Resistors go inline?

jaschil69

Donating Member
Registered
Do the two resistors just go inline with the yellow turn signal wires for my Clear Alternatives tail light integrator?

Yes they do, but you will be disappointed. It barely slows the blink rate at all. We installed 2 of these units this week.

Don

Thanks. And, which wire is hot on the signals? Does it blink real fast without them?

<!--EDIT|jaschil69
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151724381 -->

make your own. it's a 5 minute fix. I was selling them here awhile back.
It is very easy to do with a car 2 prong flasher. $2.50 +wire,connectors and shrink tube. it is totaly plug and play. every bike I have done is back to DOT flash rate. REISTORES SUCK!

On the left side of your bike, you will find your
fuse box, on the fuse box you'll find your flasher relay pull up on it to
remove it.. Then What you will need to do, is take out the two screws that
holds the fuse box to the bracket. Flip the fuse box upside down and look
at the pins.

You'll notice, one side is missing a connector. On that same side.
The two pins above the missing connector are the ones you are going to use.

Use a small jewelers screwdriver on the top side. Press the tip of the
screwdriver on the top of each connector and slightly plug wire from the
bottom. It should a very easy. You just need to push the screwdriver just
right. Once you have both wires disconnected, you can make a wiring
harness and is plug into the flasher and in those two wires. It does not
matter which side is which.

Don't forget to reinstall your factory flasher. This controls other things.

Please check your owners manual. I take no responsibility for how you
install. This is just how I do it. Use your own judgment. Hope this
helps.

George

Thanks. And, which wire is hot on the signals? Does it blink real fast without them?
You will want to verify this on your bike, but on a 2003 and a 2005 the solid black wire was the hot wire for the blinkers. Yes it blinks fast. It slows down a little with the resistors. I have had mine since Tuesday and the fast blink rate is actually growing on my. I parked the bike down the drive way with a blinker on last nite and the rapid rate is very attention getting.

Don

I felt the same way at first...bu it got old quick. I like the dot rate better. also, you can get a ticket here in NY if they are not at the factory DOT flash speed.

<!--EDIT|rpm9001
Reason for Edit: None given...|1151725778 -->

I'll have to experiment with it a bit to see which I like better. On one side it has a black/black-white wire and a solid black. On the other side it is different. Strange. I'll have to get the test light out . Thanks for the input guys.

Do the two resistors just go inline with the yellow turn signal wires for my Clear Alternatives tail light integrator?
The resistors go in parallel with the lamps. One end of the resistor goes to 12V and the other goes to ground. You will use one resistor per side.
I have the clear alternatives and installed the supplied resistors that way. The blink rate is identical to the one with the normal lamps. No other mods are necessary. Make sure that the resistors are 5Ohms and can dissipate 25W of power. That is what I have and looks awesome.

regards
Jim

The resistors go in parallel with the lamps. One end of the resistor goes to 12V and the other goes to ground. You will use one resistor per side.
I have the clear alternatives and installed the supplied resistors that way. The blink rate is identical to the one with the normal lamps. No other mods are necessary. Make sure that the resistors are 5Ohms and can dissipate 25W of power. That is what I have and looks awesome.

regards
Jim
Ok,
Now I am a little confused. There is only 1 wire (yellow) per side on the clear alternatives unit that I have. There is no ground (I assumed it was grounded thru the 1157 plug). If you have power coming from the bike (black wire) and that is attached to the yellow wire to supply power for the turn signal (resistor between the black and yellow), how do you put the resister in parallel. The only way that I saw to do it was in series. If I get an answer back tonight I will be taking my bike apart tonight.

Don

regards
Jim
Ok,
 Now I am a little confused.  There is only 1 wire (yellow) per side on the clear alternatives unit that I have.  There is no ground (I assumed it was grounded thru the 1157 plug).  If you have power coming from the bike (black wire) and that is attached to the yellow wire to supply power for the turn signal (resistor between the black and yellow), how do you put the resister in parallel.  The only way that I saw to do it was in series.  If I get an answer back tonight I will be taking my bike apart tonight.

Don
You have PM!!!!

Anyways, in short you can use the ground from the original signal lamps. Just tie one end of the resistor to the yellow/black(if its black) combination and the other to the second (original) wire.

Beware, the resistors get warm on use.

Mine blinks perfect.

regards
jim

Back