Replacing Grips

tcat

Registered
It's time to replace the factory grips and I have purchased a set of gel grips. The maker of the grips sent Super Glue to be used to adhere the grips to the bars. I know people use hairspray as well as other adhesives but I have never heard of Super Glue for the grips. It would seem to me that the super glue would set up to fast not allowing time to get the grip in their proper place. I know hairspray acts as a lubricant and aids in the slidding on of the grips. Any advise would be appreciated. Also if the product Griplock has served you well please let me know. Thank You TCAT

I used hairspray and it worked great. Also have heard of others using spray paint.

I'm suprised they provided super glue. There are quite a few varieties of those adhesives though. There are the instant ones, gels, and longer curing formulas.

The grips installed a few months ago came with glue that looked, smelled and acted just like contact cement. They slid on easily and the glue provided plenty of time for adjustment.

do the hairspray and forget the glue... It will be easier to replace later and it also helps to slip the grip over the bar...

Never had any issues with hairspray...
biggrin.gif

CLoud

When I put my Harris grips on I didn't use any glue at all, and they haven't moved a bit. I cleaned up the bars then wetted the bars and the inside of the grips with rubbing alcohol. Gotta work kinda fast, but it turned out perfect. No mess & easy future removal.

I just put helibars on my bike and I used rubbing alcohol to get the grips off the old bars and then used the alcohol again to get the grip on the new bar and after the alcohol evaporated the grip hasn,t moved yet.I didnt put any glue on.

When I put my Harris grips on I didn't use any glue at all, and they haven't moved a bit. I cleaned up the bars then wetted the bars and the inside of the grips with rubbing alcohol. Gotta work kinda fast, but it turned out perfect. No mess & easy future removal.
Ditto on the rubbing alcohol....works great and no mess.

Back