Replacing oil filter ?

Busa Dude

Donating Member
Registered
I was needing to change the oil and I was looking at it today, Can I squeeze the oil filter out without removing any Fairing ?

I have seen a guy do it. But can you do it without making a mess of your headers? Not likely.

ah yes the smell of hot oil. mmmmmmmmmmmm. always keep an absorbent towel over headers.

Take your right side fairing off - not that hard really.
I use an approx. 6"x5" piece of thin cardboard folded in a shallow " V" shape and place it under the oil filter to keep the oil off them headers. When you loosen the filter and as soon as the seal breaks - let the oil drain a few minutes before taking it off. Good luck!
cool.gif

I've asked this same question and for the most part everyone says to take of the fairing.

If anyone has pics showing how to do it without any removal I would still be interested in trying it once at least.

Just spend the 10 minutes to take the fairing off. While you have it off, CLEAN IT!

(300Busa @ Sep. 13 2006,11:19) Just spend the 10 minutes to take the fairing off.  While you have it off, CLEAN IT!
10 min?

It shouldn't take that long to do the whole change removing fairing included....

(DrBoom @ Sep. 13 2006,01:45) ah yes the smell of hot oil. mmmmmmmmmmmm. always keep an absorbent towel over headers.
Aluminum foil works real well too. I have header wrap on my pipes so keeping the oil off of them is crucial
wow.gif

(Red05 @ Sep. 13 2006,14:55)
(DrBoom @ Sep. 13 2006,01:45) ah yes the smell of hot oil. mmmmmmmmmmmm. always keep an absorbent towel over headers.
Aluminum foil works real well too. I have header wrap on my pipes so keeping the oil off of them is crucial  
wow.gif
same here... i wrap my headers under the oil filter with a big piece of foil... no oil on headers for me...

I run a piece of masking tape on each side of where the fairings come together, side & nose. Then I don't have to worry about the metal clips scratching anything if I do something stupid taking them off & putting on. Which I have, but was saved by the tape.

(magus @ Sep. 13 2006,12:47)
(300Busa @ Sep. 13 2006,11:19) Just spend the 10 minutes to take the fairing off.  While you have it off, CLEAN IT!
10 min?

It shouldn't take that long to do the whole change removing fairing included....
well, I don't claim to be the fastest around.

(fasttoys1 @ Sep. 13 2006,20:25) I run a piece of masking tape on each side of where the fairings come together, side & nose. Then I don't have to worry about the metal clips scratching anything if I do something stupid taking them off & putting on. Which I have, but was saved by the tape.
+1

Wish I done that the first time I changed mine. I could've avoided a few scratches.

Thats some great advice I have learned so much, Thats the first time I've had the fairing off and I was worried about it, not a big deal now, I see some sliders in my future now

Back