Replace Ride Side Cover?? Help

PJ267

Registered
I scratched my ride side engine cover, where the starter is (not clutch cover). The entire cover bolts to the engine and the it goes up to the back side of the starter base where the starter goes through. I ordered what I needed the base cover ($115) and couple of gaskets. Few questions: How does the starter mount to the base, it looks like it just hanging there. 2) Beside the new gaskets to you use silcone?3) Bolting it back up, any pattern? Thanks for the help!

A pic would be nice to see what's exactly scratched. The starter just sits inside thehousing. There are two bolts that hold the starter in place but they'er located on top of the case/back of the starter motor. Swapping the cover is easy enough. Make sure you get all the bolts out. There are two hidden bolts. The manual shows you where all the boltrs can be found. You've got to work the cover off because there are two dowel pins for alignement and they hold it on pretty tight. Just take your time and you'll get the job done. :beerchug:

It's under Crank Case Cover.The starter is on the top part of this piece, but it's also goes down below the starter theround base that has the 2-allen plugs. It's all one piece where the 2-allen plugs up to the starter housing, I'm not sure what the piece is called. So I have to take of the starter cover to get at the starter mounting boulting bolts? Is there any gears in the way? Bolt pattern? Do I use silcone plus gasket or just gasket? thanks!!!!

Last edited:
you don't have to remove/unbolt the starter motor to replace the cover. I nt he attached pic you can see the two bolt heads which are hidden by gear.

If you don't have the service manual do a search and you'll find it. You can download it and it'll show you step by step the process and bolt pattern. Only replace the gasket.

P4115673.jpg

So there are gears that hide the 2 bolts? How to I remove the gears, and the starter stays attached to the top mount (what holds the starter in the top base), I thought it was all one piece, the lower and the top (back of the starter base) is that not the case? thanks

Last edited:
no it doesn't. Just get in there and you'll visualy see how it all goes together. You don't need this much advanced planning to tackle the replacement of the cover.

Commuta...in your last pic...did you remove a gear that sits on a dowl pin exposing the two hidden screws / bolts? Sorry if this is a retarded question...I just can't see the starter spinning the other gear without one conecting the two.

Ryan

yes, the only way to see and/or remove the two bolts you have to remove the gear assembly.

Commuta...in your last pic...did you remove a gear that sits on a dowl pin exposing the two hidden screws / bolts? Sorry if this is a retarded question...I just can't see the starter spinning the other gear without one conecting the two.

Ryan

Back