Replace Gen 1 Rolling Chassis with Gen 2

ccapse

Registered
Guys, this is my first post and I'm hoping I can get the low-down on the viability of this swap? I've done a lot of searching here but there are some questions I still can't seem to find the answers for.

I have a 2001 K1 which I am very happy with performance wise. I recently acquired a Gen 2 K8 rolling chassis. It basically includes everything except what was removed to power a kit-car and most of the bodywork forward of the seat is toast. My intention was/is to transplant the whole front end onto my bike and also to transplant the Gen 2 tail onto my bike as well. These swaps are pretty well documented. However, I kinda like the look of the totally black frame and swing arm on the K8 and given I have to paint the K8 tail to match my K1, I may go the whole way and re-paint the whole bike. Black is an obvious choice and I was thinking, that instead of painting my K1 frame, why don't I put my K1 engine and forward bodywork into the K8 rolling chassis and use the K8 wheels, swingarm etc?

If you are still with me, I have the following questions:

1- Is the K8 frame the same as the K1, that is, will all the relevant K1 stuff fit/bolt on/line-up? I have seen both yes and no answers to this sort of question in other threads.
2- Would the K8 rear sprocket line-up with the K1 front sprocket? I had heard that the K8 front sprocket had some offset on it. If this would work, I get the K8 43t sprocket for free and end with a nice 17/43 ratio.
3- Will the K1 rear sprocket carrier fit the K8 wheel? This is an option if the answer to # 2 is no.
4- Will my K1 Ohlins rear shock fit into the K8 suspension linkages.
5- As another option, will the K8 swing arm fit the K1 Frame? this would at least give me half a black frame and make it easier to use the K8 back wheel and neater K8 rear brake position
6- Will the K8 back wheel fit into the K1 swing arm, using my K1 spacers if I have to, incase I go this way and want to match the rear wheel with the front, if I still decide to just swap the front end's over.

As you can see there are several options here on how I can approach this project. Any help would be appreciated before I pull everything to bits and start measuring.

Thanks in advance for you help.

all busa have the same main frame...swingarm are diferent on gen 2s but i believe are slightly longer on gen 2 you can transplant your motor...throttle bodies,air box and air ducts make sure you do the ecu and wire harness as well they are different gen1-2...whichever body work u decide to use you have to use the main stay from that bike ...the gauges on the gen 1 dont fit the gen 2 dash...not sure if the gen1-2 gauges will swap using the gen 1 wire harness....forks and brakes are better on the gen 2, i believe the wheels are lighter slightly...and since they have the same motor i would think there wouldnt be a sproket issue other then the gen 2's output shaft is larger then gen 1's...im pretty sure you cant exchange gen1 for 2 rear hub or visa vers...

so if it where me id use the gen 2 fram swingarm and forks, wheels and brakes
gen 1 motr, ecu, wire harness and rectifier
then chose wich front end, main stay and dash
then choose wich tail(sub frame) use body work and seats for that sub frame
you can use gen 1 sub frame and gen 1 tail if u choose and the rest gen 2 or visa versa

Last edited:
all busa have the same main frame...swingarm are diferent on gen 2s but i believe are slightly longer on gen 2 you can transplant your motor...throttle bodies,air box and air ducts make sure you do the ecu and wire harness as well they are different gen1-2...whichever body work u decide to use you have to use the main stay from that bike ...the gauges on the gen 1 dont fit the gen 2 dash...not sure if the gen1-2 gauges will swap using the gen 1 wire harness....forks and brakes are better on the gen 2, i believe the wheels are lighter slightly...and since they have the same motor i would think there wouldnt be a sproket issue other then the gen 2's output shaft is larger then gen 1's...im pretty sure you cant exchange gen1 for 2 rear hub or visa vers...

you can use gen 1 sub frame and gen 1 tail if u choose and the rest gen 2 or visa versa

Spot on!
icon6.gif

even the same triple tree??????

DJSIN, thanks very much for the information. Interesting that the Gen 2 swing-arm may be slightly longer, I'll definitely measure that. I guess longer may mean slightly slower turn-in but I'll see. Thanks again.

One more thing. Is the Front Brake Master Cylinder the same on the Gen 1 and Gen 2? The brake lever is broken off the Gen 2 chassis I have and I'm not sure if there was any damage to the Master Cylinder so if I can just re-use my Gen 1 master cyklinder I'll do that. Thanks

I believe they are they same..and I have a chrome lever if you need it

Back