Replaced Brake Lines with SS braided lines. Thanks to our sponsor McCoy Motorsports!

IG.

Registered
A picture is worth a thousand words, so...

20150223_232542.jpg

20150224_185908.jpg

20150223_231619.jpg

20150224_164752.jpg

20150224_165441.jpg

20150223_231641.jpg

20150224_164810.jpg

20150223_231707.jpg

20150224_165305.jpg

20150224_165145.jpg

Also, I replaced stock bleed screws with speed bleeders, which makes bleeding really convenient. Not something you do every day, so it was a rather slow and careful process. Tightening carefully to 15 ft lb, checking for leaks, bleeding, etc.

I have to say that I drained all fluid with my vacuum pump (similar to MightyVac) first in order to get rid of the old fluid. The fluid was reddish dark - really needed to be replaced anyway. When the system is empty, vacuum is the only way to fill it initially. Interestingly (and this is not the first time I observe this), using vacuum does not get rid of all the air. Although the fluid was coming out without any bubbles, I believe there were small pockets of air, and therefore no amount of vacuum pumping would get rid of it. The lever was somewhat mushy. However, when I used only lever about 5-7 times for each caliper in order to bleed the system, I could completely get rid of air, and the brake lever got as hard as it gets.

In the last picture, you can see a barely noticeable notch on the reservoir cover, which has it on both sides. These are very small cutouts meant to allow air to escape. It is extremely important to keep those clean, which is usually not an issue. However, with any kind of painting, chroming, or even taping, covering those tiny holes may lead to a devastating consequences. When you use brakes, everything heats up and expands, so the air needs to be able to escape. Otherwise, internal pressure builds up inside the reservoir and acts as if you are pressing on the brake lever. This may cause excessive pad dragging on the rotors, and in extreme case may lock up the front brakes without you even touching the lever - ouch! I'v heard that those things have happened to some.

The clutch line and the rear brake line would be next. I am on a roll here...

Re: Replaced Brake Lines with SS braided lines. Thanks to our sponsor McCoy Motorspor

Nice! What did you spend on the lines?

-D

Re: Replaced Brake Lines with SS braided lines. Thanks to our sponsor McCoy Motorspor

LQQking good

Nice! What did you spend on the lines?

-D

PM McCoy Motorsports, whatever deal they have now. Tell Nick or John that Igor (who bought a bunch of lines recently) sent you.

PM McCoy Motorsports, whatever deal they have now. Tell Nick or John that Igor (who bought a bunch of lines recently) sent you.

Right on, thanks

-D

Did you want to sell the stock lines?

Did you want to sell the stock lines?
Big E if you need a set of stock lines pm me and you can have mine just pay shipping.

Same here - you can have stockers for the price of shipping if something doesn't work out with nosbig. I also plan on replacing the rear brake line and the clutch line, so if you will need those, same deal.

Same here - you can have stockers for the price of shipping if something doesn't work out with nosbig. I also plan on replacing the rear brake line and the clutch line, so if you will need those, same deal.

I ordered a clutch line from Pashnit first of last week. As soon as it get here I am sending him the lot of them.

I ordered a clutch line from Pashnit first of last week. As soon as it get here I am sending him the lot of them.

Nosbig I think you have an echo :laugh:

Why change the clutch line? Isn't most of it steel tubing anyway with custom bends?

Nosbig I think you have an echo :laugh:

Why change the clutch line? Isn't most of it steel tubing anyway with custom bends?

Honestly arch, it is total vanity, I just want the clutchline to match he brake lines that I already have. Plus I am not a huge fan of all the compression fittings that are in the stock line. I am sure they are fine. Just seems like one line would be better than three lines put together to make one.

I don't do it for looks. Well, I did match my new lines' color (red) to the bike's color. Silver, black, blue, or green just wouldn't look right.

First of all, even per Suzuki maintenance schedule, all lines have to be replaced after 4 years (IIRC). I think there is a good reason to change the clutch line. When slipping the clutch, the feel is everything, and rubber lines definitely reduce such feel to a degree.

As to the rear, I wouldn't do it if not for a slight clearance problem. My rear brake pedal travel is limited by the aftermarket exhaust, so frankly I am unable to apply the rear all the way - maybe 30% at best before it touches the exhaust. I am hoping that after I replace the stock rubber line with SS braided line, the pedal travel distance will be reduced and I would be able to apply more braking power at the rear before the pedal hits the pipe. Not that I use rear much, but would like to have it operational just in case.

Back