
My beautiful, clean 01 has been in long term storage last six years.
My bud was supposed to ride it, but he ended up out of the country as well.
Obviously she needs some TLC and freshening up.
Put on new tires, chain/sprockets two years ago.
Planning new oil, filter, spark plugs, coolant, maybe a throttle body sync?
When I hopped on she started bogging down, or so I thought. Turned out to be front brakes contaminated/binding. Flushed whole system, removed cleaned pistons.
Took her for a rip (big smiles) and she ran smooth, then rough and almost quit, (didn’t think I’d get home).
Added fresh gas, no change.
Stored in Florida, so I’m concerned about rust in the tank.
Hard to get a flashlight in there, but didn’t look too bad.
Found a similar post (yes I will search) that suggested maybe new fuel pump and hoses?

Some old mods that might need addressing;
Full Yosh race, single pipe
Incomplete airbox flapper mod, (didn’t seal the vacuum hole)
Old Power Commander II with serial port. Green LED was lit, but who knows if the map is still loaded, (unplugged for now)

Figure I’ll do as much as I can to save $$ and then get her tuned to former glory.

Comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Again, I’ll be using the search function, but I really want to know the big items and if my mods need updating to better options. I’ve had her since new and consider the cost over time a bargain.

4523F257-C00A-42AC-ADFC-B22E264D7F6A.jpeg

B0F0FA50-7FC3-4B12-820B-5E8E3E7FE985.jpeg

Welcome from Fontana! Wanna ride?

Certainly take a look at the fueling system components.
Didn't the Gen 1's have some fuel pump quirks? Others here will know.
I would not be surprised if that bike is now worth more than you paid for it

Nice Vee you got there. Picked one up last month

IMG_3917.JPG

[EDIT] I'd ditch the PC and get a flash tune

Last edited:
Replace fuel filter and get injectors cleaned. Injectors are know to have issues sitting.

Thanks, will add to list.

Welcome from Fontana! Wanna ride?

Certainly take a look at the fueling system components.
Didn't the Gen 1's have some fuel pump quirks? Others here will know.
I would not be surprised if that bike is now worth more than you paid for it

Nice Vee you got there. Picked one up last month
I'd ditch the PC and get a flash tune

Thanks.
You’re in a premo spot I must say, lots of options. Rode ACH Saturday on my Super Tenere.
Love my Wee, but it’s non ABS and I wanted something more comfy to intice the Missus. Strom is a bullet proof bike!
Didn’t know about flash tune, so I’ll look into that.
And yes, it’s not quite more, but I think I figured the cost at $50/yr not including maintenance and inflation.

Ya picked a great scoot for this area!

Hopefully someone can chime in on the flapper mod and it’s value or if I should return to stock. The unsealed vacuum is likely an issue.
I’ll be searching other good mods for this year.

Thanks to all for input, pos or neg

Hmm, i guess the Busa forums aren’t too popular these days. I figured someone would chime in with a link or something helpful, (not including “both” suggestions).
Do I custom dyno tune the bike for smooth performance or will the flash suffice? When i brought her home years ago, i thought I wanted the most speed possible. Even if I decide to track her, I’d rather go with smooth reliable power. Hopefully someone can share the latest way to accomplish that.

Hmm, i guess the Busa forums aren’t too popular these days. I figured someone would chime in with a link or something helpful, (not including “both” suggestions).
Do I custom dyno tune the bike for smooth performance or will the flash suffice? When i brought her home years ago, i thought I wanted the most speed possible. Even if I decide to track her, I’d rather go with smooth reliable power. Hopefully someone can share the latest way to accomplish that.
Search "gen 1 airbox mod" that would be your best bet.

I have a gen 2 so any advice I'd give is not useful in this dept.

Do I custom dyno tune the bike for smooth performance or will the flash suffice? ...I’d rather go with smooth reliable power. Hopefully someone can share the latest way to accomplish that.

If you have the opportunity then get it tuned on a dyno. To respond to your question, the bike can be dyno tuned via flashing the ECU OR via an external fuel controller like a PC. Which method to use may best be answered by what the tuner prefers and is comfortable with.

Separately from tuning the fuel, flashing the ECU can enable/disable functions, like removing the 186mph speed limit. A tuner that flashes the ECU can do both, change functionality as well as alter the fuel maps in the ECU.

Depending on how you go, whether the PCii can be used (is the software supported by the latest dyno and is there a serial to USB converter?) may be answered by the tuner.

If you want it to perform well and be correct (no lean spots, no rich spots, etc.) it would not be particularly beneficial to rely on a stock PC map.

If you have the opportunity then get it tuned on a dyno. To respond to your question, the bike can be dyno tuned via flashing the ECU OR via an external fuel controller like a PC. Which method to use may best be answered by what the tuner prefers and is comfortable with.

Separately from tuning the fuel, flashing the ECU can enable/disable functions, like removing the 186mph speed limit. A tuner that flashes the ECU can do both, change functionality as well as alter the fuel maps in the ECU.

Depending on how you go, whether the PCii can be used (is the software supported by the latest dyno and is there a serial to USB converter?) may be answered by the tuner. It would not be beneficial if you want it to perform well to rely on a stock PC map.

Because it's an '01, he has to be careful as to what month it was made as some '01s had the '99/'00 ECU in them.

If you have the opportunity then get it tuned on a dyno.
I reached out to a recommended local tuner who told me they don’t work on +10yr old bikes :/ (Attack Performance)
I’m in Orange Country California if anyone knows another good tuner.

Because it's an '01, he has to be careful as to what month it was made as some '01s had the '99/'00 ECU in them.
October 2000

i have a power commander that was from a 99/01 and that would be very specific for the year / model. it’s the middle of the night in Australia, i’ll get some numbers of it tommow. , it was a turbo ed 99 bike i bought —- with a rod having left the building

@NiteRunnr first things first. I would get it running well first before taking it to a tuner. Unless your choosing a shop that will do the necessary work before attempting any tuning. Throwing a bike on a dyno that isn't running mint accomplishes nothing.
Guessing you drained the tank.
The flapper mod is no biggie. If its the small box mod,put it back if ya want. If its the big mod and you cut a hole,there's no fixing that,but again,no biggie. You mentioned the hose (air leak) put it back or plug it.
Unplug the PowerCo for now. They are more hassle than they are worth and sometimes contribute to a krappy running motor,as you diagnose issues. Take the fuel tank off,tape a coffee filter across the fill hole and shake the krap out of it. Look at the filter or paper towel to determine how much crud is in the tank. @Mathewrussell52 is correct and very smart. The worlds best fuel stabilizer wont save yer bacon after 6 years. Yer pump and injectors will need cleaning. You've already found out what sitting does to a bike (seized front cali's/master) possibly not 100% rear brake and clutch functionality as well.
A full tune/clean up is needed. You can go with a shop but you mentioned budget. Get those things off the list,then get back to us re: a walkthru for your box mod (need pics or full discript as to whats been done) and options for the rusty tank if necessary. There are shops that will charge you 10 or 20 bucks per injector to clean them. It demands replacement of the o-rings...dont cheap out and use chinese,get Zook OEM the size is kind of important. Go step by step by the manual for cleaning the pump,or qwik and fast,replace it.
Like was mentioned,getting it running right,then go chase yer 5 extra horse.
Rubb.

Any one near you with a 01 to 07 Busa that you can try there tank and pump?

Back