Report Card Please....

babuski

Donating Member
Registered
Ok gentleman, the weather in chicago has finally improved and I was out all sunday riding down this road (that is usually loaded with police). I am going 60 (50 mph zone) and I hear this roaring sound like a jet was crashing (I live near Ohare airport). Turns out on my left is a Ninja 12 and on my right a ZX 6.....they passed me at about 100 miles per hour. I roll the throttle and catch up fast. Then we hit the stop light. The 12 revs his throttle (I diss the ZX 6) I nod my head in acceptance. Now, I have had this bike 3 weeks...it only has 360 miles on it, so I have to be careful a bit. Did not want to get to readline with so few miles. The 12 has yoshi pipes, fancy sprokets and some other mods. Mine is completely stock and I am worried about the police.

The light turned green and we were off.....

We were neck and neck for about a 1/4 mile until a semi started pulling out in front of us and we both tank slapped our privates. The busa seemed to have so much more in it but I was reluctant for the reasons stated above.

Given the situation, how did I do?....is this acceptable or am I an embarrassment to the busa community and this forum?

BUSA??? TANK SLAP?
rock.gif
? WHAT THE
suspect.gif
?!?!?!?!?!?!?
suspect.gif
Ive had mine for 4 years and never even had that remotely happen

suspect.gif

It's an Embarasment!!!!!

j/k

i say you did good... always watchout for obsticles on the road (like semi's cars, kids, or animals)

just a little supprised that you opened her up in the break in period.

have fun... be safe...

perhaps I used the word "tank slapped" in wrong context....

we both hit the brakes hard....

You can tell I'm an amateur.....I'm watching gauges as much as the road!!! Actually, I'm a veteran but an old one (47 years old) and haven't been on a speedy bike for a few years so I had to "take it easy". But I needed some assurances that I am not tarnishing the Busa's legendary reputation.

kickass.gif

Gave the mod'd Kawi are run for its money on a bone stock Busa! Come on guys................ I think you deserve a round of applause.........

perhaps I used the word "tank slapped" in wrong context....

we both hit the brakes hard....

You can tell I'm an amateur.....I'm watching gauges as much as the road!!!  Actually, I'm a veteran but an old one (47 years old) and haven't been on a speedy bike for a few years so I had to "take it easy".  But I needed some assurances that I am not tarnishing the Busa's legendary reputation.
I think you did OK, But I have found that the best way to beat the guys who want to test you is to smile and shake your head.  Leave it at that.  I know it sounds like pussing out but you know it's the fastest thing out there, they suspect it is, so I figure we have nothing to prove either way.

Besides the best way to stomp them is to lure them into a rolling start at about 45 in first...when you roll into it they will be left gasping.

I have had a Honda VTR1000, and a FZR-600 both mess with me at a light.  I look over, smile politely, and just shake my head no...it usually sends the right message, I am not going to risk the possible consequences on a race where the outcome is a given.  

Mostly I figure I have nothing to prove, I don't give a sh*t if the guy on the 9R thinks he's faster than me.  Most of these guys have much better tall tales of how fast the Busa is than we do anyway, I dunno I just try not to get suckered in.  When you get wrapped up in a street race you tend to focus a bit too much on winning and protecting your ego, this is when trully horrible things tend to happen.  Yeah Yeah, know I sound like an old lady...

But I seriously have a lot of fun watching the guy on his CBR 600 just LAUNCHING himself off the line and ripping past the cop sitting two blocks up.  Or the hot-rodders burning rubber while you sit back and look at them like their high...it's kinda fun in it's own right.  Leave them guessing, it just adds to the mystique...

Good to hear from you BTW been awhile...

Revlis....again you hit it on the head! When I bought my first "speed bike" (A very fast Norton 750 Commando...way before your time) from a neighbor he said, and I quote...

"you have nothing to prove, this bike is the fastest on the road. You can eat Corvettes and Ferraris alive with speed to spare, but you will not do that because you have nothing to prove."

Since then I have waved off hundreds of challengers...perhaps my age got the best of me. I wanted a "taste". I got it. Back to more sensible pace!

I do the same thing with chicks. They'll come up to me at a bar and kinda give me "the smile" and I just shake my head, cause I know, that I am just too damn good for them. lol
laugh.gif

I think you did great. In terms of both using your avaliable performance and your head.

Your bike isn't totally broken in yet. Once you get that first service done, then you will have many more RPMs to play with. The other guy's bike was tricked out some, but you didn't back down. You blasted off and gave him a good race.

Most importantly, you got off that throttle fast and at the first sign of trouble. Takes more sense to ease up than it does to hammer it down. Both you and your bike will live to race again.

All around a good showing.
thumbs-up.gif

Next time, rev the engine a bunch more, really showing that you want to race. When the light turns green, just sit there.
laugh.gif

Not to be the sissy here, but fast bikes, adrenaline and public roads are not always the best combination. Just make sure you study your surroundings carefully before launcing your next stop-light drag race.
thumbs-up.gif

Yup, rev the engine and smile if you want and when the light turns green, just pull out normal while they screetch out and look silly. I love doing that. I do it with my Mustang also.

I give you an F, sorry.

No I am just kidding with 360 miles and a bike you are getting use to, you did fine.

Next time, rev the engine a bunch more, really showing that you want to race. When the light turns green, just sit there.
laugh.gif

Not to be the sissy here, but fast bikes, adrenaline and public roads are not always the best combination. Just make sure you study your surroundings carefully before launcing your next stop-light drag race.
thumbs-up.gif
Hey Narc, you and I need to go ride sometime, I do this a lot as well. I used to do it my old 71' Plymouth Valiant Scamp. Had a 340, yadda, yadda. But one night leaving Loveland Colorado on hwy 287 northbound a real nice SS396 Chevelle pulled up on the passenger side. Well from the inside lane I could see the front of a state trooper cruiser peeking out from a side road, apparantly Chevy boy didn't see him. I was messing with him, reving the motor, creeping up, getting ready to do it. Well when the light changed I stomped it to the floor and just sat there smoking tires for a moment and then let off. He tore down the road I mean rippen, right past the cop and all his cherries as he pulled out...My buddies and I were rollin as we crept by really slow...Chevelle dude looked plenty pissed...

I do it now on the Busa, get my butt back, bring the revs up, light changes...and I idle away after watching rocket man go screaming up the road....Good fun...and a lot safer...

Sorry for the long story....

I do it for the same reasons though, the street is just to dangerous...

Though we have 3 bridges here in Tampa that are ripe for top speed runs. 12 miles, 4 lanes wide, no access, no hiding places...oh yeah...straight....one of the others is 7 miles no access, and the other is like 11 but there is alot of beach areas and a few places for cops... So I guess the bridges would be a good place for a drag race...But in most areas, racing from light to light is a sure way to get in trouble or hurt.

I don't know about you guys...but something doesn't sound right to me at all. No disrespect to you at all babuski, but I don't think the guy on the 12R was in it hard. If you were able to be slightly ahead and you weren’t even close to redlining that is simply amazing...
bored.gif
The 12 and the Busa are extremely close...all it takes is one person to make a mistake and the other bike is ahead (in the 1/4). We all know in the top end area Busa got it.

Also for someone breakin in the bike...you really shouldn't do hard acceleration or be over 6,000 rpms...7,000 max.

You know I'm normally always for the Busa...but this time I think he was toying with you in reality.

Daddy fatsac.....you are probably right....or he was just not that experienced of a rider. I haven't been on a fast bike for years and we were both probably amateurs. As I said I did not come anywhere near redline or 7000 RPM for that matter. I tend to take care of my machines and breakin is critical.

But your point is probably on the mark.

I agree...break her in properly and she will love for it. I remember after I broke my baby in and got that oil change... Oh sweet geezus...I almost busted a nutt on the tank!! Oh my it was great. I just hope I have that feeling again when I have to break her in for the second time (engine getting rebuilt).

Enjoy your beast!

Well...You did fine...You got it out of your system and no harm was done...But be cautious of that sort of challenge because it could result in jail or hospital...

Back