Rented a Polaris Slingshot today!

Slowstang305

Registered
Decided to do something interesting today and rented a Polaris Slingshot from a local private owner. Booked it for 9AM - 9PM and rode it around for most of that time. Came home tired, sunburned like a damn tomato but with a grin on my face. I never really liked them too much as they seemed to be too bland but that is until I drove one! They are actually a ton of fun! No, they aren't really fast but theres much more to enjoy. I still felt like I was free and not stuck in a cage which was the biggest benefit.

It was a beautiful bright red color. I would have chosen black if I had a choice since those are less flashy and look better I think at least. I made sure the rental came with unlimited mileage as I hate worrying about that kind of stuff. I put a good 300+ miles on it today and sadly had to return it.

For those that are not familiar, they are 5 Speed Manual transmission "Motorcycles" that require a MOTO endorsement in many estates except FL. There was a decal inside the car that said a full face helmet was a requirement but this isn't the case with FL. I wouldn't personally call this thing a motorcycle as it just felt more like a go cart of sorts. It has a small yet peppy engine but personally I felt that another 50HP would not have hurt. It held traction from 1st gear and did not spin tires. I took it to highway speeds and at 60-70-80mph she felt stable. MPG displayed was an average of 24.6MPG. I have seen some people attain close to 30MPG from higway cruising. This is the SL version so it did come with the reverse camera. I did not find that too helpful as I look back when I back up anyways. I'm 6'3 so I looked over the windshield and that cause a little bit of turbulence while cruising. Shorter people would probably be a little bit more comfy. Because it is a 3 wheeler, avoiding pot holes was a little difficult for obvious reasons. This current rental had 11k miles when I picked it up and was in brand new shape. The clutch grabbed correctly etc. I did hear some wierd noises out of the rear which could have been a bearing noise of some sort at random times. Not too sure...

Overall I was pretty happy with it! If I had more space/money I would probably pick one up and make it a daily driver. The headlights at night were decent and lit up the road enough. These things definitely need some sort of power adder... Now, wish I could rent a T-Rex.
IMG_3845.JPG

IMG_3804.jpeg

IMG_3812.jpeg

Nice write up. Cheeky girlfriend! Glad you had fun. There are several around here, people seem to enjoy them.

I’ve had occasion to ride shotgun in one too noisy for me,must have had an after market exhaust

Those things scream “Mid Life Crisis” :D

A lot of people buy em but very few keep em......

Any place I’ve seen that sells will knock thousands off the MSRP and that’s before you even say hello!!!

If I was to get a 3 wheel thinga mah jig it would be a Vanderhall. Aesthetically pleasing to the eye more attention to detail and less plasticy boat feel to it

Some years back as I was waiting on a new Corbin seat for one of my bikes, they let me take one with a Corbin interior for a drive. I say drive because it had a steering wheel. :D Had a nice floor shifter, dash and pedal layout just like a car and although it had some punch, it seemed like it had all the elements of a car w/o any of the benefits like a roof or heater or doors or windows.:laugh: Takes up a full size parking space and you can’t lane split with it. The most annoying thing about it was the effort needed trying to get out of it. Needs a removable steering wheel.

One of my former colleagues has one and he is a big man...I laugh when I see him try to get in and out of it...it is most definitely a mid life crisis for him....

Those things scream “Mid Life Crisis” :D
A lot of people buy em but very few keep em......
Any place I’ve seen that sells will knock thousands off the MSRP and that’s before you even say hello!!!
If I was to get a 3 wheel thinga mah jig it would be a Vanderhall. Aesthetically pleasing to the eye more attention to detail and less plasticy boat feel to it
I noticed that as well. The market is flooded with them for 1/2 off with 3-4k miles. I saw a Vanderhall on the highway last week, definitely impressive. But I do believe they are 30-35k $$$$.
Some years back as I was waiting on a new Corbin seat for one of my bikes, they let me take one with a Corbin interior for a drive. I say drive because it had a steering wheel. :D Had a nice floor shifter, dash and pedal layout just like a car and although it had some punch, it seemed like it had all the elements of a car w/o any of the benefits like a roof or heater or doors or windows.:laugh: Takes up a full size parking space and you can’t lane split with it. The most annoying thing about it was the effort needed trying to get out of it. Needs a removable steering wheel.
I didn't mind the steering wheel actually. I took this thing as a go cart. Not supposed to be crazy comfortable but still a ton of fun. I didn't mind the steering wheel but it did seem a little big for what this thing needed. Maybe a cutoff wheel like the C8 would be a bit better.
'Bout the goofy-est thing I had the displeasure of operating.3rd or 4th trip to Vegas. Mohave dessert,I think. Had to drive them on the side of the road too.View attachment 1615872

Rubb.View attachment 1615871
Alright alright not the same thing LOL
One of my former colleagues has one and he is a big man...I laugh when I see him try to get in and out of it...it is most definitely a mid life crisis for him....
LOL

Back