Replacing the stator/generator cover is not for folks with oily fingers !

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
Yikes she sucked that thing on there fast and hard ! :omg:
If not for my buddy Kml who warned me to make sure my finger tips were not over the edges of the cover I'd still be screaming in pain :laugh:

I've seen alot of guys who have gone down lately and one thing this first timer just realized is I should have washed my hands twice instead of once .
Between oily residue from taking old one off and sweaty fingers not wanting to screw anything up I almost pinched myself good ! So to anyone who's gonna replace their cover and hasn't done it before make absofreakinlutely sure the cover is dry and your hands/fingers are as well . Get a good grip but don't let your finger tips roll over edges cuz when she sucks that thing on there fast your gonna be bloody and jumpin' :)

Ken my fingertips thank you :laugh:
Have a Propeller ale on me my friend :beerchug:

It's a learning experience. ;)

Slightly magnetized. :laugh:

Img_0337_woodcraft_busa_800.jpg

Img_0337_woodcraft_busa_800.jpg

Tim says slightly :spank: :laugh:
The old one came right off and I didn't have to pull it with seemingly as much force as she sucked new one on with ?

Slightly he says :poke:

And of course he posts a pic of a Woodcraft cover I really want but can't afford :banghead:

Ha, I know what you mean, although I had the reverse issue. - I couldn't work out why my OEM stator cover wouldn't come off...turned out it was the sheer strength of the magnet!
I didn't pinch myself when I put the Woodcraft on (thanks, Tim!), since I was anticipating that happening.

Blanca, suck it up and get the Woodcraft; you won't regret it!

Ha, I know what you mean, although I had the reverse issue. - I couldn't work out why my OEM stator cover wouldn't come off...turned out it was the sheer strength of the magnet!
I didn't pinch myself when I put the Woodcraft on (thanks, Tim!), since I was anticipating that happening.

Blanca, suck it up and get the Woodcraft; you won't regret it!

I had the same problem, I thought that I had missed a bolt or something. :laugh:

It came off quite easily . I had to pull it a bit and I could feel the magnetism but when I went to put it on I got it just over and lined up and Faaaawooop she sucked it on there fast !
Like I said if I had had my fingers over the edges it would have hurt !

They warn you about the magnetism, but until you actually experienced it...kinda surprising just how stong it really is. Yes, gloves and CAREFUL are REALLY important! Undoubtedly would take a chunk of skin off if it got in the way!

Its amazing how hard that thing pulls in, When I took the old one off I just figured it was the gasket holding it on, Got all ready to put the new one on and it pulled it right of my hands.

Wow! you learn the darnest things on this site. Never would have figured that one......

That's why I said it. Kml told me about it and if he had not judging by how easy the old one came off i would not have been ready for the 'suck' of the new one. I got it lined up put it on a bit and she took right out of my hands cuz they were still a bit oily.
Could have been a really nasty screaming me at 1am last night . :)

I knew it was going to pull hard and even though you think your prepared, it still gives you a scare when it pulls in.

are these covers for protection in case of a drop/slide only? Or is there some other reason to use them?

I'm referring to the factory cover on the left side of the engine .
The one that Pashnit posted a pic of is an aftermarket one with a replaceable pad on it so if you drop the bike or crash it all you have to do is replace the $25 cover instead of the whole more expensive cover .
The factory one has no cover and looks like this in a simple fall over. I'm lucky it didn't crack when it fell because if it had i would no have been able to ride the 250 miles home.

Blancadamagepics009.jpg

Yikes she sucked that thing on there fast and hard ! :omg:
If not for my buddy Kml who warned me to make sure my finger tips were not over the edges of the cover I'd still be screaming in pain :laugh:

I've seen alot of guys who have gone down lately and one thing this first timer just realized is I should have washed my hands twice instead of once .
Between oily residue from taking old one off and sweaty fingers not wanting to screw anything up I almost pinched myself good ! So to anyone who's gonna replace their cover and hasn't done it before make absofreakinlutely sure the cover is dry and your hands/fingers are as well . Get a good grip but don't let your finger tips roll over edges cuz when she sucks that thing on there fast your gonna be bloody and jumpin' :)

Ken my fingertips thank you :laugh:
Have a Propeller ale on me my friend :beerchug:

Wasn't me, at least not that I recall. :laugh:

Nice looking cover by the way. :beerchug:

Here's a pic of my sexy bike with it's sexy stator cover.

winterbikepics001.jpg

cheers
ken

Last edited:
Back