Restarting problem solved: Changed to 4 gauge wire (with pics)

Quicker Gixxer

Registered
In another thread I posted that I had a problem restarting my 01 Busa after short rides. It would struggle to turn over and seem like a weak battery...until I let it sit for a while and then it would fire right up. My load testing showed it was a good battery..and charging fine, so I decided to go with larger wires to allow a little more juice..before spending the $$$ on a bigger battery. So far it's working fine after a little riding around and testing my re-starts. It's pretty cool out right now...so I'll have to see if it holds up and keeps working in the heat. I spent about $30 on 6' wire, 6 heavy duty copper connectors and shrink tape. You'll need 3 sections of the wire. From the battery to the starter relay (covered by the cap)..from the relay to the starter and from the battery ground to the motor ground next to the starter. I got everything at O'reilly Auto Parts...took me a couple hours (I'm slow...but tried to do it perfectly the first time).

I saw someone asking for pics from another thread so I figured I'd post these up for anyone attempting it. Everything was straightforward...and the removing and replacing the plastic cap over the larger wires and connectors wasn't a big deal.

Thanks for the advice and tips...all help is appreciated.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

My brothers 06 is doing the same thing....actually has done it since he has had it. I may do this to his bike and see if it helps. Like you said...the battery is good on his as well. When he rides and stops to get gas...it wont start up and he has to wait.

I may also do this to my 1441 to see if it helps it....if not I get another battery for it.

Ive got a harness that i am testing out that using a single relay and 10 gauge wire to run a 24v starter. it all keys off the starter button and only the starter sees the 24v. When the starter is not in operation, the 2 batteries run in parallel.

My brothers 06 is doing the same thing....actually has done it since he has had it. I may do this to his bike and see if it helps. Like you said...the battery is good on his as well. When he rides and stops to get gas...it wont start up and he has to wait.

I may also do this to my 1441 to see if it helps it....if not I get another battery for it.

That was what I figured...spend a few bucks and see if it works before spending more on a new battery. Tell your brother to try pushing a bit while in gear (just compressing the forks basically) before he starts it...that worked for me, but I'm not sure why. I'm assuming the motor is just really tight (when hot) and a little movement loosens it up some and takes less juice to turn over. It's not a fix...but it kept me from being stranded while waiting for it to cool off, or the embarrassment of having to push it off....until I did fix it.

There is a chance there was nothing wrong with the original wires. However, you could've had a poor contact area. When the bike gets hot, the connection worsens.

It would be interesting if someone with similar problem unscrews the wires, cleans the connectors, and tightens again - see if that helps.

There is a chance there was nothing wrong with the original wires. However, you could've had a poor contact area. When the bike gets hot, the connection worsens.

It would be interesting if someone with similar problem unscrews the wires, cleans the connectors, and tightens again - see if that helps.

The wire may have also had some internal breakage,same for your brothers 06 Bluehaya.

My 04 gave me HUGE fits of failing to crank while hot, I found the solution for me was to simply crack open the throttle slightly. Good battery, plenty of amps/voltage, found with the engine hot and tight, the extra resistance of zero air flow made the "air pump" a little too much for the starter. Simply allow the engine to pump some air lower the resistance MORE than enough to easily start again. Give it a try.

My 04 gave me HUGE fits of failing to crank while hot, I found the solution for me was to simply crack open the throttle slightly. Good battery, plenty of amps/voltage, found with the engine hot and tight, the extra resistance of zero air flow made the "air pump" a little too much for the starter. Simply allow the engine to pump some air lower the resistance MORE than enough to easily start again. Give it a try.

is problem fixed?

As a tech of V-twins I've always wonder how the high compression Busa engines could benefit from compression releases upon startup.

Nice job on the wires. I'm was planning on doing that this winter when I have the motor out to bump the CR up a little.
Anytime you can use a bigger gauge wire it is all for the good.

Back