Replacing rear brakes and have a prob.

jessup

Just because the dog eats it doesnt mean
Donating Member
Registered
Just yanked my break pads and shims and now the new pads won't fit in... Do I need a tool to compress the piston? It looked simple in the manual but for some reason I am stuck... The pads are Ebc FA 63HH,,, Any help would be aprreciated.

Yes you need to compress the pistons but I don’t use any special tools. I use the handle of a small screwdriver to gently coax it back in to place.

well, if you didn't compressed back the pistons before you take out the old pads...then you can press back with your hands...you just gotta take the caliper off from the swing arm...(watch out for other pistons coming out...)
and are you sure you got the same parts? compare it between the 2 pads...
SHOCKED.gif

Do I go in at a particular angle to compress them? They won't budge unless I m pushing the wrong thing>
E

i use a C-clamp too get them back in there. worked for me. you can try loosening the bleed valve if it still wont go back but beware, you will have fluid come out and youll have to bleed the brakes.

c clamp was a great idea thanks!
Thanks to everyone else too.
E

You should bleed some fluid every time you replace brake pads, instead of compressing the fluid back into the system. Not doing so can introduce contaminants (usually little bits of dirt) that can dammage the system.

Back