Replacement wheels ???

OB_KawAbuser

Registered
Has anyone had any success in mounting replacement wheels on their Busa?
I hear differant stories from differant importers.

Dymag - Island Racing Services states that the Hayabusa wheels are a differant part than a 1999 GSXR 750.

Performance Machine - States that the wheels are the same as the 99gsxr (stock brakes and chain line right up). P.M. stated that they have sold both the billet and the spun alumin um wheels. If you have these please post you info.

Marchensini - T.A.W. has no information as to fitment and makes no claims till the factory says something.

The PM wheels do not incorporate a cush hub and Dymag and Marchenisi do.

JeffW how are you doing with your wheel swap?

Here is *my* story:

I mounted my Technomagnesio superlight front wheel w/o any modifications in about 5 minutes. So you might say that the front wheels is 100% GSXR750 fit (because it is).

You may view this mounted wheel at my site:
http://fatman.pro-libertate.com/~jeffw
under -Motorcycle - Misc Busa Stuff.

Now for the rear. My Techno rear had been mounted on my GSXR1100 which has a different axle diameter. So I need to get bearings for it. I have 1/2 of what I need right now. I'm looking for the following 28mm x 54mm x 12mm.
After I get those, it should bolt right on.

So far as other brands, it's like the saying "you can tell the pioneer's because thay are the ones with arrows in their backs". Good luck to all, as most manuf. have never seen a Hayabusa. This is why they won't tell you if their products fits our bike or not.

On final word, I would strongly suggest that you not scrimp on $$ when adding aftermarket wheels. Insure the project is done correctly and is *safe*. It's your ass, not the mechanic who installed the wheels. In my case, it's my ass since I'm doing the install :)

The DEGA racing Hayabusa has Marcheesy wheels. (Im kiding they are great) and the team manager told me he pulled them right of the shelf for their GSXR750 98-99 models. Dymag does make a wheel too. I just ordered a pain and they are here now. I am wiating on tires then ill mount them and let you know how they do. You can check them out at www.superbikeracing.com
He is one of the 3 importers of Dymags in the USA. Located in South Ga.

As soon as I get mine on I will post photos. Make sure what ever wheel you get has full cush drive. I dont think RC or PM wheels do. Not 100% sure though

Don
RoadDog

Let me guess Don you got a pair of gold 5 spoke sport magnesiums. JeffW Im trying to make the decision betweem the Dymag 5 spoke Magnesiums and the Marchesini's. Any words of wisdom you can shed on this. The Marchesini's are available now and the Dymags I have to wait because Don scooped up the last pair imported. Are you guys changeing brakes as well I spoke with AP in Georgia and PFM-Yoyodyne in NJ. Can you share any knowledge on this subject.
And finally TIRES what are you going to use Dunlop207's(what compound) or Michelin Pilots, or ??????

PM wrote back today and said their Magnesium wheel could not take the Hayabusa power and suggested the spun aluminum wheels, PM stuff is available with a cush drive

Well I would go with the Marchesini's over the Dymag. Not many AMA guys running Dymag, but then again not many people run 16.5" rear rims either. Now if they were carbon fiber Dymags, then that is a horse of different color.

I'm going with street 207's, I happen to like them. The GP version will give you less grip on the street, most normal people would never get them hot enough (would like to try some race tires 207 [335 or 501] coumpound, but they are only in 180 size.

You would be quite surprised just how many GSXR750 parts are in the Busa.

Mag wheels will cost 500-900 each, figure $1600 for a set of Marchesini's

Our measurements concluded that you can use GSXR-750 wheels but make sure to replace the rear bearing with a C3 for better tolerance. 2 cents.

Back